Tribes 3

pocketgamer

Veteran X
OK .. .. Tribes 3 is a reality. This community is pretty large, one of the largest communities centered around a single game/series. Most other communities that challenge our size are for entire consoles. I can only think of a few that challenge our size with only a single game or series.

Of these large communities that are as active as we, all of them have a very bright future, whether is be that they have sequels currently being made, or are consoles with tons of games always coming out. This is the only community I can think of, please throw some out if I'm wrong, that doesn't have a very bright looking future.

We had a pretty bright future after T2. No matter what people say, the fact is that the sales of T2 were significant enough to merit another sequel. Before T:V, I think we had a pretty bright future, and I feel most of us thought we would see a sequel at some point in the future. We were right, we got T:V.

T:V was supposed to be all that which many T1 vets wished T2 to be. For many of us who were turned off by T2, all was forgiven when T2C came out. With T2C to play and T:V in development, things were looking better and better.

Things started taking a turn for the worst when T:V developers started making poor decisions that would make T:V their vision, and maybe not exactly the vision of the community. When beta become available to the public, it became apparent that things were not going to turn out as bright as we once hoped. The developers were defending their stance, and what made it worse was that many people were also defending VUG, believing that they knew what was best, or that they would fix the downfalls.

T:V released, and not to many's surprise, it bombed miserably. Those who had defended VUG kept shutting us nay Sayers up, saying to wait a few months, things would change. Or that, the release time frame stunted it's sales, or possibly that once the price dropped people would pick it up. Little by little, people gave in to the fact that they were wrong. Many who did make the mistake of buying the game, started to regret it. VUG went into hiding. People like Thrax who were very active before release, are long gone.

And now, the community is at this point where we are arguing which game sucked the most. What killed Tribes. Most believe that Tribes has no future at this point, but I don’t buy into it. A community this large and active deserves a game made for it to keep the fire burning.

So then, where do we go? Here is what we do. We WORK TOGTHER!

First we make a plan. What we want in our game.

First we want the physics to be that of T1. Then we want this vehicle from T2. We want to add this from T2. We need to drop this from T1. . . .. and so we go on. How can we best decide these things? With a vote. The moderators need a multivote where we can vote for features to be put into the game. Every feature needing 50% to make it into the list. Once we had a list with all the features we want in Tribes 3, we take that list, and we present it for our Game plan for Tribes 3 to VU.

If we present a clear plan of what needs to happen for Tribes 3 to be successful, and can convince VU it’s worth their time/money, then a large company like VU can easily come up with the resources to make it happen.

There is still a lot of money in the Tribes name. With a strong community backing it, and a good game at release, it won’t even need a huge marketing budget to reach the masses. If it is a good game, it will get around different forums and people will pick it up.

But nothing will happen, and our game will go nowhere as long as people come into these threads and destroy the purpose of them. That’s why I propose a forums dedicated to the creation of Tribes 3, and those who put down the idea within those doors are banned from that area.

A community of our size deserves to have a game in development, and I think we have the power to get the wheel spinning.

The problem is... we will all get sued. But anyways, I believe the best chance we have is porting either Tribes 1 or Tribes 2 to Torque Shader Engine with new maps, graphics, sounds, and ummm... that's it?

Aesop aka Thrax - You're one of those people that would probably be banned from T3 section of the forum.

Plazmasnake - What? No . .. VU (Owner of the Tribes name) would be the ones to produce our game. We are meirly presenting the details of the game to them, along with a reason as to why it is worth their time and money.

I still think with the map pack and some mods and such, T:V can be a pretty good game. I think we should use the voting system and vote on the things that can be changed and then release a mod based on community desires. The things that cannot be done in T:V are left alone. Seems like a fast and easy potential solution.

This community isn't THAT BIG. I'd assume only about 2000 in the entire Tribes series. I can't blame them for changing Tribes the game industry has launched AMAZING games and our typical vision pf T3 wasn't gonna cut it they wanted to make a hit. Sadly they failed. :(

NetAtNite said:
I still think with the map pack and some mods and such, T:V can be a pretty good game. I think we should use the voting system and vote on the things that can be changed and then release a mod based on community desires. The things that cannot be done in T:V are left alone. Seems like a fast and easy potential solution.

First off, we don't want to work with T:V. The Unreal engine is disgusting. The netcode is horrible. The developers couldn't get skiing right, who knows if we could. The OOB grid does not belong in Tribes. . . . . .. The problems are too many.

Next, the competitive community is slowly comming to an end. We need a fresh batch of players, along with bringing out the older players. A new game built from the ideas of the community, built by a developer could fill this need. Tribes is still far different then any other FPS, and will still be accepted by the average cosnumer if the box art is done nicely, forums are raving about it, and reviewers are raving about it. If we had T1 with better graphics and a few other small changes, voted upon by the community, then I think we would have a HOT game for the masses to enjoy.

Bloodwrath 2 said:
This community isn't THAT BIG. I'd assume only about 2000 in the entire Tribes series. I can't blame them for changing Tribes the game industry has launched AMAZING games and our typical vision pf T3 wasn't gonna cut it they wanted to make a hit. Sadly they failed. :(

I'm talking about the activity of the forums. While the reason why many people stay may have nothing to do with Tribes at this point, many would pick up a Tribes 3 if it was Tribes 1 with a few things from T2C, and possibly a few new things, but still 90% T1.

This is all a waste of time. VUG (or any other publisher for that matter) will never pick up the half-brained ideas of a few forum personalities and blindly develop a title based on them. All other things aside, that is not how the real world works.

The best bet this community has right now is either a) retreating back into T1 and T2 (which has been happening in pretty large numbers lately, from what I've seen), or b) develop and perfect Legends. The base is already there, the right feel is there, all it needs is some community support and it will go places. People will play a game (especially if it receives good feedback) simply because it is free. This is the basis AA works on, and it works great. All Legends really needs is some TSE graphics and some polish.

NetAtNite said:
Therein lies much of the problem. Most people want T2 with better graphics.

You people need to learn how to read, or stop responding with stuff.

First off, if we took a poll, everything would lead to people wanting T1 with better graphics.

But that's not my point. I don't want T1 or T2 with better graphics. I want the best of both, and maybe a few small additions with better graphics, and I think most of the community also would want this.

Here is my list -

T1 Physics. Plus T2 auto jump
T2 Shocklance
T2 Air vehicles + Possibly MPB
T2 Weapon physics
T1 Blast Shadows
T1/T2 Netcode (Both are great, and probably similar)
T2 Invo's(sped up)
T2 Deployables
T2 Command system

Now some things that would probably need to be voted on is something like the Shocklance, where some people like it, and some don't.

Another thing would be vehicles. Which ones carry over, and any possible new ones.

But I think we could all agree on,

T1 Physics.
T1 Blast Shadows
T1/T2 Netcode
T2 Invo's(sped up)
T2 Deployables
T2 Command system

But I think voting will be the only way to determine what the majority want.

Celios said:
This is all a waste of time. VUG (or any other publisher for that matter) will never pick up the half-brained ideas of a few forum personalities and blindly develop a title based on them. All other things aside, that is not how the real world works.

The best bet this community has right now is either a) retreating back into T1 and T2 (which has been happening in pretty large numbers lately, from what I've seen), or b) develop and perfect Legends. The base is already there, the right feel is there, all it needs is some community support and it will go places. People will play a game (especially if it receives good feedback) simply because it is free. This is the basis AA works on, and it works great. All Legends really needs is some TSE graphics and some polish.

I agree that retreating to T2C is ideal. But I don't think we can bring back competition to the level I my self am looking for.

Legends is great and all, if the graphics/models/skins were better, but again, getting the numbers we need is pretty hard.

Actually releasing a game gets us the numbers we need. I think we could sell our ideas to VU. The best salesman can sell anything. I'm good at selling stuff. There is nothing I have not been able to sell for a very good price. I know if we laid down a solid foundation, gave them the blue prints, and then told them who their business will be, then I don't think they could refuse to lay down the money to build us Tribes 3.

pocketgamer said:
First off, we don't want to work with T:V. The Unreal engine is disgusting. The netcode is horrible. If we had T1 with better graphics and a few other small changes, voted upon by the community, then I think we would have a HOT game for the masses to enjoy.

Who is this "We", you got a turd in your pocket? I agree with Net. The easiest and cheapest way is to merely mod T:V. The DC MOD for BF1942 makes it a whole new game, but it is mostly reskinned and some weapon mods. T:V is salvageable.

Aesop-The evil one said:
Who is this "We", you got a turd in your pocket? I agree with Net. The easiest and cheapest way is to merely mod T:V. The DC MOD for BF1942 makes it a whole new game, but it is mostly reskinned and some weapon mods. T:V is salvageable.

The only reason you even want to believe that is because it's in your best interest.

It would be easier to up the graphics in T2C and re-release it then it would be to fix T:V.

There are balance changes you can make, but there are some things that cannot be brought back from T1/T2. I'm not trying to pass judgment here, but the physics in T:V was not designed around what the previous games could do.

At this point maybe we should just call the whole thing off and work on multiplayer Ms. Pacman. Pocketgamer could be the 'pink' ghost. PJ could be one of the blue dots.

Yeah T:V was a mistake the second they chose the UT engine as a base.

But guys .. . I don't want this thread to become what every other thread has come. I want to get past the step of denial/crying and move onto a solution that does not include T:V.

Aesop-The evil one said:
Then go to the T2 forums.

This is Tribes talk. T:V is not even half of what makes up a Tribes game. I'm in the wrong forum. Thrax .. . you missed the point when making T:V, and you miss the point now. Please stop spamming my thread.

Back