Tribes 3

pocketgamer said:
I'm saying that while you feel T:V was an entertaining game for a few months, that is great for you, but .. .

1. T:V had Tribes in the name, but really didn't live up to being what Tribes is about.

a. People who bought the game, didn't like it, will now probably avoid another Tribes game just becase its name, even though Tribes 3 would be pretty much T1, which is a different game on many levels then T:V is.

b. The odds of a developer makign a Tribes 3 is slim at best, just because T:V failed, but again, T:V doesn't represent Tribes, but that's not how a developer or general gamer will see it.

2. Before T:V, T2C Competition was doing just fine. We lost several teams to T:V. We are now getting some of them back, but T2C may never recover from such a big hit.

T:V has done a lot to hurt this community. So again, I'm glad that you got a few months of enjoyment out of it, but is it worth it in the end? If you're a true tribes fan, the answer will be NO.

Listen, what did my few months of enjoyment do to bring you down? What effect did my playing T:V have on you and the community? Was I wrong to have played it? If so, why? How did I contribute to Tribes dying?

Second, would you rather have half an apple? Or none at all? Obviously you would want the the entire apple, but in my question, you have to choose one or the other. You see where I'm going with this?

pocketgamer said:
I'm saying that while you feel T:V was an entertaining game for a few months, that is great for you, but .. . .

1. T:V does not have massive bugs

a. You have no idea what any sequel to Tribes would be like

b. We are extremely lucky to even have any sequel at all.

2. What were the player numbers of T1/T2 before they were released for free downloads? You imply that no one likes T2 comp because of T:V?

No...YOU have not helped the community. You blame a PC game for your miserable life?
You have stolen from the community by dividing it further.

DEbig3 said:
what experience do you have that makes you think youd be able to do this?
I don't have the programming knowledge that's required for those things, that's true. However, I've been gaming my whole life. I've been everywhere from the bottom of competition when I was a new to a game, to top-level, being an experienced player. I even played a long time without having any idea that there was "competition" around. I remembering thinking teams were just "buddy" clans. I think I know what would keep the vets happy (and make them happier), all while giving newer players a chance to improve/get addicted.

Of course there are many players out there that have been playing the Tribes series even longer than me, and they might even have some programming abilities, but that won't amount to anything, if they don't have common sense or the foresight to see problems with design. Heck you can teach anyone how to program (some better than others of course), but you can't teach someone to be intelligent.

You have to admit... even with all the people that hate me in this community (which I think has dropped significantly over the past year I think), I still received, by far, the most support for all of my ideas and posts (concerning gameplay and problems). Before the beta was even out, I knew that the grapple would ruin the way Tribes was meant to be played. I knew (and publically said it many times before beta) that it would be used as a slingshot to do 90 degree turns and u-turns on the ground/objects, to increase speed... which would basically leave defense in the dust (most of the time). Then when beta did come out, I was one of the first people complaining about how overpowered it was, and how ridiculous it was trying to stop even a mediocre capper, let alone the "grapple masters" we have today.

In my honest opinion, my weakness in an area like this, would be my imagination, or rather lack of. I've never had a really amazing imagination like some people. For example, my friend was great with photoshop. He could come up with these amazing ideas and give a layout, but then I could come in... give some suggestions, change a couple things, and end up making it look ten times better. I may not have the imagination to come up with the idea, but I feel that I do know what would make it look best (just an example). Another weakness (considering 70% of the players are just pub players), is that I feel that I would design the gameplay primarily around competition... sort of like the Quake series in that aspect.

I still have no doubts about my ability to design a good Tribes game though... not even close.

Last edited:
The Pumpkin King said:
Listen, what did my few months of enjoyment do to bring you down? What effect did my playing T:V have on you and the community? Was I wrong to have played it? If so, why? How did I contribute to Tribes dying?

Second, would you rather have half an apple? Or none at all? Obviously you would want the the entire apple, but in my question, you have to choose one or the other. You see where I'm going with this?

OK, first of all. . . I get the whole apple, but that apple is so terrible and nasty, that I never want to try another apple again in my life. That's what T:V has done to the Tribes name for a lot of people.

And .. . . since you didn't read what you quoted and responded to, I will reply with the same exact thing I already wrote, because I don't feel the need to retype it.

---------

I'm saying that while you feel T:V was an entertaining game for a few months, that is great for you, but .. .

1. T:V had Tribes in the name, but really didn't live up to being what Tribes is about.

a. People who bought the game, didn't like it, will now probably avoid another Tribes game just becase its name, even though Tribes 3 would be pretty much T1, which is a different game on many levels then T:V is.

b. The odds of a developer makign a Tribes 3 is slim at best, just because T:V failed, but again, T:V doesn't represent Tribes, but that's not how a developer or general gamer will see it.

2. Before T:V, T2C Competition was doing just fine. We lost several teams to T:V. We are now getting some of them back, but T2C may never recover from such a big hit.

T:V has done a lot to hurt this community. So again, I'm glad that you got a few months of enjoyment out of it, but is it worth it in the end? If you're a true tribes fan, the answer will be NO.

pocketgamer said:
Uhm, what are you talking about? T2C competition was "dead" way before TV came out.

pocketgamer said:
OK, first of all. . . I get the whole apple, but that apple is so terrible and nasty, that I never want to try another apple again in my life. That's what T:V has done to the Tribes name for a lot of people.

And .. . . since you didn't read what you quoted and responded to, I will reply with the same exact thing I already wrote, because I don't feel the need to retype it.

---------

K, apparently you don't realize that I agree with you. It sucks that T:V wasn't the incredible game it could have been. It also suck that there probably wouldn't be a sequal now. I agree I agree and I agree.

However, two or three months of fun gameplay is better than none at all. You get it? I mean, think about this concept of something being greater than nothing for a second and figure out what I'm saying here. If you don't get it this time I'm not typing it again.

Your downtalking me as if I wasn't a true fan is both insulting and a joke. I have been to every single UVAlan ever held in addition to several NovaLan's. I'm not saying I have contributed heavily, but it's probably a lot more than you have. What makes you qualified to make these assumptions and judgement calls about me?

Validuz said:
Uhm, what are you talking about? T2C competition was "dead" way before TV came out.
T2C comp is still alive today, but it is not fresh anymore due to a lack of new people. You get tired of playing the same teams. So no it has never actually been dead.

The Pumpkin King said:
K, apparently you don't realize that I agree with you. It sucks that T:V wasn't the incredible game it could have been. It also suck that there probably wouldn't be a sequal now. I agree I agree and I agree.

However, two or three months of fun gameplay is better than none at all. You get it? I mean, think about this concept of something being greater than nothing for a second and figure out what I'm saying here. If you don't get it this time I'm not typing it again.

Your downtalking me as if I wasn't a true fan is both insulting and a joke. I have been to every single UVAlan ever held in addition to several NovaLan's. I'm not saying I have contributed heavily, but it's probably a lot more than you have. What makes you qualified to make these assumptions and judgement calls about me?

And all I'm saying is that a few months of fun from T:V caused a lot of damage.

If T:V was simply named Vengence, and sold as a Tribes spinoff at best, then it probably would have been fine as far as I'm concerned. The fact that it was sold as a Tribes game is what caused the problem and why I know things would have been better without it.

Again, T:V did more damage then good. That's all there is to it. How can you argue this? Tell me how T:V has helped our current situation?

I think it's the bitching that keeps us alive. When T1 came out, people started bitching, and hey waddaya know, its 2k5 and still going strong. I mean this in a good way.

But I think we could all agree on,

T1 Physics.
T1 Blast Shadows
T1/T2 Netcode
T2 Invo's(sped up)
T2 Deployables
T2 Command system

Probably the closest negotiations that make sense to date.

Don't forget the soundpacks from either/or!

Oh.. and easily add the modding and skinning for T2.

The netcode for T1 was the best in the history of online gaming. Server resources were less than CS, a close second btw. =)

pocketgamer said:
And all I'm saying is that a few months of fun from T:V caused a lot of damage.

If T:V was simply named Vengence, and sold as a Tribes spinoff at best, then it probably would have been fine as far as I'm concerned. The fact that it was sold as a Tribes game is what caused the problem and why I know things would have been better without it.

Again, T:V did more damage then good. That's all there is to it. How can you argue this? Tell me how T:V has helped our current situation?

I won't argue that, because I agree. As in, I share the same opinion. Meaning, I don't refute that point.

Look n'mind.

pocketgamer said:
T2C comp is still alive today, but it is not fresh anymore due to a lack of new people. You get tired of playing the same teams. So no it has never actually been dead.
Yea, well I saw a Quake1 ladder recently... I guess it's still "alive"? No, sorry. A couple teams on a ladder, don't make it "alive".

|CO|Kapeket!! said:
Probably the closest negotiations that make sense to date.

Don't forget the soundpacks from either/or!

Oh.. and easily add the modding and skinning for T2.

The netcode for T1 was the best in the history of online gaming. Server resources were less than CS, a close second btw. =)

I think you would want the sound packs from 2. . .. or alteast updated soundpacks from 1. I like a lot of the sounds from 1, but the quality hurst my ears.

I think it would be a given to use the T2 net code, as it is already created for our engine. I agree with you that T1 netcode is the best I've ever experianced, but T2 netcode is pretty darn close, and would probably be easy to port into T3.

Back