Closed Beta for Vet 4's in '04

Status
Not open for further replies.
SarcaStick said:
i just hope people who are signing up for beta know what they're getting into.
Idiots are going to expect a 'gold' game, i know it.

*sigh*

I would imagine a lot of people are expecting to be able to play the full game right off the bat. Others will remember Tribes 2 and enter into a beta with hesitation.

Frankly, with all the betas I have seen, T:V cannot be that bad. Some I have participated in have actually been worse than the T2 debacle. One RTS I tested was pushed back a whole year and a half because the developers realized just how bad the entire thing was and rewrote whole sections from scratch. It was nice to see the transformation over multiple years :roller:

i actually think this idea has alot of ground. makes sense, could be great for the game. we know they gotta love tribes. we know they gotta be dedicated. :signed:

too bad im not a vet^4 :( :cry:

i wish i signed up for TW when i started playing in '98

I think this is a good idea - vet4s are more likely than most to give me good info on the game while they test it, unless theres an NDA involved. It's also likely to be good for keeping the feel of tribes right, as I know most vet4s aren't like the whiney idiots who give TW a bad name. However, I think the open beta should be drawn from a wide group in order to try to give the game a bigger audience when the full version comes out. It should include Tribes vets, Quake/UT vets, BF vets and complete newbies.

PS: Irrational would have taken this a lot more seriously if the thread was started by someone who isn't a vet4.

I've been playing Tribes since it came out in 98. But how long I have had an account on this place is fucking pointless.

I was already an elder(their forum vet) on tribesplayers.com and tribes2.com when this fucking place started. I just never bothered to sign up until later.

A closed beta is most probably for fixing major bugs, not addressing gameplay issues. So VU will probably try to get as many different hardware combinations as possible for the closed beta, to fix major bugs before the open beta starts.
Therefore i'm against the vet4 petition.

secrax said:
Yeah, good idea! Let's repeat history by recruiting only people from TW Forums.
I seem to recall KP only accepting input and allowing testing of the TR2 beta by T1 players. We all know what a piece of shit that turned out to be.

Odd, considering I was in the TR2 beta, and I never played much T1. There were lots of T1 players, no doubt, but there was also a decent amount of T2 players as well.

ZProtoss said:
there was also a decent amount of T2 players as well.
You're the first T2 player I've heard that said they tested TR2 before it "officially" came out. That being said... Why the fuck didn't you say something? Who in their right mind thinks waiting in line to play on a server is a GOOD IDEA?

It's a decent idea, but do we ALL want T1 with better graphics. My answer would be yes. But to keep it alive, I have to say, no!!!!

Because TR2 wasn't meant for high amounts of people in the game. It was either have a waiting list to join up, or cap the server to a very low number.

LouCypher said:
You're the first T2 player I've heard that said they tested TR2 before it "officially" came out. That being said... Why the fuck didn't you say something? Who in their right mind thinks waiting in line to play on a server is a GOOD IDEA?

ZProtoss said:
It was either have a waiting list to join up, or cap the server to a very low number.
Capping the server to a lower limit would encourage others to host their own servers. Instead we had 16 "player" limit servers with maybe 8 people "playing" and the rest waiting.

It was an extra option provided to server owners. If they wanted to, they could have easily capped it. I doubt many more servers would have popped up overnight with every server being capped. Even if it did, you'd have a hard time keeping games full on those servers, since people would still focus more on getting in specific servers like 5150 E1, rather than hop between 5-8 different servers.

LouCypher said:
Capping the server to a lower limit would encourage others to host their own servers. Instead we had 16 "player" limit servers with maybe 8 people "playing" and the rest waiting.

Guys, here's a quote direct from the Vivendi site;

"Beta testers will be chosen based on system specifications and previous testing experience."

I know how keen everybody is to get in, but to limit the Beta to just vets doesn't make a lot of sense. We need to test this on a wide variety of equipment, but also on a wide variety of people. Remember from day one we've said we want to broaden the Tribes audience and community, and to that end we need feedback from people who aren't Tribes players.

Veteran Tribes player feedback is no more or less important than anyone else's. Now read that sentence again;

Veteran Tribes player feedback is no more or less important than anyone else's.

Down here at IGA, we don't have any real idea or clout as to who will get chosen to Close Beta test, but we're willing to lay money that it won't be based on an artificial hierarchy.

I figured they were going to do it based on system specs, but I don't remember there being any questions about other games tested in the form.

IrritAnt said:
I know how keen everybody is to get in, but to limit the Beta to just vets doesn't make a lot of sense. We need to test this on a wide variety of equipment, but also on a wide variety of people. Remember from day one we've said we want to broaden the Tribes audience and community, and to that end we need feedback from people who aren't Tribes players.

Again, we never have taken an exclusionary stance. We want to see people from all walks of life enter into the Tribes lifestyle. However, what we do offer is a stable, coherent background, full of diversity, ready to suffer and slog through the ordeal of an early beta to help make the beta go as easily as possible. Nowhere has it been said that the movement is to make ONLY Vet^4's beta testers; far from it. What Vet64's for Early Beta seeks to do is give Vivendi/Sierra and Irrational a coherent base of testers with which to build from. You may send out a number of early beta slots only to find people who may play 30 minutes a week; why not get the dedicated lot started early?

G|ga said:
A closed beta is most probably for fixing major bugs, not addressing gameplay issues. So VU will probably try to get as many different hardware combinations as possible for the closed beta, to fix major bugs before the open beta starts.
Therefore i'm against the vet4 petition.

Hardware combinations have about as much to do with veteran status as the price of tea in China.

Evele said:
It's a decent idea, but do we ALL want T1 with better graphics. My answer would be yes. But to keep it alive, I have to say, no!!!!

No one said the movement was to recreate Tribes 1. It is about the grand history that is the Tribes franchise.

LouCypher said:

I was in the TR2 beta as well, and played T2 more than T1. I liked the game, though. And still do occasionally.

edit: shit, 7 days from vet4 :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back