News: Vivendi Layoffs; Vengeance work goes on

I hereby start a petition to include a level in T:V that has a secret switch, which when triggered plays a Walker Texas Ranger clip on the ouside of a building.

Good call on the title Col. I'll be chuckling about that one for quite a while.

Mahnken: Here's hoping step two involves you keeping your current business cards. Not to be a crepehanger, but I don't trust VUG to remember your hard work on Vengeance after they liquidated the Weasel.

c'est la vie du tribes.

i personally think american game industry types, especially small and medium sized companies, need to get some real lobbying efforts going so that they can fight more fairly against french entertainment investments. when teh french government is subsidizing and making investments favorable for this market, the american capital needs to get smart and be taken more seriously. this industry is still in its seminal stages, and the drama around VUGames seems to be becoming more of the norm.

The fact that Vivendi is a French held company is moot. In a global economy, the location of the parent company means absolutely pookie.

It's about the cash.

I don't know a ton about Vivendi or it's business decisions but I do know that pointing to them as being headquartered outside the States doesn't really mean a heck of a lot these days.

Oh, and I also know that Thrax is a darn hippy.

Crowbar Bob said:
The fact that Vivendi is a French held company is moot. In a global economy, the location of the parent company means absolutely pookie.

It's about the cash.

I don't know a ton about Vivendi or it's business decisions but I do know that pointing to them as being headquartered outside the States doesn't really mean a heck of a lot these days.

Oh, and I also know that Thrax is a darn hippy.
I think the fact that they are a French power and utility company has a lot to do with their decisions. They ventured into something they didn't understand at a time when they shouldn't have and made very poor decisions.

Thrax Panda said:
3. Dynamix was not pushed to get the game out before it was ready. They were pushed to come within a year of their original schedule. When you have a multi million dollar budget to make a game in two years, and you run more than a year long, the budget overruns are a very significant percentage of the full project. Like an extra 60%. At that point, if you don't think pressure should be applied, you're just fooling yourself

So this is why Dave Georgeson was sent to Dynamix circa March 2000. Sierra wanted a producer on-site to supervise its investment once the original timeframe had passed. Sierra decided to play hardball but picked an idiot to be the pitcher.

Diamondback|ChT said:
Nah. Like just about everyone else who has worked for Sierra, we remain angry and embittered :) Hell, you oughta talk to Skeet sometime. Makes me look like a cupcake. Corporate malfeasance will have that effect.

Corporate malfeasance? That's a lot of letters to say I-D-I-O-T-S.

BTW, I'm neither angry nor embittered. Sry. :(

Diamondback|ChT said:
Nah. Like just about everyone else who has worked for Sierra, we remain angry and embittered :) Hell, you oughta talk to Skeet sometime. Makes me look like a cupcake. Corporate malfeasance will have that effect.

If/when you get pink-slipped, you can come join us. Always room for one more.

You're just mad you no longer get to work with Capt. Spittle™. :rofl:

Back