Tricked out Tribes? Expanding movement in T:V

Fraggy Poo said:
I gotta say, the whole "catching projectiles" thing is just dumb. Sorry dude, but in this game its hard enough to hit someone with an ma... letting them block it or latch on to it makes it more of a defensive game. This game needs to be offensively oriented.
MA's are not that hard to get at all.
and if you saying to make the game offensively oriented, that just says to me "make it easy to cowboy". There goes the difficulty and the oh so precious balance. Allowing attacks to be blocked would add a whole new level to teamplay to those that were good enough to MA. you could MA your teammates in mid air to give them a boost. I say in order to block you have to be looking right at the incoming projectile and hit an action button at a fraction of a second before impact. If you miss you will lose more life for taking the blow head on. How is this lame if it obviously requires some low reaction time and a extra penalty if you screw up the parry?

all this 'reverse jetpack', engage right thrust, flip here, flip there, bollocks. This isn't a MS flight sim ya kno.

If you make the flying sooo complicated in T:V it'll detract from the game itself. Plus you'll need a key map like FreeSpace 2.

[EDIT] i thought homing missiles were out of T:V?

Virtus said:
How about some team moves (i.e. moves that require more than one player).

Boost
Player A (probably a Heavy) turns to face Player B, squats, and clasps his hands together - creating a "step".

Player B runs toward Player A and places one foot in Player A's hands. Player A simultaneously lifts and tosses Player B for greater height and/or velocity. Yanno... like you do to toss a buddy over a fence or a wall but with armor-strength assist.

thats the dumbest, but funniest thing i read in this topic. :)

VaporTrail said:
Sorry, but no.

First, basic thermodynamics states that energy cannot come from nothing. The system involving the flag, and the player grabbing, would have NO energy input. You can try this by attempting to slingshot off a light pole while rollerblading. On a level surface, the slingshot will only alter the direction of your velocity vector, and reduce it in magnitude by a small amount. (Attempting this with anything you might be able to pick up out of the ground would likely result in you busting your ass, but this is a game, so...) The centrifugal force is a RESULT of the energy brought into the system by the player. It does not add to the momentum. The ONLY instance in which a "slingshot" manuver works in this manner is with stellar objects and spacecraft. Even then, the energy added to the system by gravity is taken away on the outbound leg. Any velocity increase is attributable to the drive of the spacecraft.

Second, as a game, this manuver must be balanced, and having the player GAIN momentum from it, which will result in leaving the stand FASTER than he came in, is not balanced. The advantage of leaving the stand with a vector that is significantly different from the the arrival vector should be balanced out by a loss of momentum.

Ever been on a marry-go-round? Or how bout this...ever seen a break dancer? When they spin on their head, the farther away their limbs are to the central point of motion the slower they go and they can simply increase their speed of rotation by pulling their arms and legs into a tuck bringing them closer to the central point of energy in rotation therefore increasing their speed. Now I think That I was slightly mistaken by saying what I said. Although now I think about it in order for it to be truly a scientific fact, wich dosnt matter becuase this is a game. they would have to spin around the flag pole after approaching it at a very fast speed not being stopped or slowed in any fashion by any object and hitting that central point at a perfect angle. If swung around only once it would make a minimal change and more then likely just keep that person at his/her present speed.

Void|deadjawa said:
:lol: this thread has gone way out of bounds.
No kidding. :ugh:
Well i tried to put it on a leash for my part. Looks like people are determined to trash the weak ideas instead of suggesting their own.
I hate you all. :razz:

I liked your ideas; clean, simple. But some of the things in the latter elements of the thread are just off the wall. Your ideas arent exactly the center of attention anymore, but its good to have this kind of discussion. It gets everyone excited about the possibilities of the game. You asked the right question...and apparently now everybody has an opinion on it :)

Ok, the situation I am visualizing is thus:

A light armor is flying in towards the flag on a map similar to RollerCoaster. Coming in straight at the flag just boosted off that hill that is right before the base and has decent velocity. He/She Then flys at the flag Grabbing it by pressing the "option" button right at the very second of grabing the flag and that person SPINS around the flag while holding down the button releasing at the precise moment flying them off the flag with whatever energy is left at the same velocity give or take alittle , on to the very hill as they ski away to cap.

is that any more clear?

Stage01 said:
Ever been on a marry-go-round? Or how bout this...ever seen a break dancer? When they spin on their head, the farther away their limbs are to the central point of motion the slower they go and they can simply increase their speed of rotation by pulling their arms and legs into a tuck bringing them closer to the central point of energy in rotation therefore increasing their speed. Now I think That I was slightly mistaken by saying what I said. Although now I think about it in order for it to be truly a scientific fact, wich dosnt matter becuase this is a game. they would have to spin around the flag pole after approaching it at a very fast speed not being stopped or slowed in any fashion by any object and hitting that central point at a perfect angle. If swung around only once it would make a minimal change and more then likely just keep that person at his/her present speed.

As you say, this is a game. What matters isn't scientific facts, but game balance. To make the manuver balanced, the capper would have to sacrifice something for the unpredictability of his exit vector. The only thing he has to spare is speed. Losing a small percentage of his initial velocity compensates for his ability to exit the stand at an almost complete opposite vector than his entry.

Remember the Snowblind base? Closed flag, only one direct route in, with no direct routes out? What would happen if you could pull a 180 off the flag with no speed degredation?

Suddenly Snowblind isn't all that hard a map to cap on anymore, because you pretty much nullify the fact you can't get out of the base at speed. Couple that with a disc jump and the capper's almost home free, barring sniper and chainwhore LD.

More importantly:

Will male armor have penis bulges and will female armor have moose knuckles?

Don't forget the ass, too.

(plz keep basic movement down to 4 keys for us retards who need extra fingers/hands for other activities while playing)

VaporTrail said:
As you say, this is a game. What matters isn't scientific facts, but game balance. To make the manuver balanced, the capper would have to sacrifice something for the unpredictability of his exit vector. The only thing he has to spare is speed. Losing a small percentage of his initial velocity compensates for his ability to exit the stand at an almost complete opposite vector than his entry.

Remember the Snowblind base? Closed flag, only one direct route in, with no direct routes out? What would happen if you could pull a 180 off the flag with no speed degredation?

Suddenly Snowblind isn't all that hard a map to cap on anymore, because you pretty much nullify the fact you can't get out of the base at speed. Couple that with a disc jump and the capper's almost home free, barring sniper and chainwhore LD.

Every time something is changed dosnt mean something else has to be changed to balance it. Think of it this way, If this nutcase is flying around in circles over a flag pole in open areas like Snowblind or RollerCoaster. First of all, it would be alittle difficult to get timing down, so skill is involved, second of all it leaves him as a WIDE OPEN target for a sniper, in that split 1-3 seconds that he spins around the flag. Also for anyone with a mine or a disk. So something is being sacrificed, well not exactly sacrificed it would more or less be a "to each his own" philosophy on the move.Because it wouldnt necassarily be better to flip around all the time because of the added time available to be shot at. So it just depends on the person and what he/she likes doing. I just think thats the way it SHOULD be built. Not necasarilly having to sacrifice something.

Back