how will open beta be available...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah IMO bittorrent is the answer to the download/server crisis. It takes very, very little bandwidth to host a bittorrent file. All FP would have to do is set up a tracker and a single seed and it would be fine. Exactly like what blizzard did. Saves so much money. But then they wouldnt get people to pay for a subscription to something that they dont need other then a one time thing for this beta.

Kinda sucks that they are deciding to limit the exposure of their game... but whatever.. :shrug:

KillerONE said:
Eventually, people will understand that stuff on the Internet doesn't default to FREE.

People will realize that like every service you provide, it costs somebody money. That money in the REAL world is recouped, cause people pay for said service. The Internet has a horrible reputation that everything is free.

Bleh.. Ignorance is bliss.

/end rant

:shrug:

http://www.3dgamers.com/news/more/1071580531/

If the sites were losing that much money somehow I think they'd be in favour of exclusives which is a sure fire way to get subscribers as apposed to emphatically against it.

There are other ways to generate income than being the only site to charge people something that they can get for free elsewhere, when you're getting millions of hits a month you don't need to charge subscriber fees, to me it's not the money it's the principle of the thing. Like the wannabe game hosting companies that charged for public server use it's pretty much doomed.

I don't really see what sierra gets out of this other than licking some fileplanet ass, they'd get far better exposure by giving it out to all the fan sites and if they hold true to their word and don't host it after it goes public then they'll severely limit the exposure that it'll get.

in an effort to end this once and for all, the following gaming websites (together representing nearly 22 million unique visitors per month) have agreed not to host any exclusive demos anymore, even after they eventually become public:

Last edited:
Menzo said:
FilePlanet will get a one-week head start, so you should get used to that now. Gentlemen, start your complaining!
I really do have a problem with this. If you can provide a reason for it(GS is giving you BJ's, etc; any reason is fine) I'll shut up, but I'd like to know why you aren't doing this open. Is it because you need to distribute keys? If so, why can't you do it yourself, or even talk to HomeLAN? It's obviously a big project, and HomeLAN might not take it, but HomeLAN is the biggest group of supporters of this game, and they at least make an effort to help the community. Giving it exclusively to GameSpy so that they can sell their subscription service is like a stab in the back here.

The collition against exclusive demos might also do you more harm than good here.

Last edited:
HF|RH ViRGE said:
The collition against exclusive demos might also do you more harm than good here.

This isn't a demo. This is a beta. Consider it an extension of the closed beta. This coalition isn't boycotting us for giving away the beta to the folks at Tribal-Wars, are they? Same deal.

Menzo said:
This isn't a demo. This is a beta. Consider it an extension of the closed beta. This coalition isn't boycotting us for giving away the beta to the folks at Tribal-Wars, are they? Same deal.

You'll be releasing a multi demo nearer release date then if thats the case and it's "only beta".

I don't get why there appears to be so much confusion over this. Everyone will still be getting the open beta at the time they would have previously, anyway. File Planet subscribers will just be getting in on the closed beta a week before they release the open beta to the rest of the public. Its not that difficult to wrap your head around.

I don't hear an incredible uproar over the TW:E beta deal.

KillerONE said:
Eventually, people will understand that stuff on the Internet doesn't default to FREE.

People will realize that like every service you provide, it costs somebody money. That money in the REAL world is recouped, cause people pay for said service. The Internet has a horrible reputation that everything is free.

Bleh.. Ignorance is bliss.

Indeed, everything on the internet is not free, but when you effectively start charging for something that is free, people understandably take offence. I'm not willing to pay for a beta that is/should be/will be free - I'll be buying the same stuff over again when I buy T:V...

On a positive note, Irrational must be very confident in the strength of the closed-beta package right now if they are willing to let the masses on to it. It would be foolish in the extreme (in my view) to be putting up noticeably buggy code on to a pay-per-access download site - not the best marketing move if that were true.

Menzo said:
I'm not the one you should argue that with, they are. The fact of the matter is that the collition is effectively against anything exclusive for IGN/GameSpy/GameSpot, so the beta may very well get blacklisted. I'm just saying it's something that VUGames/Irrational might want to keep in mind.

Xagothae.1 said:
FP isn't charging you for the files... they're charging you for the bandwidth...

If it's just about covering bandwidth costs why don't they let other sites host the file or seed torrents? I still don't understand how exclusive deals like this that limit the exposure of a demo benefit the developer. Does Fileplanet really pay that much to make it worth their while? Does it guarantee a nice review?

Never mind, we’ll all get to play it eventually I suppose I just never intend to pay to beta.

GREAT!

We have to PAY to BETA test the game now!

Does anyone still remember what BETA TESTING is? Haha I doubt it.

Why do you think this is happening? Because Vivendi loves Fileplanet?

It´s all about...

Code:
    $$        $$         $$         $$         $$     
   $$$$$$    $$$$$$     $$$$$$     $$$$$$     $$$$$$  
 $$$$$$$$  $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$  
$$$ $$    $$$ $$     $$$ $$     $$$ $$     $$$ $$     
 $$$$$$$   $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$   
   $$$$$$    $$$$$$     $$$$$$     $$$$$$     $$$$$$  
    $$ $$$    $$ $$$     $$ $$$     $$ $$$     $$ $$$ 
 $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$   $$$$$$$$ 
$$$$$$$    $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$    $$$$$$$   
    $$        $$         $$         $$         $$

KillerONE said:
Eventually, people will understand that stuff on the Internet doesn't default to FREE.[blablabla].. Ignorance is bliss.
tell me to pay 7 $ or € to Irrational Games to play the beta and i will do it if they tell me that releasing the files/hosting servers/whatever has a cost for them. tell me to pay vivendi and i will think about it. but fileplanet will never have my money cuz imho they do nothing.

To be clear, i am not whining because i have no rights currently. But it's a big deception (that will not lead to a boycott though, i am a nerd).

A final positive note : i am happy that IG seems to be confident enuff to release a beta in such a way, at least it's the way i interpretate it.

Scorpion said:
GREAT!

We have to PAY to BETA test the game now!

Damn people sure do like to take "one week" and read "forever"... Lets see if I can break the language barrier...

FilePlanet gets to start distributing the beta E-A-R-L-Y, by ONE week.

T-H-E-N everyone else and thier dog will be hosting it, for free download.

IF you want to pay for a months sub to FilePlanet for entry into the beta a week early, you C-A-N. If you D-O-N'-T, you can wait a week and get it for F-R-E-E.

(Obviously I subscribe to the "if they don't understand you, you need to talk LOUDER and S-L-O-W-E-R" school of thought.)

VaporTrail said:
Damn people sure do like to take "one week" and read "forever"... Lets see if I can break the language barrier...

FilePlanet gets to start distributing the beta E-A-R-L-Y, by ONE week.

It's still a completely retarded decision that only seems to be of benefit to fileplanet which kind of begs the question who menzo is marketing for.

I really do fail to see how this is in the best interests of promoting T:V :shrug:

Apart from that it's a huge slap in the face to the existing community, lets face it, the people that download from fp aren't going to be reporting bugs and beta testing so it's another week wasted of valuable testing time.

FilePlanet is "BIG". It reaches a lot of people. "We have the T:V BETA, and YOU can get it" is not only advertizing for T:V, but marketing for FP.

And YES, making a commercial game IS about the money. Always.

Getting your :mecry: on because you have to pay FilePlanet a month's subscription to get the beta early is fugging stupid. Either accept the fact that it's going to happen and pony up. OR, accept the fact it's going to happen and wait a week. Those are the options, and whining about it is going to change absolutely nothing.

Move ALONG, please.

Sh33p said:
Apart from that it's a huge slap in the face to the existing community,

One question. What would you say if it were TribalWar who was hosting the beta a week early, but you had to donate at least $7 to get it?

No bittorrent, no extra mirrors. Just donate $7 to TW and you get the extra week of T:V beta.

VaporTrail said:
FilePlanet is "BIG". It reaches a lot of people. "We have the T:V BETA, and YOU can get it" is not only advertizing for T:V, but marketing for FP.

And YES, making a commercial game IS about the money. Always.

No really?

FP would host it and advertise it regardless as they do with all the other demos/beta's, it doesn't have to be exclusive for them to do that and the only one that benefits from doing so is fileplanet.

What about all the other gaming sites? That coalition alone is 22 million unique visitors/month and if they boycott it because it's an exclusive then that's a huge audience that won't be reached, is it really worth that risk just to make fileplanet some extra cash?

Menzo's distinction between demo/beta isn't valid imho, just like with ut2k4 the open beta effectively is the demo, I can't see there being anything else if the open beta is to continue up until release. Apart from that a beta is by nature a testing period not a marketing club to beat sites over the head with :shrug:

VaporTrail said:
One question. What would you say if it were TribalWar who was hosting the beta a week early, but you had to donate at least $7 to get it?

No bittorrent, no extra mirrors. Just donate $7 to TW and you get the extra week of T:V beta.

I would willingly, the money isn't the concern, I won't on principle give anything to the robbing bastards at FP, they don't deserve a penny of anyone's money imho.

Last edited:
VaporTrail said:

I'd do it in a heartbeat :) I may subscribe to FP just to get the beta....It's all marketing and exposure, I see no problem with this.......What I see most people (ok a few not most) is calling it a demo and bitching that they have to pay for a demo, It is NOT a demo it is a beta, and you don't have to pay for it you can wait 7 days and dl it free...duh!

ok Menzo give me beta early for sticking up for you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back