Tricked out Tribes? Expanding movement in T:V

Neek

Veteran X
A while ago, it was suggested by Irrational that T:V would be like "tony hawk with spinfusors" This is what got me thinking;
what if we were to expand the movement options in T:V? How would we do such a thing, and is it really a good idea in the first place?

Naturally, skiing is the granddaddy of this idea. No one really intended it to happen, but nevertheless, it has become a major part of all three Tribes games.

Skiing is a trick, a skill, and a strategy all wrapped up in one. What if we were to add various tricks of a similar nature to tribes with the goal of expanding one of the greatest strengths of tribes: movement?

Obviously, this is not a new idea. I have seen it discussed in many threads before in varying degrees of depth, and in varying degrees of coherence. The purpose of this thread is to sort of consolidate everything into one place so it can be properly discussed in depth.

So let's begin with what I consider to be important elements to consider when proposing a maneuver or trick in tribes game play.

(for those of you who are bored already, skip down to the examples for more interesting reading. I wont be offended. I just feel I have to lay the ground rules before i proceed.)

Interface
Discussing movement is impossible without first examining what movement options are available using the devices available (i.e. keyboard and mouse)
This is especially problematic in the case of Tribes because we already have a control scheme that rivals many flight simulators in sheer complexity. There is just not all that much room left on the keyboard for more stuff.
So what do we have? At this point, we can not be 100% sure other than the obvious keyboard/mouse combo and the history of the control scheme in the other tribes games.
I'm going to make an assumption here for the purpose of simplicity, which is:
1-T:V will include a 'crouch' key
and
2-T:V may include an 'action key' that is carried over from the single player game.

Both of which may be totally wrong, but for the time being, it makes it easier to illustrate my point.

Terrain/environment
It may be necessary to allow a certain trick to be only performable on certain types of terrain (for example: ice, water, snow, rocky surfaces)
The environment must always be taken into account when describing how the trick is to be done. incidentally, ramps, accelerator pads, walls etc. etc. can be considered parts of the play environment, so feel free to allow them as preconditions for the trick.

Skill level/difficulty
Because skiing is rather routine in tribes, it cannot be considered to be a "trick" really. Sure it takes skill and planning, but what is important is that it's a expansion from the base "run,jump & jet" movement in Tribes that exists on the surface. This is what I'm shooting for when i suggest adding tricks into tribes. An expansion of the movement possibilities available to the player.

Tricks/maneuvers have the potential to totally unbalance game play if they are too powerful or too easy to perform.
For this reason, I think that most tricks should be situated way up there on the upper part of the learning curve depending on how difficult they are to do, and how much they can effect game play.
It also may be desirable to have an element of risk involved in doing the trick. A botched maneuver could result in loss of health or energy, for example.

On the other hand, if the trick bestows minimal actual advantages to the player, there may be no reason to make it impossibly hard. Feel free to discuss and expand this point.

Another thing to take into account is the desired difficulty for each armor type. There are things that you may not want a heavy to be able to perform the same way as a light does, and vise versa.

Physics
Well duh. We are talking about movement after all.

Weapons
Think of disk jumping here. Since we don't really know how T:V weapons are going to work, it's really hard to come up with ideas. But feel free to try. :)

Now to the good stuff!
Examples

The Skipping Stone
Description:
The player is able to skip across the water like a flattened skipping stone. Each skip increases the difficulty of the next.

Environment:
bodies of Water

Preconditions:
1- The player must approach the surface of the water at an extremely shallow angle and at a above average speed.

2- The player must be in either medium or light class armour in order to perform this trick.

Mechanics:
In this case, the the crouch key or action key would be used at the moment when the player makes contact with the surface of the water.
The player must also be in the "skiing" state in order to perform this trick.
After the first skip, the period between the player being in the air and contacting with the water would decrease, making it difficult to carry out multiple skips. Think of how a stone skips across the water. This is what I'm shooting for.

Failure to hit the water at the correct angle or at insufficient speed would result in the player dropping below the surface or impacting the surface and receiving damage due to the high speeds involved. Timing is of the essence if the player misses the tiny window in which he must press the action/crouch key when hitting the water, then he drops below the surface.
Messing up the surface of the water with explosives would have the same effect.

The Ricochet

Description:
The player, using a series of movements, is able to rebound off of vertical surfaces by pushing away at the last second.

Environment:
Any vertical surface

Preconditions:
1-The player must not be moving toward the surface at too high a speed, or hitting it at too shallow an angle.

2-Possibly only Light or Medium class armors.

Mechanics:
This maneuver could be performed once again by using an action or crouch key in combination with the jump, jet, and movement keys to push off from the surface at just the right moment.
Again, the timing of this move is critical, and the window of opportunity in which it must be performed should very short.

Failure would result in you smacking into the surface and comically sliding spread eagled down it.

The heavy bounce

Description:
This is exactly like the Ricochet only it is performed on horizontal surfaces instead of vertical ones.
The Heavy hits the ground, and instead of just stopping dead, he springs back into the air using the energy from the impact with the ground to his advantage.

Environment
Horizontal surfaces

Preconditions
1- The heavy must be falling from the height that would normally cause falling damage.

2- The Heavy must be falling straight down at a 90 degree angle with only a small deviation allowed.

Mechanics
Same as the Ricochet, only on horizontal surfaces.
The difference being that the heavy will only pop up to 1/2 to 2/3 of the hight that he originally fell from.
The timing must be exact or the player will fail, receive falling damage, and come to a dead stop.

Death from above

Description:
Somewhat like the heavy bounce above, the difference being that you land on top of some poor sap. Falling damage would be transferred from the player into his unwitting victim, driving his head into his pelvis. Damage is scaled depending of the class of armor, the hight, and speed of the player's plummet to the ground.
This would be harder to pull off then it would initially seem. Think about it.

These are just a few examples to give you an idea of what I am driving at. Please be my guest and add your own or critique the ones i have posted here.

Last edited:
Not sure what you have in mind, but it might be too late to do much alteration to the basic movement physics.

Small changes could probably be accomplished, but anything hugely radical might be too much for the Dev team to integrate with what they already have.

Only thing I can think of in that vein would be "drop in" ramps and such, where a vertical decent is quickly and efficently translated into horizontal motion for ski starts, basically a "launch tower". Think of an 8 sided quarterpipe, if that helps. Or they could be integrated into bases.

After modding a jetpack for ut2k3, I'd have to say movement wise, anything is possible.

For an example, my jetpack code allows swan-dives. Pretty cool shit, to say the least.

x66 said:
After modding a jetpack for ut2k3, I'd have to say movement wise, anything is possible.

For an example, my jetpack code allows swan-dives. Pretty cool shit, to say the least.
release it, I want play with it too.

The "waterski" idea was broached in T2. It would have to take into account factors like weapon impacts and explosions.

While a CG bullet impacting someone waterskiing might have no effect, the impact of a disk/nade/etc. would punch them into the water.

This really would only have an effect if water is a velocity leech like it was in T2 (hence the reason waterskiing was thought up in the first place).

VaporTrail said:
Not sure what you have in mind, but it might be too late to do much alteration to the basic movement physics.

Small changes could probably be accomplished, but anything hugely radical might be too much for the Dev team to integrate with what they already have.

Only thing I can think of in that vein would be "drop in" ramps and such, where a vertical decent is quickly and efficently translated into horizontal motion for ski starts, basically a "launch tower". Think of an 8 sided quarterpipe, if that helps. Or they could be integrated into bases.

What i am preposing is not really a modification of the movement physics so much as an expansion of what is already there.

That being said, yeah. It may be impossible to for the Devs to implement this sort of thing this late in the game.

That doesn't mean that it couldn't become a mod/mutator. Instead of adding lame weapons, we could add cool movements!

Interesting stuff. At first you kind of freaked me out and I was expecting flips and barrel rolls and other freaky things so I was getting ready to criticize your ideas instantly. But atfer reading all the examples, I think you sucessfuly blended tricks with tribes to make something that could change gameplay (minimally), add throw some extra curveballs here and there to spice the game up and make it more interesting. Not that it isn't spicy and interesting already but yeah, good ideas nonetheless. The only one I'm not a fan of is the skiing and the heavy bouncing. The heavy crushing and the wall bouncing could work well though.

Flag Grab Slightshot

Concept: Using the flag as an anchor to spin around and catapult you back in the same direction you came from (while grabbing the flag at the end of your swing. Basically you use centrifugal force to transfer your momentum by grabbing the flag and spinning around it before ripping it out of the stand.

Environment: A flag IN the flagstand.

Preconditions: Player must be moving at an above-running speed, flag must be in the stand.

Mechanics: The player would use a conbination of the use key and the moment keys.

The player would attack the flag at whatever angle, and by clicking the right or left movement key could decide in which direction he was going to slingshot around the flag. The player would hold down the use key as he hits the flag to start his grab and swing, releasing the button when he had swung the desired distance around the flag. After release the player would pick up the flag and begin moving in the ending direction of his swing.

Hard stop (without beacons) - When the player is approaching the ground or the top of a horizontal surface they can press the use key and dig their armor into the ground. This would produce a shower of sparks or dirt, depending on what he is doing the hard stop on. This would take a little bit of life off, but would instantly stop all horizontal velocity.

This is actually going somewhere useful. The only thing that needs to be added for some of these is animations and sound effects.

I like the flag slingshot... Perhaps it should cost a bit of velocity (.05% per degree of rotation, maybe) to pull off, but the option to come off the stand at a 90 degree angle, or 180 to initial movement is great... hold it to long (185+) and you wind up screwing up and come off the stand at 10% your initial velocity, without the flag, in other words a sitting duck.

Fraggy Poo said:
Hard stop (without beacons) - When the player is approaching the ground or the top of a horizontal surface they can press the use key and dig their armor into the ground. This would produce a shower of sparks or dirt, depending on what he is doing the hard stop on. This would take a little bit of life off, but would instantly stop all horizontal velocity.
Not my favorite idea. It has far too many applications, and would likely majorly change the flow of the game.

My problem with it is that the skidding stop fraggy proposes seems just a tad too easy to do. Maybe if it involved move keypresses... :shrug:

Great ideas so far. Keep it up! :bigthumb:

Excellent thread. I don't know if the devs will pay any attention to it, but i'll try and add a couple. If even one of the ones we suggest gets considered I suppose its worth the effort.

Peregrine Dive
Description:
While in flight the player alters their flight profile to cause sharp negative lift. This corresponds to a dramatic increase in induced drag. Thus, the player suddenly drops suddenly, but at the cost of lateral speed.

Environment:
Airborne

Preconditions:
1- The player must be airborne and possess a certain amount of energy (above a threshold)

Physical description:
The player expends part of their jet energy to create a field in the shape of an inverted aerofoil around them. This forces them downards faster than gravity would case them to fall, in proportion to how fast they were going.

Mechanics:
For whatever reason, the player wishes to initiate a rapid change in altitude at the cost of speed. Perhaps they have overshot a ski run and are trying to compensate (or perhaps this is a deliberate part of the ski run, allows for more creativity), or perhaps they are trying to throw off a pursuer.

Perhaps a combination of the jet, crouch, and another key could be used to do this. The player would sacrifice a percentage of their forwards velocity, and an amount of jet energy in exchange for increased rate of fall (dependent on their horizontal velocity).

To balance this you can simply alter the percentage of horizontal velocity that is transferred into vertical velocity.

Only one i can articulate for now, might add more later.

Void|deadjawa said:
Pretty cool ideas. Sounds a lot like what UT2k3 does. I like how they minimally effect gameplay, but still offers new options to players.
Exactly. Alot can be done with double jumping and walljumping in UT2k3 without totally unbalancing the game.

Tribes is far more movement oriented than any other FPS by a longshot. There is so much we could expand on without upsetting the applecart, just so long as it's kept subtle and skill-based.

Back