T:V "The other white meat"

That video was awesome, thanks a lot.

I actually really like how the mortars whistle just before they light you up.

Game looks really, really great to me. I'm excited.

Neek said:
My questions:
-How is the bugtracking being handled?

-Have you had any problems with the speed of the disk?

-how effective is the sheild pack now that there is no energy management in favor of the 5 sec. 75% protection?

- While watching that and other videos, I got the impression that diskjumping does not seem to care what direction you shoot the disk in order to move forward. It seemed like people are shooting in front of them and being pushed forward instead of backward. Is that a bug?

-the jump pad does not seem to launch you very far, if at all. Is this another bug, or does it take some skill to use effectively?

-is it possible to deploy the rover underwater?

-the speed seems even a little too high, is chasing still a viable tactic in that build of beta?

1. The bugtracking is being handled in a professional manner.
  2. The disc speed imo is perfect in the current build we are playing.
  3. You would think it would be unbalancing but in fact it is working out fine. The active shield is only for a very short time period, only about enough to get a free DJ in.
  4. I haven't seen this or experienced it, I always turn around to DJ so perhaps that's why I never noticed?
  5. The jump pad is tricky, you can't just walk up to one and expect to get anywhere. If you can hit one while on a route you get a nice boost, it is weaker then a DJ.
  6. Rover blows up if it stays under water too long.
  7. Well the maps are small so it seems like the speed is crazy, but it is on a par with T2 Classic, in fact I have yet to travel as fast as I could in Classic reliably, but this is probably due to me just llamaing it and not using any routes. Personally I do not chase, the distance to flags is very short in most maps, so it is best to keep some guys on the enemy side for retrieval. But that's just how I would play it based on current map balance.

ZOD said:
  1. The bugtracking is being handled in a professional manner.
  2. You would think it would be unbalancing but in fact it is working out fine. The active shield is only for a very short time period, only about enough to get a free DJ in.
  3. I haven't seen this or experienced it, I always turn around to DJ so perhaps that's why I never noticed?
Just some clarification please...

By the bugtracking thing i mean: what system are they using to submit bugs for the open beta? What sort of feedback are you getting from the devs? Are they receptive to input from beta testers? (more so than T2, I hope...)
Most of all, are they being honest about what needs to be fixed?
That was a MAJOR problem with T2. The devs simply denied that the problems were there...

So the shield is not so hot for base raping and HoF in it's current state, or what?

The disk jump thing may have something to do with the framerate in the captured video... I'm not sure if they turn around and DJ really quickly and it just gets missed in the video, or if they are actually shooting in front or at a front/slightly down angle. It looks like the latter. I saw it happen in some other vids as well.
Try it out and see if i'm totally off base here...

Last edited:
In T1, I always DJ by simply aiming down at my legs. Given that my speed and ping is high enough, the trigger lag makes the disc explode right behind me.

HOLY CRAP

they really need to redo all the sounds for the rover, especially that stopping sound haha *SqueaL*, it should be a swoosh cause he was in dirt and grass. The sound of the tanks engine, is also terrable, it sounds like a lawnmower, but its weapon effects are decent and the pod fighter sounds pretty cool.

also the tank looked like it fired pretty fast! crazy
edit: and increase the pods firing rate!
...and the physics of the ground vehicles are just blahh!!! im not a fan of unreal tournament '04 but the tank should be more like that tank+the manta physics. rover needs a little work too

Last edited:
dunce_boy said:
those jump pads seem so week and pointless...they need to make them more powerful.
I think the idea right now is to have them more effective mid-route rather than giving you a huge boost right from your base.
From what ZOD said, I gather that you need some speed and downward velocity to use them effectively. Just walking over them does not cut it.

Neek said:
Just some clarification please...

By the bugtracking thing i mean: what system are they using to submit bugs for the open beta? What sort of feedback are you getting from the devs? Are they receptive to input from beta testers? (more so than T2, I hope...)
Most of all, are they being honest about what needs to be fixed?
That was a MAJOR problem with T2. The devs simply denied that the problems were there...

So the shield is not so hot for base raping and HoF in it's current state, or what?

The disk jump thing may have something to do with the framerate in the captured video... I'm not sure if they turn around and DJ really quickly and it just gets missed in the video, or if they are actually shooting in front or at a front/slightly down angle. It looks like the latter. I saw it happen in some other vids as well.
Try it out and see if i'm totally off base here...

1. No bug report has gone un-noticed. These guys are on the ball.
  2. It is plenty effective to rape with, it's not the 100% shield of T2, more like the shield of T1 except without the energy drain. I like it and use it a lot and it is not unbalanced.
  3. Yeah it could have been framerate, my vid is the full 30 fps and I did dip into the teens at times but on average it was 30fps with lag.

Amadeu5 said:
In T1, I always DJ by simply aiming down at my legs. Given that my speed and ping is high enough, the trigger lag makes the disc explode right behind me.
hmmm maybe that's it then.
T2 forced you to turn to make a forward DJ, since you cant aim down past your legs. I haven't played T1 in a while (or T2, for that matter...but it's fresher in my memory.)
That's probably why ZOD turns to make the DJ - Habit from T2.

ZOD said:
  1. No bug report has gone un-noticed. These guys are on the ball.
  2. It is plenty effective to rape with, it's not the 100% shield of T2, more like the shield of T1 except without the energy drain. I like it and use it a lot and it is not unbalanced.
  3. Yeah it could have been framerate, my vid is the full 30 fps and I did dip into the teens at times but on average it was 30fps with lag.
1- :D Great news!
2- Also good news! :)
3- ah. I think it was just missing the bit where you turned to fire then. Good DJing is a pretty quick movement.

Thanks for the Answers ZOD. I hope to be playing catch-the-blue-frisbee with you soon!

Who fucking turns around to dj thats considered newbie by most of my good tribes friends. If we are playing on a newbie server and see someone turn around we always tell them to just shoot below them it works better.

Sopo said:
Which blue frisbee? The sharp one or the kamikaze one?
Either one will do...just so long as I'm not on the receiving end... :D

Can't wait to play beta and squarsh some bugs of my own. :grimreape

windexy said:
Who fucking turns around to dj thats considered newbie by most of my good tribes friends. If we are playing on a newbie server and see someone turn around we always tell them to just shoot below them it works better.

Uhm...nah...i won't...

windexy said:
...in T1 or T2?
T2 DJ you could only aim forward slightly in front of your legs, because you could not aim past your legs, so you had to turn usually to make a DJ unless you are going really fast.

That's the way i remember it anyway... It's been a while.
ZOD says he turns to DJ. I'd hardly call him a newbie.

windexy said:

Uh. I do. It's called a level of damage control. When you're chasing, you don't always want to blow all your health on one DJ. Especially on CCD if you've taken damage, you can either complete one full disk jump and lose the capper entirely, or DJ 1 + 3/4ths and chain him down.

Neek said:
...in T1 or T2?
T2 DJ you could only aim forward slightly in front of your legs, because you could not aim past your legs, so you had to turn usually to make a DJ unless you are going really fast.

That's the way i remember it anyway... It's been a while.
ZOD says he turns to DJ. I'd hardly call him a newbie.

in T2 (classic) it depends on how fast you are going. If you are going slow, or practically standing still, shooting right below you isnt always the most effective...it might sometimes slow you down even. If you are already going pretty quick, shooting a little in front of you can give you a huge boost of speed.

Back