[T:V] Talk to me about the TR2-ish gametype

Riavan said:
BTW mojo, its easy to change the water to however you like it, thats not a TR2 setting.

Sure, but that's irrelevant. If you created a CTF map with TR2-like water it just wouldn't fly, and if you created a TR2 map with CTF-like water, likewise.

One time whilst playing one of our final CTF matches on Damnation, as an LD I got the flag handed off to me during a standoff. I had a complete brain fart and actually dove into the damnation pool, unconsciously thinking I would get a big boost from it. Oopsies.

Wulfen said:
Same here. I'm not real sure about T:V yet, but I'm really hoping they get TR in there and right.

Agreed - My sense is we'll all be happy - especially if KP can continue to focus on it after release. I have rightfully been called a hopeless optimist before, however =).

We'll see.

this thread is dead but i want to weigh in anyways.

Dont doubt the quality of Team Rabbit (change the name for the love of god though).

Dont overestimate the lure of "real life" sports. The most popular video games are as detached from reality as you can get(MMO), sports gamers love the idea of tribes, but it the learning curve is more difficult. TR has been much easier to get into, and it had that "awe shit that is cool" quality that spurs players into playing more.

KP your idea in TR2 was solid, extremely solid. It has been modified to fit the small community left to TR2, but these guys are rabid about this gametype.

CTF and Team Rabbit 3; you know these gametypes as good as any vet, and you know that there is a huge community to draw on. Refine these gametypes and leave the door open for D&D'rs and Arena phags to make their mods.

The only thing that killed Team Rabbit in T1 and T2 was the timing; the community loved the games, but were burnt out from years of CTF. This gametype is the infusion that truly brings out the hero/cowboy aspect into tribes.

Just watch the archived matches on T2TV.

(this post will probably be ignored)

-Gallium

I agree with gallium, I love TR2, played on (S|B) but I quit. There is one problem with team rabbit though.

As big as a skill curve tribes had, CTF was still accessible to a newbie. They could get a random kill and have fun. TR2 in pubs however, completely isolated the newbies. If you sucked you didn't get passed the flag, now did you have many chances to catch the flag due to the fast-paced movement and gameplay. This is a very hard gametype to ease new players into, though I hope they still give it a shot.

S|B were just a bunch of necrobones pubbers.

so, what do you know.

(im kidding, as an original lamo pubbing S|B person)

edit: <insert on-topic response>

i dont think tribes as a game can inherently be totally newbie friendly, in the sense of newbies being "protected" against really good players. games like tribes and ut which involve layers and layers of sophisticated movement... will always put the true newbie at a disadvantage against a great player (whereas if you can AIM and have good gaming instincts, you can pick up many other games fast).

i DO think the single player, huds and learning curve can be tweaked to help them along (i.e. not get frustrated and uninstall)

Last edited:
TR2 can be accessible to noobs easily if made right.. Just put a lil more killing.. more positional play... newbify passing a little .. take the focus off of passing and into playing it like slamball/hockey/soccer.

In Tr3 Gallium and I will make another team, steal all the good players win the leauge and retire undefeated again. Then we can talk about how cool Tr3 was.

RedSpider(Real) said:
In Tr3 Gallium and I will make another team, steal all the good players win the leauge and retire undefeated again. Then we can talk about how cool Tr3 was.
League huh? I seem to remember I more recent league as well. FAce it, your plans for team rabbit world domination have faltered...Loser:p

Back