KP, Thrax, how does it feel.

For the T1 holdouts....would it really have been that hard to take the classic mod or the original game and turn it into the equivalent of T1? I tinkered with the server side code for T1 a bit and I imagine T2's was similar (maybe not though). You could remove the weapons from T2 that were new and take out the grenades. Adjust the vehicles or remove them. Speed up the players and adjust gravity appropriately and include the correct maps and voila....a prettier T1.

I presume its not as easy as I stated because it hasnt been done.

:shrug:

Candide said:
For the T1 holdouts....would it really have been that hard to take the classic mod or the original game and turn it into the equivalent of T1? I tinkered with the server side code for T1 a bit and I imagine T2's was similar (maybe not though). You could remove the weapons from T2 that were new and take out the grenades. Adjust the vehicles or remove them. Speed up the players and adjust gravity appropriately and include the correct maps and voila....a prettier T1.

I presume its not as easy as I stated because it hasnt been done.

:shrug:

I'd have to agree. Classic got it close to physics/speed as T1.

Really you could. But the real reason is for the ass performance and instability of T2/Torque.

Legends is another example of a project that could have easily replicated T1, they chose not to take that path but someone could.

With all the passion of the T1 with pretty graphics people out there, I'm surprised a T2 mod or Torque creation hasn't already been in the works. Makes you think there's something more going on.

:)

Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
- T.S. Elliott

Being upset that something isn't what you hoped is one thing. Having the determination to stick with a project long enough to make it into what you had hoped is another.

Also, if I recall, there were some values not available to script (gravity I think) that made it impossible to change certain aspects of the physics until the Classic patch.

Still, there were at least 5 attempts that I know of to cater to some degree to the folks who wanted T2 to be more like T1: base++, veteran mod, v2, classic and Legends.

i hope t:v pleases everyone so we can all MOVE ON!

talk about beating a 5 year old horse.

hopefully t:v is good enough so that t1 can go where it rightly deserves ---> the classic section of ur bookcase..... but the bookcase nonetheless

KillerONE said:
T2 didn't fail cause gravity was set higher than T1. There were SOOOOO many other factors for T2's failure.

Adding the 1500 disgruntled T1 players to T2, wouldn't have made T2 successful. So stop kidding yourself.

T2 Classic is very close to T1 in terms of physics. And that changed nothing in terms of T2's success, or bring in more than 5 T1 players over.

Yeah, it was more than the physics, though that played a part in putting ppl off. I only played for a little while so I have no idea if I would have liked T2 in the long run if I had had the time like I did in T1 to play.

Here's what got me from the little I played T2:

Maps: too big, in fact, they tried to make everything bigger which didn't seem to work so well. I think the developers got caught up in the false logic these days that better means bigger.

Vehicles: in T1, vehicles where a part of the game as much as the blaster was...they didn't seem integral to the game, but they worked in the minimal roles they played. T2 tried to change that and I'm not so sure it worked...if anything it seemed to muddle up the concept of a game based on skiing.

Skiing: something ppl don't think about is that we may have reacted badly to a ski script being shipped with the game. Think about it...by the time we had ski scripts in T1, most of us had worked for hours on hammering the space bar and improving our skiing abilities...it didn't seem like cheating to download and use ski scripts at that point...we already had the skills, this just relieved our thumbs. T2 shipped with a built in ski script and maybe it seemed too easy for some ppl. I dunno if anyone gets exactly what I'm saying, but oddly enough I think the process of having to go download scripts over just having it part of the game might count for something in the subconcious of gamers (dumb as it would be)

I also wonder how maps will turn out now that ppl build them with skiing in mind. Was T1 just a freak accident? probably not because balanced maps turned out to be fun and by then skiing was a factor in the game. Remember how everyone hated them at first? it's because we got lazy for a while and felt like newbies on new maps...ppl just need patience again. Knowing a map inside out is as important as anything else in tribes in order to get great at the game imo

Definately agree.. Maps played a HUGE role in early T2 frustrations. Not only did you have to deal with slower paced armors.. but getting to the action took a lot more time, not to mention on lots of maps the flag was buried.

Had the maps atleast been designed for flag movement, T2 might have been atleast bearable for some of the T1 vets. HUGE stretches of wasted space between bases, and the awesome "speed cap" that kept everyone going 50kph in a 300kph zone was enough to spoon your own heart out.

Ultimately, though, inability to install, patch, play with good FPS and horrid stability put T2 at little to no chance for mass acceptance. Even though it didn't cater to the T1 crowd, it still was enjoyed by lots of players. But probably 75% of potential players were turned away just on technical problems alone, imo.

(this is definately beating a dead horse)

Also, to point it, no Classic might not be smack on.. but it's CLOSER than Base was. The ability to change gravity gave the potential to make a T1 mod real. Also, I don't see why a Legends Mod couldn't also do a great T1 impression.

And, if T:V doesn't convince T1'ers, I suppose a "Classic" mod again could be resurrected early on to satisfy that crowd. I really hope every Tribes player gives T:V a nice length of time to truly test out all dynamics (omg DYNAMIX!!) before taking that route. Honestly, though, even if that happens, I think T:V will be pulling in LOTS of players creating a huge following that won't be affected if a few hundred spin off with their own mod.

Anwho..

Back