Tricked out Tribes? Expanding movement in T:V

Its more like people who appriciate better graphics. I dont care as long as theres lots of people. I hope for the love of god they edit that network code though

Da_Timsta said:
Holding on to protectiles would have to be balanced loads, esepecially since you could potentially launch people to the enemy base with little practice.
yeah i went over this in the GD thread

"some people bring up the idea that players will stand by another player that is shooting missles to catch them as soon as they take off causing a catastrophic unbalancing to the game. This is something i should of addressed earlier. When the missle launches it will simply have too much power behind it to be able to get a grip on it. So if you thought an army of lights riding in on missles was going to happen, i gave ya the wrong idea."

x66 said:
Catching projectiles, that should be inflicting damage is a bit far-fetched, isn't it?
are you familiar with killer instinct 2? KI2 had parry moves that if you blocked a hit while hitting a certain button you would not only block the shot but your opponent could not attack you for a split second. The window of opportunity to parry is extremely miniscule. This is what i was getting at for projectile grabbing and air blocking. Make it so hard to do that only the elite will be able to do it with moderate success. To my knowledge this has never been done in any fps game to date.

VaporTrail said:
This is actually going somewhere useful. The only thing that needs to be added for some of these is animations and sound effects.

I like the flag slingshot... Perhaps it should cost a bit of velocity (.05% per degree of rotation, maybe) to pull off, but the option to come off the stand at a 90 degree angle, or 180 to initial movement is great... hold it to long (185+) and you wind up screwing up and come off the stand at 10% your initial velocity, without the flag, in other words a sitting duck.

Actually , depending on the length of distance from the center point in wich the person spins their centrificul force would increase their overall velocity. Not a perminent increase, but a temporary boost straight off the flag.

p.s If this has already been said, sorry I didnt read every page.

Riavan said:
Lol, do you guys want a punch up mode?
i'd definitely like to see some sort of melee attacks. would be fucking cool as shit to clothesline people as you flew past them.

smacking people with the flag could be fun too :>

t:v is more primative than the other two, it should be brutal.

Miracle said:
1) I'm of the distinct impression that we won't really understand the "cool" changes in T:V--which has been said to take the best of T1 movement into totally new applications--until Q2 or so of next year, at which point Sierra won't be afraid of it being copied by other products. (Just like many other platinum-selling products these days like BF1942 seemed to copy T1).

2) At least four of those suggestions can currently be achieved through a disk jump or mine/discing. KISS.

*sigh*

OH yes lets just keep Mine/Discing and Disk Jumping for the next four tribes games since it works. Dont try anything new..*shudder*

*insert eye roll here*

Stage01 said:
*sigh*

OH yes lets just keep Mine/Discing and Disk Jumping for the next four tribes games since it works. Dont try anything new..*shudder*

*insert eye roll here*

They are tried and true and balanced with the style of play.

You'll definitely see disc jumping still, and mine discing is always a possibility.

No reason to mess with perfection, nor over complicate matters.

Yogi said:
They are tried and true and balanced with the style of play.

You'll definitely see disc jumping still, and mine discing is always a possibility.

No reason to mess with perfection, nor over complicate matters.

mine disk != perfection

Stage01 said:
Actually , depending on the length of distance from the center point in wich the person spins their centrificul force would increase their overall velocity. Not a perminent increase, but a temporary boost straight off the flag.

Sorry, but no.

First, basic thermodynamics states that energy cannot come from nothing. The system involving the flag, and the player grabbing, would have NO energy input. You can try this by attempting to slingshot off a light pole while rollerblading. On a level surface, the slingshot will only alter the direction of your velocity vector, and reduce it in magnitude by a small amount. (Attempting this with anything you might be able to pick up out of the ground would likely result in you busting your ass, but this is a game, so...) The centrifugal force is a RESULT of the energy brought into the system by the player. It does not add to the momentum. The ONLY instance in which a "slingshot" manuver works in this manner is with stellar objects and spacecraft. Even then, the energy added to the system by gravity is taken away on the outbound leg. Any velocity increase is attributable to the drive of the spacecraft.

Second, as a game, this manuver must be balanced, and having the player GAIN momentum from it, which will result in leaving the stand FASTER than he came in, is not balanced. The advantage of leaving the stand with a vector that is significantly different from the the arrival vector should be balanced out by a loss of momentum.

Beren said:
mine disk != perfection

It has its faults I'll admit.

But the disc jump is 100% balanced and proven. Extra speed and quick accelleration via sacrificing life. Evene steven.

Depends... if the acelleration increase outweighs the life decrease then it's unbalanced for cappers. A capper's life is speed, therefore an increase in speed is worth almost any price in life.

For chasers, the same is true, however the increase in speed must be dramatic for chasers, as they usually are at rest when they begin chasing. If they cannot catch the capper, they cannot kill him.

Kwago said:
i'd definitely like to see some sort of melee attacks. would be fucking cool as shit to clothesline people as you flew past them.

smacking people with the flag could be fun too :>

t:v is more primative than the other two, it should be brutal.

hehe, jabbing the flag end through peoples heads

VaporTrail said:
Sorry, but no.

First, basic thermodynamics states that energy cannot come from nothing. The system involving the flag, and the player grabbing, would have NO energy input. You can try this by attempting to slingshot off a light pole while rollerblading. On a level surface, the slingshot will only alter the direction of your velocity vector, and reduce it in magnitude by a small amount. (Attempting this with anything you might be able to pick up out of the ground would likely result in you busting your ass, but this is a game, so...) The centrifugal force is a RESULT of the energy brought into the system by the player. It does not add to the momentum. The ONLY instance in which a "slingshot" manuver works in this manner is with stellar objects and spacecraft. Even then, the energy added to the system by gravity is taken away on the outbound leg. Any velocity increase is attributable to the drive of the spacecraft.

Second, as a game, this manuver must be balanced, and having the player GAIN momentum from it, which will result in leaving the stand FASTER than he came in, is not balanced. The advantage of leaving the stand with a vector that is significantly different from the the arrival vector should be balanced out by a loss of momentum.

Re the physics:

Rotational energy? You pivot about a point at a certain speed. If you contract the distance from the pivot point, you will pick up speed. I forget the equations exactly though.

am i the only one who thinks all these tricks have gone way too far. I can just see the whole server forgetting the point of the game just to do stunts.

All this catching projectiles.. pfff.. sorry but that just sounds stupid for an FPS, also VERY frustrating. Wheres the fun in getting a MA only to have it caught. Or chasing a capper just to see them grab onto a missile! lol.. give us a break!

Back