On Style Points..

Ann that'd be a very bad idea. Giving a team an advantage because of what they did in the last map would only continue a cycle of one team owning over another. If your team was good enough to beat the other team, why do you need an extra advantage for the next map? It wouldn't make sense at all.

Annihilator-X- said:
The new system sounds great.
But the individual offense and defense points should count towards the team score...

Absolutely not. The only thing that should count for the team score is caps, and that's it.

Wulfen said:
Absolutely not. The only thing that should count for the team score is caps, and that's it.

True. I mean the gamtype is CtF (at least at CtF :p ) not freestyle.

The points for individual actions schould only be considered when it comes to see who played well and who sucked in a map.

Yikes. I can't read. I didn't even see that he mentioned that. Making individual score count towards your team score in CTF would be one of the worst things you could possibily do. Can you say 10 man turtle? (In a 10v10 game). I know I can.

Wulfen said:

Individual point scores often have very little to do with who played well and who sucked in a map. Individual points should only be considered by the people who think they mean anything.

Individual points at best give a general idea. If someone were to have zero points after an entire map, it'd be likely that they did suck. But anything that's even a sorta reasonable amount falls into the who knows catagory.

Like, if you had two LD playing the flag for example. One could be nailing lots of disc shots on the flag, and many BB's. The other could be helping (not as much though), and getting alot of kills on mostly dead players. While the first LD had more of an impact, the second LD could potentially blow the first LD out of the water score wise. Etc etc.

Norrin said:
Individual point scores often have very little to do with who played well and who sucked in a map. Individual points should only be considered by the people who think they mean anything.

Annihilator-X- said:
But the individual offense and defense points should count towards the team score...

I neither love or hate points. They are just numbers for me. Except once...

There was a memorable game I played. Both the storm and inferno team had the same score of 603 points. My storm team had capped the enermy flag and so did the inferno team. In the last 5 minute, I came up with the strategy of telling my teamate flag carrier to drop his flag out in the open area. I messaged him and he did that. Then not long an enermy player went for the flag and returned it.

At that very moment I told the offense guys (I was at base) to capture their flag at all costs. A miracle happened that at the last min the offense guy capped their flag before the enermy flag carrier( who is heavily defended very deep in their base) could come out and score. My team had then 604 points over 603 point and won.

There's not a single moment a point worth so much.
Although it is only shown on score board for like 5 seconds, it was good enough.

I would think if the team scores would have something to do in the next map would be cool. Or a teams score within a game would give some advantage like faster vehicle respawn, etc. Or even like CS you have to use team points to buy equipments stuff. Erh I don't think this will be featured but not bad idea is it?

not sure what game you were playing, but in my tribes that game ended in a tie.

The same sort of people who exploit the system in T1/T2 will also do thier best to exploit it in T:V. I don't think there is really anything that points can do to make people really care if there team wins or looses a game in a pub.

I hope what ever they are doing with stats will do something to help this. We need a way to have pub games that are as good as PU's.

Well, of course people are always going to exploit a point system. The goal is to make that "exploitation" fall in line with normal gameplay overall. Since if you're giving people points for smart gameplay decisions, they'll go with those instead. Likewise, if you were add in a blaster fireworks bonus, (shooting your blaster into the air for no real reason), I'd guess you'd have people in many pubs making quite a lot of fireworks. Bottom line is, if the points go towards things good for the game as a whole, people playing for points won't hurt *that* much.

Individual points never mattered to me in the Tribes, but it will be interesting to see how this system will work out. Just one more thing to check out in beta.

ZProtoss said:
Like, if you had two LD playing the flag for example. One could be nailing lots of disc shots on the flag, and many BB's. The other could be helping (not as much though), and getting alot of kills on mostly dead players. While the first LD had more of an impact, the second LD could potentially blow the first LD out of the water score wise. Etc etc.

As I just proved in a scrim :X

Annihilator-X- said:

A hockey game is not won because one player has 3 assists when the score is tied.

A basketball game is not won because a player has 10 rebounds when the score is tied.

Individual points should absolutely not count towards the team score. They should be for stat purposes, and maybe as a reward for the individual.. that is all.

ZProtoss said:
Come to think about it Pyro, this probably explains part of the confusion in this thread. My understanding if then new point system is that players have 3 different point totals, Offense/Defense/Style. So if you had a total of 10 points it could run down like

Pyro: 5 - 4 - 1

Instead of

Pyro : 10.

It'd explain why you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about if you thought it was the latter :p

KineticPoet said:
Here's the deal with individual points. There are 3 categories: Offense, Defense and Style. Your total individual score at any given moment is the total of these 3 categories.

Hm. Guess I missed that part. I was under the impression before that it was 3 different stats shown. Especially with the SS that showed the 3 diff catagories to the right middle.

I think it is, it shows them seperate on your screen, but the score you would see by hitting tab or f2 will show them all added together. KP also says admins will be able to set awards for certain things, so I don't know how that will work out.

On that note though, I think splitting them up and showing them split up is good if all 3 stats are working towards meaningful goals. Because it solves *some* of the position overstacking. Since you don't have HO and farmers competing over points that are shown to everyone as the same. hum.

CxD said:
this is all to confusing...it should be 5 points for capping and one point for killing someone.

:signed:

I would also add something for repairing assets, but thats it.

This covers pretty much everyone, HO/MO (lots of kills), HD/MD (a few kills plus some rep work), HoF (more than a few kills in a good game), Cappers (uh, caps?) and TM's (turret kills plus rep work) and LD (kills). The only ppl it doesnt really reward are distractors/disruptors, but lets face it it's almost impossible to do that. :(

My 2c.

Back