Is Irrational Listening to/Implementing *the big gripes*?

BitRaiser

Veteran X
Over and over, I'm seeing the same gripes across just about every forum involving T:V. It would be nice to know if anything is being done about them! I'll try to do a list of 'em here, but don't expect me to get it "right", ok?

* Targeting lasers and beacons really gotta go in. These were really FUN aspects of the other games and I can see no good reason for them not being included.

* Command Screen functionality. Sure, lots of folks never figured out how to use it before, but if there's no functionality, why not just call it a "map" and be done with it? :p Seriously... we wanna be able to set waypoints! Both to each other and to targets!!

* Non-omnipotent sensors! Ah... can we get a range on these things? As it is they act like a satalight uplink and make any sort of sneaking impossible.

*Actual time required to repair Gens! 20 seconds to bring them back on-line? Eew.

These are prolly the most commented on features that are holding alot of folks back from enjoying T:V as it is. It would be really nice to know if there's been any thought put into them?

As things sit, I'm getting the feeling that T:V lacks the depth that will be required to be a big one in the industry. This is really quite tragic since it's SO CLOSE to being great!

Er... I'm going to stop before I start ranting. Feel free to add anything to the list that is being called for en-mass (not your personal girpes!).

i was actually wondering how far the command screen would go myself, i liked the aspect of the pda from t1, it was lightyears ahead of d3's mediocre implementation of one.

I agree with the mods thing... the only problem is that if base is SO empty alot of folks are not going to be picking it up. It doesn't matter how great the mods are if they refuse to lay out the bucks, now does it? Hu? :p

KillerONE said:
Those are big gripes?

Ok.

Mutators and Mods, nuff said.

Yes, every little concern with the game should just be reconsidered and implemented as a mod. Guess that's the only real use of the beta, since we get bitched at for reporting bugs...

Am I missing the point of this beta?

They sorta already have beacons. Except they are called "marker points". They are used extensively in SP but I doubt they will be allowed to be used in MP.

People are complaining about the smallest things, and blowing them out of proportion. On one forum I've seen a person saying that the game will die because it lacks the targeting laser and jump button

Those changes are rather superficial, and I don't see why any of them would prevent the game from being 'big'. There are certainly much more serious gripes that I've seen over and over, such as more lateral vs. vertical movement.

And I think the targeting laser gripe is just lame, these guys barely had the time and resources to make the game 'right' as evidenced by Thrax leaving Sierra the minute his job there was done. It's silly to ask for shazbot like that; you should be happy the people who gave a shazbot were able to hang long enough to make a well-balanced, fun game.

ruready said:
Yes, every little concern with the game should just be reconsidered and implemented as a mod. Guess that's the only real use of the beta, since we get bitched at for reporting bugs...

Am I missing the point of this beta?

Yes, you are.

Beta is for BALANCE and BUGS.

A Beta is FEATURE COMPLETE.

Targeting lasers, beacons, command map stuff and deployable sensors would be adding FEATURES.

The only thing that he mentioned that MIGHT get consideration is the generator repair time, that could be argued a BALANCE problem.

FugaZni said:
Those changes are rather superficial, and I don't see why any of them would prevent the game from being 'big'. There are certainly much more serious gripes that I've seen over and over, such as more lateral vs. vertical movement.

And I think the targeting laser gripe is just lame, these guys barely had the time and resources to make the game 'right' as evidenced by Thrax leaving Sierra the minute his job there was done. It's silly to ask for shazbot like that; you should be happy the people who gave a shazbot were able to hang long enough to make a well-balanced, fun game.

Yes, we should all be thankful they weren't able to accomplish much more than a total conversion mod in the 3+ years since development started.

ruready said:
Yes, we should all be thankful they weren't able to accomplish much more than a total conversion mod in the 3+ years since development started.

:lol: now you're just being stupid

edit: I didn't say stupid, I said G-A-Y, like happy

hurry.gif

It's not about whining... it's about having some longivity to the game. Sure, mods will take care of alot of stuff, but there are A LOT of people out there that simply will not pay for mods. TLs, beacons, and communications each add depth and replayability to the game and aren't *huge* factors to deal with.

As for how this would impact the main stream... well, look at BF:V! It's already advanced beyond what Tribes was and T:V has actually regressed in terms of depth! These things DO attract people!!

Targeting lasers are rarely (OK, never) used in pubs. Beacons won't go in the game to help prevent the cheating that surrounds their functionality in the previous titles. They don't add depth, they're fluff.

And don't confuse depth with un-needed complexity.

Back