On Style Points..

OMFG! STOP ARGUING ABOUT THIS IT IS RIDICULOUS! PLAY THE GAME HOWEVER YOU WANT BUT STFU PLEASE!

Just give it up.

:shrug: This is a fun argument though. I used to think that it was all about my team winning until I came to the realization that I have basically no control over my team winning. In a team ladder match is very different...but in a pub, eff, who cares if your team wins or not. You're cast into a room of a bunch of random people with varying skill levels, so why care about winning/losing?

Void|deadjawa said:
:shrug: This is a fun argument though. I used to think that it was all about my team winning until I came to the realization that I have basically no control over my team winning. In a team ladder match is very different...but in a pub, eff, who cares if your team wins or not. You're cast into a room of a bunch of random people with varying skill levels, so why care about winning/losing?
This is not a good argument. It is all personal opinion and you're both talking to brick walls. You're never going to change your opinion (because there is no logical reason for you to) and afex is never going to change his opinion (because there is no logical reason for him to). So end it or I end it for you.

Colosus said:
This is not a good argument. It is all personal opinion and you're both talking to brick walls. You're never going to change your opinion (because there is no logical reason for you to) and afex is never going to change his opinion (because he is right). So end it or I end it for you.

fixed.

Colosus said:
This is not a good argument. It is all personal opinion and you're both talking to brick walls. You're never going to change your opinion (because there is no logical reason for you to) and afex is never going to change his opinion (because there is no logical reason for him to). So end it or I end it for you.
:lol: colosus :chill: man.

Of all the pointless arguments going on in TW and even TT this is one of the most benign. If you're going to ban me or lock this thread then so be it, its a menial thing to get worked up about.

“Look out in a distance and see more then 5 ft in front of you...”

Scoring is good. I love it, but its not for my sole benefit.. In the long run scoring helps the game because it helps set individuals from the team (witch is good in pubs)... In an actual tournament where scores don’t matter, no-one looks at them. Problem already solved.. No-one looks at them, they don’t exist..

Granted its not a absolute necessity that there be individual scoring, but its something to have in there while the next mission loads.

Keep in mind T1’s individual scoring and what a crap that was <3

style points? configurable via SOAP-over-HTTP no doubt. Just get the game to be as tight as possible. Next you'll announce a built-in mail client, a built-in browser, a built-in forum, a built-in home page.

karl

-The reward for going for safer killing methods like not MA's is more rewarding, reducing the chances of people playing like crap because they only go for MA's and thus hit, say, 1/5 shots.

-There's no name authentication, so the reward you get for seeing your name on top of the list is reduced by knowing that you're not getting any kind of peer recognition in pubs, though you are still getting personal satisfaction, but nothing more.

So smart play is rewarded. Stylish play is rewarded a bit. Smart, stylish play is highly rewarded. Seems to go with their motto, and seems like a well balanced system. There are more important aspects to stats than this.

Pubs are the breeding grounds for new recruits.
You want your new players going for the MA all the time, as he thinks he should?
Then you get all the fun of trying to get him to change his stle of play..

Get rid of style points.. for me you could get rid of all personal points.
If you must have them, then add in -5 points for a cap against the team.
Make all the points reflect what happens with your flag.

KP, not to be disrespectful, but there is a difference between points and stats. Points should be used to determine victory. Stats are used to understand the victory - like a box score in baseball.

A win is a win, pretty or ugly.

[DT]Karma said:
Pubs are the breeding grounds for new recruits.
You want your new players going for the MA all the time, as he thinks he should?
Then you get all the fun of trying to get him to change his stle of play..

Get rid of style points.. for me you could get rid of all personal points.
:browsmile

Well, let's put in a simple case that I'm sure a lot of people have already pointed out. I just did not care to read the 160 or so posts before me. I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

Let's take a simple case. the flagger is about 20 feet from you, in PERFECT MA range; but he is in the air! what do 90% of the people pull out? Their disks. Ana what happens 99% of the time? The flagger caps. I mean if he is anywhere remotely in mid air, all we need to do is whip out of chain and whore his ass down. I don't care how close he is, 10 feet or 100 feet. The chain is probably 5-10x more effective and efficient in bringing down the enemy.

And with "Style points" you give more incentive for MA's and other "cooler" shots but not enough attention to the smartest move, eg. the chaingun on the capper 20 feet away.

The thing that makes it most fun is playing smart, not playing cool. Don't get me wrong, the occasional MA is nice, but honestly overrated.

Then again, maybe I wouldn't know. I haven't hit a MA in months. I always chain, even if the guy is on ground. lol.

Cheers
-W- TeRRoR

Gordon Gekko said:
The point is ladies and gentlemen that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of it's forms - greed for life, for money, knowledge, style points - has marked the upward surge of mankind and greed - you mark my words - will not only save Tribes:Vengence but that other malfunctioning corporation called Vivendi Universal Games. Thank you.

Last edited:
JimBodkins said:
KP, not to be disrespectful, but there is a difference between points and stats. Points should be used to determine victory. Stats are used to understand the victory - like a box score in baseball.

A win is a win, pretty or ugly.
Nah, that's not disrespectful. It's just a semantic disagreement. Points are points to me. I wouldn't say "I have 4 offense stats and 2 defense stats," I'd say, "I have 4 offense points and 2 defense points,"
KP

Sounds great, KP.

Setting up and making run such a stat-engine takes lot's of time I guess? I hope, that the core-value of the new game, the playability will not suffer due to the investment in this stat-system.

Can't wait playing it the first time.

"Style" points dramatically affected the way pubs and even matches were played in TR2, in my opinion in a negative way. Allthough they also did not affect team score, it could get frustrating when a couple guys in the server would decide to play a game of keep away, to build their personal points.

Back