Is Irrational Listening to/Implementing *the big gripes*?

BS!

They add huge amounts of depth simply by allowing people to work together! Beacon placement and TL use are skills that can be perfected over time and keep things interesting. That's depth!

Even more important is the communications thing. Something as simple as being able to set waypoints to each other so buddies can have a hope of finding each other! That directly impacts the "Fun factor".

The big issue with T:V *as it is* is that there is very little to keep folks interested. Sure it's fun fer awhile... if your the kind of play that lives for fast paced action above all else, it may continue to be fun longer. Right now tho, there are huge numbers of people that are already just outright bored.

Hell, even my Girl Friend (I got her into gaming via T1) poked her head up and asked "Where the hell are the waypoints?? This F***'n sucks!"

Yogi said:
Targeting lasers are rarely (OK, never) used in pubs. Beacons won't go in the game to help prevent the cheating that surrounds their functionality in the previous titles. They don't add depth, they're fluff.

And don't confuse depth with un-needed complexity.

i would LOVE a targeting laser just for help pointing at stuff, eff it as mortar painter, it was never really needed.

if it could do magic shazbot, like fireworks, that'd be cool as shazbot too, stuff to blind people, or shoot colors into the air, or just do effects, i think that would be fun as shazbot! (or at the very least pub-friendly)

i used to use anti-rocket grenades, (or whatever they were from t2) in the base just because they were pretty to fire.

Theta said:
Didn't realize targeting lasers, beacons, and sensors were keeping T:V from going mainstream.

Best farking quote Evah!!!

2 of the 3 things which allowed for hacks are listed above.

K thx

The grappler is your new "toy", and I'm sure it took a lot of time to get it semi-right. If you ask me, it beats the crap out of a laser you can point at stuff with. But you seem to have an endless supply of sledgehammers and dead horses, so carry on.

I'd also dispute that TLs were never used in pub play. That might be some player's expirance, but personally, I've used and seen used TLs, beacons, and yes... even the command screen. To great effect I might add!

Even here on TW (the biggest "if you don't like it, fark off" forum in existance) people are becoming dissatisfied with the lack of other interesting things to do with T:V. That speaks volumes!

Soooo... rather than denying that there's some problems to look at, how about thinking about the issues and being rational about 'em?

Side note, I'm into modding fer T:V and have a perty good team lined up. I'm just worried about the player base!

BitRaiser said:
BS!

They add huge amounts of depth simply by allowing people to work together! Beacon placement and TL use are skills that can be perfected over time and keep things interesting. That's depth!

If you spend time perfecting your beacon placing and targeting, I don't want you on my team. I want someone who is doing something useful.

Sometimes I find it amazing how narrow minded people can be...

Yogi said:
If you spend time perfecting your beacon placing and targeting, I don't want you on my team. I want someone who is doing something useful.

In both T1 and T2 I had a habbit of charging in, slapping down some beacons UNDER turrets, sensors, whatever, THEN making a cap run. Hopefully some team-mates out there have some brains and would start chucking in smoking green death and I'd be able to skate out home free!

OR

sneak around behind their base, paint a target, call for some bombardment, cut the laser once I see the mortars in the air and make the rush while the enemy is in dissarray, making sure that my escape route takes me over the position from where the mortars came from so those heavies could wipe me arse free of chasers.

Not useful, eh?
I guess not... not if you can't think of a good way to use 'em!

KillerONE said:
Yes, you are.

Beta is for BALANCE and BUGS.

A Beta is FEATURE COMPLETE.

Targeting lasers, beacons, command map stuff and deployable sensors would be adding FEATURES.

The only thing that he mentioned that MIGHT get consideration is the generator repair time, that could be argued a BALANCE problem.

:lurking:

Beacons, I can live without. I do miss the TL. I rarely used it to paint targets. I used it when I was on TeamSpeak with noob friends a lot... it was helpful to be able to point out where to put deployables, direct them to gens/invos, point out mines/sensors/turrets, point out ski routes, etc....

It was VERY useful for helping noobs get started. I don't think that a laser (that didn't have any beacon/targeting capabilities) would've been much of a cheating liability.

No point in whining about it now. The game's fine without it.

In T1/T2 we never had a ON-SCREEN radar showing incoming enemies (without scripts).

Noobs can look at the radar (which is consistent with other games, BF for example) to locate/be aware of enemies.

IrritAnt said:
That's a massive generalisation unsupported by any facts.

Generalization, yeah. Facts? Well... out of the 10 people I know that tripped all over themselves rushing to get involved in the beta, only 1 is still keen on it.

Everyone else is bored and looking for something else to do. Myself, I've been doing aplot of play testing trying to find the limits of the engine and find as much possible interest as possible. Last night, I think I hit my breaking point... half way through a map it hit me. I'm not having fun... I'm bored!

I'd also point out that there has been a steady DROP in player numbers. For what ever reason this might be, it's not a good thing.

I'm not trying to whine... I'm done with "ARGH!! This isn't what *I* wanted!!". I'm trying hard to look at the bigger picture.

BitRaiser said:
BS!

Even more important is the communications thing. Something as simple as being able to set waypoints to each other so buddies can have a hope of finding each other! That directly impacts the "Fun factor".

The big issue with T:V *as it is* is that there is very little to keep folks interested. Sure it's fun fer awhile... if your the kind of play that lives for fast paced action above all else, it may continue to be fun longer. Right now tho, there are huge numbers of people that are already just outright bored.

Hell, even my Girl Friend (I got her into gaming via T1) poked her head up and asked "Where the hell are the waypoints?? This F***'n sucks!"

I used the TL to point new players to "things of concern" to enhance that players teamworking skills. I never thought it enhanced gameplay to any extent.

Oops said better by Virtus already. :bigthumb:

Last edited:
on a serious note, irritant, i hope you guys are remembering we're complaining and whining and screaming and clawing because we love the series.

(and you, you hunka burnin love)

Oh, and out of my entire team, only one person seems to not be interested in playing T:V. The rest of us are having a blast with it.

Back