Tricked out Tribes? Expanding movement in T:V

1) I'm of the distinct impression that we won't really understand the "cool" changes in T:V--which has been said to take the best of T1 movement into totally new applications--until Q2 or so of next year, at which point Sierra won't be afraid of it being copied by other products. (Just like many other platinum-selling products these days like BF1942 seemed to copy T1).

2) At least four of those suggestions can currently be achieved through a disk jump or mine/discing. KISS.

with all the new movement hitting an enemy would be harder... maybe for small environments like tr3... but for ctf it might make it very hard to hit them if you cant lead

Ski putty. Throw it into a harsh corner and it smooths it out. If thrown too late, the putty won't be set and will slow you down on contact. If thrown too early, it will evaporate before you get to it.

(edited cuz I just noticed I had "early" and "late" mixed up)

Last edited:
cAn said:
that point single-handedly invalidates your arguments.
Unreal Tournament, CS, BF1942, and half the other games with TWL ladders would not have been what they were without serious inspiration from Tribes 1. This can not be denied.

Sierra/Dynamix broke new multiplayer ground with Starsiege and Starsiege Tribes but so far everyone else and their mother has run off with the loot of those innovations.

In a sense, Tribes:Vengeance is the return of the king--Odysseus coming to evict the imposters partying in the house he built.

Shoddy said:
Ski putty. Throw it into a harsh corner and it smooths it out. If thrown too early, the putty won't be set and will slow you down on contact. If thrown too late, it will evaporate before you get to it.

Now that sounds like fun. A truly original idea.

movement definitely needs a facelift and i've seen a plethora of awesome ideas in this thread. Skiing can be deep, but this is not adding any depth to a new tribes game.

The jetpack could be a lot cooler than it is. I loved the dive bomb idea someone brought up. That would definitely add some depth for vets to have some fun with. Different jetpack configurations should be something you can cycle through the touch of a button or mapped independently. There would be modes like this.

- Lift: the traditional jetpack action
- Dive: thrusters point upwards
- Forward: Thrusters push you forward to you can slide on flat terrain or for a boost when skiing.
- Reverse: could be awesome for skiing backwards but still able to get clear shots on your enemies, but would be a lot more useful for dodging.
- Overdrive: equivalent to a disc jump type of lift, but takes about 80% of your energy.
- Hover: allows you to float a couple of meters off the ground and uses very little energy. drawback is that you cannot move around in the air as fast as you normally would be able to.

Another gem brought up was the air defense idea. This idea would add so much depth to the game. Would not only give the vets with quick reaction times something new to master, but would add something that is a realistic reaction to that kind of situation. This could totally be mastered by teammates to become the new generation of disk jumping.

Another idea someone brought up with this was the ability to grab onto projectiles. This would so rock and is totally possible to do. grabbing onto a missle to ride it back home to make a cap just screams style. However this could be a little too easy, to combat this i propose a Grip Meter of sorts. Once you grab onto a projectile this little meter comes up showing how good of a grip you have.

tvgrip.gif

too loose and you fall off, too tight and the projectile blows.
The speed the little black bar moves depends on the angle of the projectile-
-high angle = loose grip
-low angle = better grip
When you are gripped, your jets serve the purpose of controlling the grip meter.
To add more depth to this, the shooter of the projectiles could toggle a feature that causes the projectile to explode whenever the it is grabbed. Only problem with this mode is that it makes the projectile very sensitive to taking fire.

Wall jumping is something that so needs to be in this game. This would add so much depth to indoor levels. They did it in ut2k3, therefore totally possible to recreate. The flag slingshot is also a wonderful idea that would add some awesome style to the game. However, you should be able to grip on to any sort of pole and just hurl yourself around. That would be so awesome and a totally acceptable substitute to the grappling hook in my eyes.

Beacon stopping was brought up too. In another thread i brought up the idea for spikes to shoot out from under the player's feet to dig into the ground. It's a lot less hokey than a beacon stopping a player dead in their tracks. Perhaps for more realism, the spikes would be less effective in different environments such as snow or rocky terrain.

Last edited:
Yeah well CTF will prob die in T:V
And an interview I read said they will have less emp on the vehicles.
By god they better have a gravtank or Ill go insane :roller:

Oh Btw, Mapping will be 10X harder. Everything is CS. Downloadable monthly map packs will have to be in order or something. Map sizes from 5meg - 40. So yeah.. I might need to get off my dialup

Last edited:
Some additional ideas...

Uphill Backflip: When you reach the crest while skiing uphill, instead of soaring up as usual, do a backwards flip over the canyon you just came out of (change of direction that leaves you in the air)

Uphill Half-turn: When you reach the crest, you do a short jump (maybe grab the lip!) and ski right back down the slope you just came up. (change of direction that leaves you skiing on the ground)

Mid-air stop: A simple brake that completely arrests all movement while in the air and leaves you hovering for a few seconds. You become vulnerable by being stopped, but can suprise chasers by blasting them away at close range. At the end of the maneuver, you continue flying but with less energy and momentum.

Why not just add one more key to Tribes, the "option" key.

This key when used on the ground would do a "hard stop", and while jetting against a verticle surface would do a wall jump. That would be pretty cool.

Fraggy Poo said:
Why not just add one more key to Tribes, the "option" key.

This key when used on the ground would do a "hard stop", and while jetting against a verticle surface would do a wall jump. That would be pretty cool.
very good idea

if i didnt post something over there, almost no one would of replied. people in GD are very lazy about switching forums.

I posted a thread about a down move like in Tetris, and the thread went like this -

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221835&page=1&pp=20

I understand that Thrax believes skiing should be skill and terrain dependent, but I'm of the opinion that once a person reaches a certain point, routes should become less important than how could that person is at moving.

I'm using myself as an example, but..

When I first started playing, routes were incredibly important. Hitting them made the difference between success and failure at heavy offense. As I got better, I learned how to come up with stuff on the fly while still maintaining a decent pace.

I'm not a great route player by any means. I know the basics and a few neat ones, but for the most part, I'm just going from point A to point B the best way I can figure out each time. The best way can change every time I leave my base, depending on my loadout, my goal, how much energy I have when I leave, etc. And while I know that I fuck-up my fair share, for the most part I've gotten good enough at it to be able to come up with a decently fast route on the fly. To the guys that play with my style [there's a lot of us], the "down" movement would add another level of depth.

I suppose the argument could be made that I just suck and should learn to use pure and speedy routes, but I contend that what myself and many other people do is a different but valid style that shouldn't be overlooked. On-the-fly route creation lends itself well to players who switch roles constantly and who cluster the flag. It's not as fast and it's sometimes sloppy, but it gets the job done [often times better].

Flatscan had a nice long post that summarized some of my thoughts on the subject well, so I'll let his post speak for itself.

I think a "down" movement would help newbies learn to ski and would help veterans come up with some really cool stuff.

Miracle said:
Unreal Tournament, CS, BF1942, and half the other games with TWL ladders would not have been what they were without serious inspiration from Tribes 1. This can not be denied.

the word is "cannot"
NOW, name at least one 'serious inspiration from tribes' in the afformentioned games.

Back