[request]Minedisc on T:V

Falhawk said:
yeah meet validuz, he's a pain in the ass. I'm pretty psyched that he doesn't like the game.

I didn't know he was in the beta though...
I've noticed that a lot of peeps I don't like all that much don't seem to like the game so far. It gives me warm feelings.

back to topic .. you MD supporters realize that in T1, MDing was a "bug/exploit", much like rocket jumping in quake was a "bug/exploit". It was not designed in,it was not to "balance" the game play, it was an after effect players with experience used to their advantage. This is why it was designed out of T2 and grenades were added in. To try and get the player the same sort of weapon, throw able, but without the cheapness of a one shot kill that MDing brings.

This is the reason for my comment Validuz. It is not the reason for the lack of gameplay in T2. It was later added back in on the classic MOD, and is now used as a one shot kill weapon. Scripts were written to do it in one button press .. skill? no. And nowhere in T:Vs gameplay does it belong. Hence .. being designed out of the game play.

Buk Naked said:
I liked the mine disc in T1.

Only way I see it as needed in T:V is if the offense seems overpowered and they put in the md to help balance it.

Buk Naked approved ;)

L4MpoTr0N said:
In tribes 1 & 2 minedisk was well balanced in the gameplay....it never ruined the gameplay, but improved it.

L4MpoTr0N said:
A game is different for some particular aspects, wich makes that game in fact different; Tribes has been a revolution because it introduced the jetpack and the minedisk, who contributed to make tribes a legendary game; if u leave some of the most particular aspects u change that game.
In T1 was used a lot, and in T2 was introduced by classic mod because lot of ppl asked for it.

Imo some T1 and T2 aspects should be used also in T:V, to make that a perfect game.
Btw this is only my opinion.

MD

FishStix said:
mine disking has/is/will always be fun and satisfying, as well as balanced
First of all it's not balanced. The skill level required to do a mine disk on, let's say an incoming capper, is nowhere near deserving of the amount of damage it does.
Also, it may be fun to kill someone with a md, but it's not very fun trying to cap when the only time you can get out with the flag is if the ld messes up their timing on the md. About 9/10 times any ld with some practice can just hover above the flag and md an incoming capper. It's not fun coming in to cap hoping this will be that 1 time out of 10 that they miss.

And I know there are counters against a md, but they're nowhere near the difficulty level of an md...Let's see...
You could try to ma the ld who's hovering over the flag, which is kind of hard considering you have to shoot at least one disc at the flag first to clear the hof/mine.
You could try clearing the flag with a grenade launcher, but if the ld is hovering high enough above the flag, they won't get damaged.
There's probably other counters to this situation I'm forgetting, but I'm pretty sure none of them are near the difficulty level of a md.

Basically, the only time you will be able to get the flag out safely is when that ld screws up something. It's not fun knowing the only time you can cap is when the enemy messes up, or that 1 in 20 times where you get a nice ma on the ld who's hovering there. You should be able to cap because of you own skill, not by hoping the enemy will do something wrong. And if you say that I need a teammate clearing the flag for me, that's forcing teamwork, instead of just encouraging teamwork without requiring it.

While I really dislike mine disks being used against incoming cappers because it's not balanced, I do like the mine disk for midfield action. Something like a ma md takes skill and deserves to kill a light in one hit.

Anyways, I don't see any way to balance the md, so I agree with IG's decision to remove it from the game.

Edit: If it happens to be that offense/capping is too easy in T:V, I would be for adding md to the game, but ONLY IF it can be balanced better than it was in T1/T2 classic. I'd still like to see chasing a big part of CTF, but if there's no way to slow down a capper or catch up to a capper chasing won't exist, which isn't fun.

Last edited:
Got Haggis? said:
well i, for one, am glad to see that Validuz will not be coming to T:V competition.
Hmmm, well, it seems Detective Dipshit Haggis has stumbled his way into this thread, and decided to reply without actually reading. Please tell me where I said I "wouldn't play competition" (or TV for that matter).

I feel sorry for morons like you... because at least with me, some people agree and some people don't. You on the other hand, are just constantly ridiculed and mocked over at TWL for being a moron, and I can see why now.

Amadeu5 said:
I know you're going to hate me for this comment, but this is a new game -> everyone (even the T1/2 vets) is unfamiliar with the new physics -> everyone is a newbie at it. I'm sure we'll be starting to see differences in a few months.
You're right, I am going to hate your comments, because they are pure bullshit and a bunch of e-knight crap.

TV's physics aren't "hard", they're "newbified". Since you didn't pick up the first post of mine, I'll try to explain it to you like you're a four year old.

Take this statement for example: "TV's physics is totally newbified."
Now, that doesn't mean "I'm having problems moving around and skiing, BECAUSE ITSS RREAALL REALALLYY HARDD!!1." What that means, is it was super easy to pick up, and I don't see much of a difference between a newbie, and a smart/skilled player (as far as movement goes; dueling, skiing, etc). Skiing itself (even though I don't like them myself, because chasing looks worthless in it's current state) doesn't seem as bad... but everything else surrounding it, does/is.

That's the exact same principle as in T2 and in T1 if you had a ski script. The act of skiing is easy, finding good routes and improvising isn't.
Uhm, how about you actually go play T1/T2 and get a fucking clue. You can't just "hold down jump" and ski in EITHER game. You have to be moving a certain speed/angle to "ski".

I think it's the smaller maps that could be confusing in this situation.
No, it's not just the smaller maps... it's everything. I'd say mainly how the terrain/buidlings are designed. The only map that feels a little "right" is the Emerald one... and that's only because it has huge hills. It still feels screwed up going down valleys/jetting around buildings/dueling people.

Animations can be refined in the 2 months they have until release. From the vids I don't see any problem with them though. :shrug:
Have you ever fucking played the game yet? Why are you talking?

It IS a new game in the Tribes series. It has jetpacks, spinfusors, skiing, everything that made T1/2 Tribes. If it had the exact same features and physics, it wouldn't live longer than a few months, because people would play the same game they played for years, only with better graphics.
EEEEEEERRRRRRRHHHH, Wrong. Throwing in a jetpack and skiing ability doesn't make the game "Tribes series game". And no one here is asking for a game with the "EXACT same physics, just with better graphics". We just don't want some newbified piece of shit that was nerfed SO MUCH to please the temporary BattleField/UT2k4 players, that no one wants to hang around like they did in T1/T2. Just like (the VERY successful I might add) Quake series... you're SUPPOSED to stick to the theme of the game, and throw in a couple new things, with brand new graphics. You didn't see total revamps in Quake3, did you? I didn't think so.

americanjoe said:
This is the reason for my comment Validuz. It is not the reason for the lack of gameplay in T2. It was later added back in on the classic MOD, and is now used as a one shot kill weapon. Scripts were written to do it in one button press .. skill? no. And nowhere in T:Vs gameplay does it belong. Hence .. being designed out of the game play.
The reason it was added in Classic, was purely because of the speed. You can't just give offense (capper/HO) 300/400kph routes, and expect a stand-still LD be able to beat their asses and then chase the capper that's already moving 300-400kph.

You can't have both. Plain and simple. You can't have extreme speed with no strong defense (MD). Right now, I see the nades being used as a substitute for the MD, but I don't think it's effective enough. And no, bodyblocking isn't "enough" either, because it's too easy to just knock an LD out of the way with an explosion.

The reason MDs were fine (in Classic that is[I didnt play T1 comp, no idea how it was then]), is because you could still distract the LD, but at least if the capper didn't have the coordination of clearing the LDs (aka, an LO fucking with the LD so he couldnt MD the flag), then the capper would get by.

And I see a lot of people saying "well, a newbie can get an easy kill on you!". Well, I'd hate to break it to you guys, but a skilled player can get a LOT (and I mean, a lot) more kills/damage on a newbie, then a newbie can every one in awhile on you/a capper. And besides... where's your offense clearing/coordinating with you, to kill/distract this "newbie"?

Hell fellas, that's like saying... "well, a newbie can get an EASY one-shot kill with a mortar, just by chucking it on the flag when an LD is nearby". Think people, think.

P.S. I'd just like the add for the record, that I'd be FOR MDs, but I could care a less either way, if they decide to keep them out. But don't expect to have balanced offense and defense, if you give the offense super fast routes versus stand-still defense.

Falhawk said:
yeah meet validuz, he's a pain in the ass. I'm pretty psyched that he doesn't like the game.

I didn't know he was in the beta though...
Ohh, I'll still be there to watch overrated newbies play and get owned, Fal.. don't worry.

Validuz said:
The reason it was added in Classic, was purely because of the speed. You can't just give offense (capper/HO) 300/400kph routes, and expect a stand-still LD be able to beat their asses and then chase the capper that's already moving 300-400kph.

You can't have both. Plain and simple. You can't have extreme speed with no strong defense (MD). Right now, I see the nades being used as a substitute for the MD, but I don't think it's effective enough. And no, bodyblocking isn't "enough" either, because it's too easy to just knock an LD out of the way with an explosion.

The reason MDs were fine (in Classic that is[I didnt play T1 comp, no idea how it was then]), is because you could still distract the LD, but at least if the capper didn't have the coordination of clearing the LDs (aka, an LO fucking with the LD so he couldnt MD the flag), then the capper would get by.

And I see a lot of people saying "well, a newbie can get an easy kill on you!". Well, I'd hate to break it to you guys, but a skilled player can get a LOT (and I mean, a lot) more kills/damage on a newbie, then a newbie can every one in awhile on you/a capper. And besides... where's your offense clearing/coordinating with you, to kill/distract this "newbie"?

Hell fellas, that's like saying... "well, a newbie can get an EASY one-shot kill with a mortar, just by chucking it on the flag when an LD is nearby". Think people, think.

P.S. I'd just like the add for the record, that I'd be FOR MDs, but I could care a less either way, if they decide to keep them out. But don't expect to have balanced offense and defense, if you give the offense super fast routes versus stand-still defense.

I Agree

Validuz, I agree that the initial learning curve has been greatly reduced. People who pick up the game for the first time will have a much easier time adapting to the style of play than they did with T1 or T2. But why is that a bad thing? These new players don't know how to maximize efficiency, or look for routes, etc. The only reason you could possibly be upset is it lessens your feeling of elitism.

ExitJudas said:
mine disc ruined the gameplay. it effectively negated any need for positioning. all you needed to be effective was to respawn, get mines and stand near the flag, then suicide when a capper who had spent 2 minutes setting up flew in.

mine disc is cheap and ruins gameplay.

Thats why they added Minediscs into the most successfull version of tribes 2 eh.....just because we all agreed that it ruined the game....newbs crack me up.

Refering to the classic mod...the only thing that kept t2 alive as long as it did...if you fucks wanna go play unreal by all means do..the md has been a part of tribes for a long time plenty of ways for cappers to beat it ala clear the mines yourseld or have someone spam flag for you imagine that...

anyway..cry somewhere else and get some skill

Fool said:
Validuz, I agree that the initial learning curve has been greatly reduced. People who pick up the game for the first time will have a much easier time adapting to the style of play than they did with T1 or T2. But why is that a bad thing? These new players don't know how to maximize efficiency, or look for routes, etc. The only reason you could possibly be upset is it lessens your feeling of elitism.

Some of us like the learning curve.

It amazes me that people forget what balance is so long as they have fun.

The minedisc started out as a balancing tool against the speed of heavy offense. The speeds to which heavies could reach were not offset by weaker damage or less health. It was imbalanced. The discovery of the minedisc countered this, and thus balance was achieved. In all other cases the mine disc is overpowered, ie NOT BALANCED.

It didn't take long for people to become proficient enough to use minediscs on cappers on their best routes. This is not balanced. The capper should not have to "find a way around" a one-hit kill weapon. If you believe that, you're ignorantly biased towards your own fun.

Minediscs had their place of balance in the game, but they weren't balanced within the entire scope of the game. The only argument for including minediscs in T:V would be if you could not kill heavies fast enough to counter the speed/destructive power of an offensive heavy. As any beta testers will tell you, Heavy's aren't extremely difficult to bring down in T:V. Therefore there's no reason to have a minedisc in the game.

[LEET]demon said:
Some of us like the learning curve.

There still is a learning curve. There's plenty to discover, plenty new things to try. The fact that so many people are like "no minedisc wtf!" shows that most people aren't willing to even look.

As I said, a newbie won't know about routes at all or how to look for them. A veteren will.

I'm shocked that you people don't want new people to play. I guess you want to just keep going with the maybe 1000 people who still play tribes or tribes 2 at least once a month.

Back