Is Irrational Listening to/Implementing *the big gripes*?

BitRaiser said:
Between the time that I started this thread (pre-release) and now 7 of those 9 have caved in and bought the game. They didn't pick it up for what's in the box tho. They bought it after seeing what I've been doing with the toolset and hearing about how moddable the game is.

As a stand alone product, yes T:V has perty much proved itself to be abysmal. However, I and the mentioned buddies have looked beyond to see what it could become with some community TLC.
I'm hoping someone in the community steps up and "fixes" T:V base, or mods something spectacular that makes me want to buy T:V. I've been really looking forward to SS:2845 and hope its release is enough to justify the purchase. I agree the potential is there, but I don't know if anyone cares enough about the game to warrant the effort.

ScratchMonkey said:
Why would one want to, say, re-create T2 with T:V instead of starting with Source or the regular UT platform? (Remember that I'm talking about the platform for modders, not the game for players.)
I'd prefer a new Tribes game on the updated Torque engine. I think some of the things I don't like about T:V draw from the choice of engine, which I feel was wrong for the franchise from the start.

IrritAnt said:
That's a massive generalisation unsupported by any facts.
this i beg to differ on. i'm sure VUG/IGA has a number pointing out exactly how many copies of this game were purchased since day 1. go online, look through servers, and tell me how many people are playing. take stats over a week. there ARENT THAT MANY PEOPLE that are still playing. 1/2 my comp team has quit playing because they're dissatisfied. many TWL ladder teams have stepped off the ladder because they're dissatisfied. i'd say there are some pretty solid facts that are pointing in the opposite direction.

LouCypher said:
I agree the potential is there, but I don't know if anyone cares enough about the game to warrant the effort.

And that's the crying shame. People just seem happier to rant and wail or bitch and scream than to actually support the product. T1 was a ghost town for many months after it's release. T2 barely even functioned until almost half a year after launch.

I haven't seen any short comings that are irreparable.

We are going to need some help from Irrational tho.
Hopfully all the nastiness woun't stop 'em from pushing forward and doing some really strong after-market support.

BitRaiser said:
We are going to need some help from Irrational tho.
Hopfully all the nastiness woun't stop 'em from pushing forward and doing some really strong after-market support.
I don't think a gaming forum full of Tribal zealots is going to drive off the DEV team. If we do, well maybe we should replace them with Derek Smart clones.

IrritAnt said:
That's a massive generalisation unsupported by any facts.

I'm sorry but i disagree....

I wanted to love tv so badly it hurt, but the fact is, its has no long lasting attraction at all! Its's half the single player HL2 is, and it's less than 1/50th the multi-player fun that T1 and T2 where! :(

I hate to say it, but i always thought that the jetpack would keep me interested no matter what, but ig and vu, you have proved me, as well as almost every other tribes player i know personnaly, wrong..

Im from oz originally, and when i was home last (last month) i was lucky to find one server to play on, thats pretty sad considering that games 4+ years old get more activity. It saddens even more to say that the scene here in europe isn't much healthier either tbh:(

Bottom line.....you had a chance to take the best of two previous titles and make them even better...you didn't, instead you made it into...well tbh i don't know what to call it, and no matter what you say, the numbers will always speak for themslelves!

Conclusion: Damn you for making me play games that have/had half the potential of TV, simply because you had a "vision" of what 10 year old kids would buy.........they didn't, they won't, and now we dont play it either......

Last edited:
Reverend Zero said:
I don't think a gaming forum full of Tribal zealots is going to drive off the DEV team. If we do, well maybe we should replace them with Derek Smart clones.

:lol:

Naw, it's not just the forum noise that could cause problems with their continued support (it could be a factor since the marketing model seems to be counting on community support). If sales are really hurting (I don't think the actual sales are being reflected by the player numbers, tho) it's a straight financal desission to either continue to spend resources on something that is floundering, or to move onto something else.

The good news is that Irrational does have a track record of producing high quality sleeper hits. T:V still has a shot at becoming part of that catagory. If both they and the community can drop in the required TLC it could have a nice long run and continual sales rather than the spike and tank model that most other games follow (doom3 for instance).

It comes down to how much love they gots for the product... and who is willing to support it.

Hope T:V does pull up from this nosedive. It's a good game, and I would hate to abandon it for something like CS:S just because of low player counts.

Meh... I can't see walking away from it because of the low player counts. I've had no trouble finding active games so far. Even at ungodly hours when my insomnia is kickin the crap outta me.

Infact, it's sort fun having a fairly small community. I keep running into the same players in pubs and we've even gotten into the habbit of playing off each other.

Heehee, Smooth P is prolly perty ticked right now on the Assualt Ship whorage myself and two other guys just inflicted. ;)

I don't have any problem finding games. Earlier this morning I pubbed for a few hours on like 3 different servers that were very close to being full. It's just that if there is a larger player base, more servers and more players playing, then I would think that would incline the developers to pay more attention to this game. That could bring us patches, a new non-beta dedicated server and people who are savvy in the ways of making maps and mods for this particular engine.

Reverend Zero said:
It's just that if there is a larger player base, more servers and more players playing, then I would think that would incline the developers to pay more attention to this game. That could bring us patches, a new non-beta dedicated server and people who are savvy in the ways of making maps and mods for this particular engine.

Exaclty my point above.

Ok... this is getting freaky. We're sitting here agreeing with each other. Didn't we used to call each other nasty names every chance we got?

Hmmm... you're a poopy pants!

Ahhh, I feel much better now!
:p

Maybe it is just me, but can anyone else follow my logic...

There are two games already in a series.
They both have very involved communities, albeit split.
You decide to make a third game in the series.
Surely then, the best thing to do is try to appease both communities first, then see how you can make it easier for the newbies.
By getting one or both communities onside, you get a large amount of positive publicity.
Then by making minimal changes here and there, you make it easier for noobs... and then you throw in a comprehensive single player game that teaches the noobs...
Your game does well.

Where have I gone wrong? why didn't IG/VUG follow this logic?

Ok, I sort of understand: There are far more new players available than old players. So yes, you'd want to attract the new ones.... But if you don't please the old players, why are the new players going to like the game?

Anyway, that's my gripe for today.

Zustiur.

BitRaiser said:
Exaclty my point above.

Ok... this is getting freaky. We're sitting here agreeing with each other. Didn't we used to call each other nasty names every chance we got?

Hmmm... you're a poopy pants!

Ahhh, I feel much better now!
:p
Never really had much of a problem with you, or anyone else in TT...Well except for a select few who make it their mission to be as negative as possible about T:V.

I'm just a guy who loves Tribes. :shrug:

BitRaiser said:
They bought it after seeing what I've been doing with the toolset and hearing about how moddable the game is.

Honestly the toolset is basically a slightly modded version of what came with UT2003. If a person wanted the toolset and EXPOSURE they would probably be better off buying UT2004 with the updated editors. You have hundreds of times the players to try out something new. It's sad but T:V's editor is behind the times.

LouCypher said:
I'd prefer a new Tribes game on the updated Torque engine. I think some of the things I don't like about T:V draw from the choice of engine, which I feel was wrong for the franchise from the start.

Really, the latest Torque engine would be perfect for making the next Tribes game. It lends itself to high online counts and large maps unlike the UT engine.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Really, the latest Torque engine would be perfect for making the next Tribes game. It lends itself to high online counts and large maps unlike the UT engine.

I would rather use the torque engine, but if someone makes another tribes game, I'd rather they use an upgraded torque engine or a whole new engine made for Tribes. At least with TV and UT the color pallete is richer. I just dont care much for the player models in TV (didnt really like the T2 or T1 player models either). But at lest Torque had the smooth physics and the ability to support large environments.

Unreal engine is snazzy and well liked because it is well supported. For a developer that makes the build time faster, but like anything "canned" limitations can be obvious depending on what you are doing. I think Tribes is one of those cases where the Unreal engine is turning out to be a bad match.

I think Unreal engine is great for deathmatch type games, or battle games to be set in a limited arene or blocked environement, but for a large scale battle ctf game like Tribes, I'm not finding it being such a fabulous solution.

I know Irrational tweaked the engine a lot, but after playing the last two months, its obvious that their is this inherent "Unreal physics" feel to the game. The way you spar with players, the way players respond to hits, the way sniping works, feels, reacts, the aerial sparring etc. It has that Unreal feel. Like this skipped, jerky feel in the movement.

Irrational has worked wonders with the engine. Their TV version is a lot better than the feel and movement of the actual Unreal games, so I'm hopeful some patches will resolve a lot of the current problems. I can give it a couple months. It took T2 awhile to become a good game.

Still, its fricking annoying that we have a 3rd tribes game, and the base game requires months of patches and mods to improve it. I have to give high praise to valve. They know how to improve on a game, and yet keep it true to its roots, but of course valve created HF. Irrational just stepped in to do a job on a game that a majority of them never played. Its obvious we are not going to get the same type of response and support. I do think the folks at VU and Irrational are kind of in this state of confusion right now. They knew the game would upset folks, but I dont think they realized it would cause such a huge negative response and right now they basically look at it as a project completed, patch the bugs and move on. Its all business from there.

Now dont you all miss dynamix...

Last edited:
well, I've griped enough in these threads...i am jsut hoping one good-> excellent mod comes out that we all just *ENJOY* playing. So much possiblity for improvements but if no one is interessted in trying some ideas in mutators (at least) to see how it would play out...we'll not know. Face it. VUG/IGA ain't likely to do bean squat about things we are harping on. They'll fix bugs but I can't see more than that. It's their vision, their game, this is the Tribes Thrax & Co. guided 'em to build and VUG ain't likely to pump any $ into this thing....:-(..so much potential...

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Honestly the toolset is basically a slightly modded version of what came with UT2003. If a person wanted the toolset and EXPOSURE they would probably be better off buying UT2004 with the updated editors. You have hundreds of times the players to try out something new. It's sad but T:V's editor is behind the times.

This might be true (yeah, it IS true) but none of us likes the UT style of play. T:V might not have as much complexity as T2, but it's still got more to work with than UT. The core of T:V is fine, IMHO, it's just missing a few things (command screen, carving) and doesn't push other things far enough (mapping, deployables, vehicles).

I don't think T:V is going to vanish any time soon. That is IF certain members of the comunity and/or Irrational manage to do some good support.

?B-MAN said:
I would rather use the torque engine, but if someone makes another tribes game, I'd rather they use an upgraded torque engine or a whole new engine made for Tribes. At least with TV and UT the color pallete is richer. I just dont care much for the player models in TV (didnt really like the T2 or T1 player models either). But at lest Torque had the smooth physics and the ability to support large environments.
I'm with ya as far as Torque being a perty damn cool engine. The problem is that when T:V development started, Torque was stuck in a quigmire that it's only now emergining from. It was looking really dated and didn't support a lot of elements that are basicly demanded from gamers these days (bump mapping, pixel shading, etc).

With their new engine some really amasing things could be done, but not for awhile.

Its obvious we are not going to get the same type of response and support. I do think the folks at VU and Irrational are kind of in this state of confusion right now. They knew the game would upset folks, but I dont think they realized it would cause such a huge negative response and right now they basically look at it as a project completed, patch the bugs and move on. Its all business from there.
That's definatly a glass half empty look at things. We haven't been told that the coming patch will be the only patch. We don't even know what's going to be in it. People have managed to convince themselves that there will be no gameplay tweaks or additional content, but I haven't seen any evidence to support this.

If I'm wrong, let me know where this evidance is!

Now dont you all miss dynamix...
I started missing Dynamix the day after it was announced their doors were closed. A victem of the mass marketing of PC gaming I fear... really they were one of the last companies to put "art" before the bottom line. Psygnosis, LookingGlass/Bluesky, Greymatter, Barking Dog... all of them are are just a faint memory. Irrational is one of the last that seems to be interested in experimental games at all.

The really twisted thing is, it's prolly gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.

Back