News: Vivendi Layoffs; Vengeance work goes on

Ah, yes, you can tell spring is in the air when the birds are singing, flowers are blooming and SiEnron is laying off large numbers of employees.

I swear, it's the same thing every year. How does Sierra ever keep employees with the eternal threat of layoffs hanging over them?

Last edited:
HF|RH ViRGE said:
Menzo, Thrax: someone mind responding to this(post 22)? They're claiming Thrax is a dead man.
I'm still working on Vengeance.

And D-Back, isn't it about time you got past this? 1. Sierra didn't lay off anybody. VU did. 2. You only lost your job once, and that was years ago. Apparently nothing else bad has happened to you since then, for which you should be happy, not bitter. Let it go man. ;)

Last edited:
Btw, is the parent company of Sierra still called Vivendi Universal, or did it change to NBC Universal in the NBC merger? Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, I've just been meaning to ask since Conan began doing the walker skits.

Thrax, has your role in T:V changed? I noticed that they said any employees that remain will have significantly different job roles.

also, might wanna change Menzo and Thrax to VUG instead of Sierra ;)

Colosus said:
VUG does not own Irrational. Not in America, not in Australia. Irrational is its own company that has been CONTRACTED to work on Tribes: Vengeance and SWAT. What COULD HAVE happened is that SWAT was cancelled and Irrational laid off some of the excess workers, but I have no idea if that is truth.

The point is, VUG can not hire or fire people from Irrational. IGA has to make their own decisions when it comes to hiring.
No, Irrational is unaffected by this VU move.

SWAT is continuing development and approaching beta.

AFAIK, the only change that concerns either project is that VU will now have more resources allocated to getting them out the door successfully.

Accountant: What are those servers over there?

Techie: That one's the Tribes master server, this one is the T2 auth server, and that one is the T2 browser server. That dusty one under the desk is the Tribes IRC server.

Accountant: I see. And how much revenue are these generating?

Techie: Um...

Accountant: Liquidate them.

Amadeu5 said:
Let's hope we won't need any more patches than that... :p

im sure there will be many more patches than that. I mean if you look over the course of a couple years how many any game gets. Usually there is a couple to balance things out, but then new content gets added, cheat detection stuff comes into play, etc.

Take Blizzard for example. They spend alot longer on games then anyone else, yet they still run about 10 patches or so for their games.

alingis said:
No, Irrational is unaffected by this VU move.

SWAT is continuing development and approaching beta.

AFAIK, the only change that concerns either project is that VU will now have more resources allocated to getting them out the door successfully.
Yeah, I corrected myself a bit later. ;-)

booty said:
Vivendi bought sierra games for 1 billion dollars. Their assets included... Synergistic, Impressions, Dynamix, Papyrus, Headgate, Blizzard and that place in redwood city that I am forgetting the name of.

They have in 5 short years managed to run every single one of them out of business besides blizzard because blizzard was mercifully left alone.

Isn't papyrus still producing Nascar stuff for EA console titles?

Where are Ken and Roberta when you need them?

enDless_Delirium said:
Yeah, but at least Blizzard actually releases their games every now and then. And when they do they're really fun to play.

I don't know that Blizzard has been doing all that well lately. Their last game Warcraft III wasn't as much fun as their previous titles and there has been a long gap between that and either World of Warcraft or Ghost. Ghost is only going to be a console game and WoW will be 'Pay for Play'. They don't seem to spending any of their money to keep up with the Battle.net demand.

I am betting that Blizzard will see a marked downturn in its popularity. Especially if its former employees release Guild Wars this year without requiring on-line subscriptions.

When did Vivendi buy them? Maybe it is a death sentence.

PJ said:
Btw, is the parent company of Sierra still called Vivendi Universal, or did it change to NBC Universal in the NBC merger? Sorry if this was already covered in the thread, I've just been meaning to ask since Conan began doing the walker skits.
VU Games and Universal Music were not part of the NBC Universal Media merger. Basically NBC purchased Universal's TV & Film groups (and maybe the interest in the theme parks, not sure about that).

Got Haggis? said:
Thrax, has your role in T:V changed? I noticed that they said any employees that remain will have significantly different job roles.

also, might wanna change Menzo and Thrax to VUG instead of Sierra ;)
Technically, nobody has worked for Sierra for over a year. When you call me here in Bellevue I answer "VUG Northwest". :shrug:. Right now my role is not fully defined other than step 1, which is finish Tribes. After we've shipped Tribes I'll worry about Step 2.

Back