[T3] Thraxx, Marweas, do you guys play other FPS games?

I realize that, but the fact of the matter is, the ctf in tribes2 follows the q2 ctf rule for rule flag wise. 2 flags; one must be brought to the other to score; your flag must be home to score; when you die with the flag you drop it, a teamate can pick it up, an enemy can grab it and it autmatically returns.

The irl version of ctf has many differnt rule varrients, but what most, if not all of us think of think of the vanilla q2 ctf as the standard.

But just to ammuse you here is another example. The rocket jump was accidently invented in Quake1. Almost every deathmatch fps has a rocketjump varriant to this date. Tribes has the discjump for example. No one is really copying quake's rocket jump anymore, it's just most of us feel it is a game standard.

Sir Lucius said:
Yes actually. I'm pretty sure they planned on it based on the popularity of the rocket jump from quake 1.

Well, I had a nice little picture planned out. A fat block of lead sitting on a table with red text above it saying, "This is your brain." Unfortunately, I searched google for about 15 minutes and could not find a suitable picture. Therefore, I suck at teh intarweb.

i hope the next installment of tribes doesnt "steal" from other games, because it is so different. think how many other FPS's are player outside, with jet packs, and have skiing in them. these 3 things are what makes tribes, well tribes. if you want to take the double jump from ut2k3 or whatever you certainly could do that, but when you have a jetpack i think it might be like getting a beer, when you already have a whole slab. :shrug:

unless there is a lot more indoor fighting i dont see how many ideas that could be inplemented are going to make as bigger difference in tribes as they do in their respective title.

rilkean panther said:
I ask this because I rarely see any cross game dialogue in discussions about the Tribes franchise. Is it taboo to borrow from or imitate what other developers have innovated in their games?

In general, I think T3 needs not only to be compared to T1 and T2, but to other games on the market. There should be no taboo whatsoever to humbly enter a wider dialogue of what makes an FPS title excellent.

So, again, I wondered if you guys thought there was any taboo in borrowing or imitating what other developers have innovated in their FPS titles, and if privately since not publically, you talk about such things.
Yes, we both play Noone Lives Forever all the time, and are planning to put a kitty bomb in Tribes, as well as lipstick bombs.

:no:

Real Answer: Sure, we play everything, and we are of course influenced by everything we play. You'd probably be surprised to here some of the games that cause us to pause and say "hmmmm", but we do play other games, yes.

I have a sign on my monitor that says "Why are there 100,000 people playing Counter-Strike right now?". The moment I can say why for sure, I'll roll that essence into Tribes, but I'm not holding my breath. Alex just keeps saying "Because it's free, stupid", and maybe he's right. It still perplexes me though.

BTW, you get no points for spelling my name wrong.

Thrax Panda said:

How about I just call you Thraxle Rose? O where do we go now?

Why do you think so many people play counterstirke?

What are some of those elusive games that have made you pause, and due to which elements therein?

Have you seen some of the map designs for Natural Selection? :eek:oglez: I realize that some of those guys might be some of the guys Sierra chit-canned at some point, but...stunning. True designers.

Soldier of Fortune 2 offered a kill sound for whenever you killed someone, (hence the name). The newly released Vietcong game borrowed this gem and made it toggleable. Whether you like Vietcong or not, somebody was paying attention. Little things go along way. Many little things, among other great things = Hall of Fame.

(P.S. You had to like those cliffs in Nolf2, no?)

Thrax Panda said:
I have a sign on my monitor that says "Why are there 100,000 people playing Counter-Strike right now?". The moment I can say why for sure, I'll roll that essence into Tribes, but I'm not holding my breath. Alex just keeps saying "Because it's free, stupid", and maybe he's right. It still perplexes me though.

1. Free
2. Runs on old machines

Back