Is Irrational Listening to/Implementing *the big gripes*?

I think you should implament the sensor jammer pack.
passive function you're invisible to the radar and automatic turrets and active mode you're invisible to everything(even players that are infront of you) for like 6 seconds.

i think id be cool.
and i wish they bring back the satchel charge somehow.

... :lol:

Threads like this, are what scare the shazbot out of me. I honestly cannot believe someone would even think that the effing targetting laser... is what is killing TV.

whats even more frightening, in all other threads were gameplay issues are more or less described in a good manner there is no "offical" answer from a dev.

but in a "nonsense-gimme-some-toys-because-they-are-so-cool" thread there u get an offical answer. sad but true...

BitRaiser said:
People have managed to convince themselves that there will be no gameplay tweaks or additional content, but I haven't seen any evidence to support this.

I saw Andrew Orman post directly to you that the game is complete as is. No gameplay changes will be made to the game unless they deem it would substantially improve the game.

For the record, we are listening and reading every single piece of feedback we see. However at this juncture we are feature complete, meaning there will be no new features added to the game. Further, not every suggestion or piece of feedback makes good gameplay sense. And this isn't a democracy - while consistent feedback on a particular topic is welcome and allows us to rethink a particular element of the game, we would only make changes if they substantially improve gameplay.

Andrew Orman
Irrational Games Australia
How To Post A Bug For T:V

Now I ask, who decides what game changes would improve the game?

Irrational.

This comment tells me with all the complaints, they wont even address the ones that seem to be agreed upon by a majority of players. Things like the voting system, for example, dont only need to be fixed for bugs, they should be changed completely.

the voting system, not being an actual game 'feature', could be changed yet as it's the one thing that absolutely above all things requires some kind of change or settings determined by the host server

blissful said:
the voting system, not being an actual game 'feature', could be changed yet as it's the one thing that absolutely above all things requires some kind of change or settings determined by the host server
Plus tourney mode.

?B-MAN said:
I saw Andrew Orman post directly to you that the game is complete as is. No gameplay changes will be made to the game unless they deem it would substantially improve the game.

Er... you noticed that the date on that reply was pre-release? As in, they were about to go gold. He was in effect saying, "there's no time to look at anything else. We have to ship or VUG is going to beat us over the head.".

Now they've had some time to sit back and take a real look at things. We know that there were some features that they were working on that they wanted in place but could finish by the time VUG decreed it must be out the door. Carving and being about to shoot out grapple hooks were both directly mentioned else were as maybe going in post-release.

There's hope.

LouCypher said:
I'm hoping someone in the community steps up and "fixes" T:V base, or mods something spectacular that makes me want to buy T:V.

Not going to happen.

Even if someone came out with a fantastic mod for T:V it would never gernerate any real support or new players. This time around the game really needed to be good out of the starting gate. Unfortunately it came out like a horse with three legs sawed off. Putting crutches on it won't do a thing for it.

BitRaiser said:
T:V might not have as much complexity as T2, but it's still got more to work with than UT. The core of T:V is fine, IMHO, it's just missing a few things (command screen, carving) and doesn't push other things far enough (mapping, deployables, vehicles).

Not really, there isn't much to the core of T:V that is different from UT. BTW, the Havok Physics engine isn't used for skiing onnly for the vehicles. The vehicle physics engine used in UT2004 is far superior and less net intensive.

The sad thing is everything you see in T:V can be accomplished in UT2004. It's not really that hard. The problem is finding anyone who really cares enough to make a Tribes mod for UT2004.

BitRaiser said:
I'm with ya as far as Torque being a perty damn cool engine. The problem is that when T:V development started, Torque was stuck in a quigmire that it's only now emergining from. It was looking really dated and didn't support a lot of elements that are basicly demanded from gamers these days (bump mapping, pixel shading, etc).

Actually that really isn't quite true. They are basically using a very early version of the UT engine for T:V and at the time they decided to use it the torque engine was pretty close to it except for ragdoll which is eyecandy and could have been added later. The sad thing is they really didn't update the UT engine that much for T:V as the instant hacks for the game show.

I think you may find the main reason they didn't use Torque is because some people at VUG/Sierra (a certain weasel who shall hopefully stay out of the entertainment industry) didn't want to have anything to do with the previous creators of Tribes. Basically bad blood. The only reason they delt with them for the patch for T2 is because they fired and alienated everyone else and they needed SOMEONE to step in.

Amadeu5 said:
Plus tourney mode.

Yes I forgot to throw that one in. Im going to laugh hard if Irrational feels these things aren't considered substantial enough to improve the game.

I dont think any of this will be in the next patch, but a later patch, so you will all have to wait another month or more.

[AKA]PanamaJack said:
Not going to happen.

Even if someone came out with a fantastic mod for T:V it would never gernerate any real support or new players. This time around the game really needed to be good out of the starting gate.

I totally agree. I hope we are both wrong. But with this 3rd game, especially after the T2 release debacle, this game needed the MP base game to be outstanding out of the box. This series is cursed by bad business decisions and game changes.

Last edited:
As I said in another thread, I'm not involved in the patch. Guy has already announced what's in the patch as I explained in this post:

KineticPoet said:
Wulfen said:
If you're not involved in the patch at all, doesn't that pretty much mean there will be no balancing at all, and all we can hope for are some bug fixes and Punkbuster?

Heya Wulfen. Yeah, as Guy said in his announcement, the patch contains PunkBuster and "several bugfixes."

So? Do we have any hope in saving T:V? Or should we just pack up and move back to T:1 or T:2, depending on which one floats your boat? I was really looking forward to T:V TAC

I have a question for the design team. It's an honest and genuine one because where ever a patch makes a change to gameplay, someone thought something needed to be fixed. So, my question seeks the logic or reasoning behind making the Light Armours even lighter with the last patch then they were previously. Since I didn't see this as a change that should have been made, because it wasn't in need of fixing, but now they're playing the "jack of all trades" role of T1 [which was frowned apon] again.

We made Mediums to compete in a world of Lights, but then buffed Lights up a notch out of reach again. Mediums can't go on O, as they did before, without getting torn apart by LD and the MD can't give short pursuit like before because the LO are too agile.

The Light has too much agility in combat which it naturally uses to dominate the flow of a duel against a Medium. To me, this is unfavorable and I thought the idea in T:V was to iron this gap out... but the last patch appears to demonstrate the opposite.

What's up?

Last edited:
KineticPoet said:
As I said in another thread, I'm not involved in the patch. Guy has already announced what's in the patch as I explained in this post:

I fcking hope that "several bugfixes" means Tourney / Demo / Toolset, or Tribes will indeed be dead.

Back