[T:V] New Weapon Ideas

screw vehicles, you should be able to have 2 packs. One e-pack, and one is a hoverboard that you can jump off of while in motion, and it'll kill stuff. cool.

a grappling hook, if not made too unbalanced, would be cool as hell.. i was thinking something along the lines of a tribal spiderman, but that's probably a bit overpowered. imagine flying through the destroyed city or whatever that was, in the first tv movie, shooting a hook out and using the line to swing around buildings and cut corners. that'd take so much skill to get the curve/timing/speed/angles right, and you'd smack into a building if you F'd it up. owned.

i dunno what the ammo supply should be, possibly have this as an alternative to carrying grenades? or as a separate weapon? i dont think a massive ammo supply would be a good thing at all. maybe something like 5 shots would be ideal

the tether should be destoyable, and have a max distance. you could click the fire button on the 'gun', or whatever you'd use to launch it, (after it fired) to lock the length of the tether (before locking, its like casting a fishing pole), and hold fire to 'reel yourself in' (maybe a different setup would be better as this leaves you unable to use another weapon)

if it could be used on other players (i vote no?), the pull strength should be based on armor size, first, and speed second. (ex. if you just stood still and shot someone else standing still, they would hear a clank or something, but wouldnt get pulled. if you then DJ'd in the opposite direction, you'd pull him along w/ you, at about half the normal speed?) i think if used on players, that could get real bad, real fast though. if it's useable on players, it should be usable on vehicles, etc also, & same rules apply for pull strength

didnt mean to write a novel but i think this would be a very fun addition. :)

SouLNibbleR said:
In the category of a shield weapon to protect you this might be a fun one that requires some skill. How about a gun that shoots out a shockwave at about 45 degrees from the gun, which absorbs an attack at a 1-1 level. IE, you shoot this gun, the wave comes out and expands infront of you, and if say a disc came at you and it hit the shield it would explode and the shield would dissapear. After a certain short distance the shield would become to wide and lose it's strength to repel attacks. So it would take alot of skill to time your shield guns attack because if you did it too early the enemy fire would pierce your weakened shield "shockwave" and hit you. Alot of timing could also be used to block mine explosions and it could even be used to reduce some damage from really powerful weapons such as mortars. I don't think it should work physically against people, because that would eliminate body blocking, but it could protect a body blocker from being disced out of the way. The shield COULD have a physical effect on vehicles such as stopping them from ramming you as hard, or damaging the vehicle by acting as a soft wall that slows it down and hurts it somewhat. It could defend people from being rammed by vehicles in this way as well. Lotsa other uses could be thought of i'm sure.

We could call it the pussy weapon! (Pussy as in "you hide behind this weapon thingy", not the actual thing...)

Last edited:
I've got it!

What we need is a shrink ray.. that way you can shrink other players and step on them! Also, you can put mosuse holes in the bases, and once shrunk, you can easily navigate through these- but look out! Because once the effects wear off and you're stuck in one of the tunnels you die..

This isn't Duke Nukem 3D! :)

Anyway, I was thinking of an EMP gun. It feeds off your energy resources, using up all your available energy (like laser rifle). When you fire it, a well visible shockwave would be released to all directions (i.e. sphere), wich would explode every projectile it touches. Those who played Deus Ex already know this as 'Agressive Defense System'. It should have a very slow fire rate though so it won't be overpowered, and the max range should not exceed the mortar's damage range.

Amadeu5 said:
Anyway, I was thinking of an EMP gun. It feeds off your energy resources, using up all your available energy (like laser rifle). When you fire it, a well visible shockwave would be released to all directions (i.e. sphere), wich would explode every projectile it touches. Those who played Deus Ex already know this as 'Agressive Defense System'. It should have a very slow fire rate though so it won't be overpowered, and the max range should not exceed the mortar's damage range.

SIGNED! :)

I see that making a HoF way too powerful. Maybe make and emp pack, and not a gun. If you had an emp gun + shield pack that could be a problem. EMP pack might be interesting though. It could inflict damage on objects/players in the area too, but be energy based like the laser rifle: full energy, largest strongest sphere, less energy, weaker smaller sphere. Also you could vary the strength based on armor size. Heavy, with the largest energy bank, would get the best EMP blast, but obviously heavies recharge much slower than light so it would balance.

I'd like to see some actual difference between the weapons and armors (mostly just the graphics), it'd help develop the story a bit more. Let's face it, you don't really know which "side" you are on except when you look at the tab screen or 3rd person. It'd just be nice if there were variations on the weapons and armors so you'd know quickly who you were fighting with/against so you could get a good feel of an actual battle taking place. It'd make it more "epic" while keeping it roughly the same. And while we are at it, what about different voices/bases/vehicle styles :D

|MrSniper|Nyx said:
I see that making a HoF way too powerful. Maybe make and emp pack, and not a gun. If you had an emp gun + shield pack that could be a problem. EMP pack might be interesting though. It could inflict damage on objects/players in the area too, but be energy based like the laser rifle: full energy, largest strongest sphere, less energy, weaker smaller sphere. Also you could vary the strength based on armor size. Heavy, with the largest energy bank, would get the best EMP blast, but obviously heavies recharge much slower than light so it would balance.
An EMP pack should be just like Agr. Def. Sys. in Deus Ex: continuos effect and energy drain. Or you'd have to make a reactivation delay, so you won't be able to continuosly release mini-EMPs wich would make you invulnerable against blaster, laser and CG (since they don't explode). Or, you could just make a minimum energy level that is needed to cast it.

Other than that, GriDLoK, I like your idea, but it must be admitted that major changes can't be made to the models to keep the hitboxes the same (different hitboxes for different teams suck).

I'd like to see a bigger variance in deployable turrets.

Clamp turrets are nice.. but also I'd like to see the following.

Bring back the old turrets from t1 call it the ion turret or something.

Spike turrets are ok, but they need to fire a bit faster or hit a little harder.

An emp turret would be nice, make it indoors only so people aren't throwing one on top of the flag. Would help defend against shieldpack heavies.

Some sort of chaingun turret to replace the current AA turret. Also make it respond just a little faster.

I'd like to see deployable base inventories, not attached to an mpb, and make it a 1 time per map drop. Once it's placed it cannot be moved or destroyed. Well the station itself can be destroyed but repaired. The small hut it's in cannot be destroyed.

I'd like to see deployable forcefields. With a special tool (emp grenades?) which would render them useless. Or make them destroyable by placing 2 emitters which could be destroyed. Like what is in unreal 2.

I'd like to see the teleport station that is in the MPB in classic, be deployed separately from the mpb, in a spot within range of the MPB (for power reasons).

I'd like to see the rocket turret be controlable by a person and fired manually without lock.

I'd like to see plasma mines, intrusion detector beacons, and variable speed seting on a plasma gun (fastest setting would replace a blaster) and make it an energy based weapon.

DarkHound said:

Spike turrets are ok, but they need to fire a bit faster or hit a little harder.

An emp turret would be nice, make it indoors only so people aren't throwing one on top of the flag. Would help defend against shieldpack heavies.

Some sort of chaingun turret to replace the current AA turret. Also make it respond just a little faster.

I'd like to see deployable base inventories, not attached to an mpb, and make it a 1 time per map drop. Once it's placed it cannot be moved or destroyed. Well the station itself can be destroyed but repaired. The small hut it's in cannot be destroyed.

I'd like to see deployable forcefields. With a special tool (emp grenades?) which would render them useless. Or make them destroyable by placing 2 emitters which could be destroyed. Like what is in unreal 2.

I'd like to see the teleport station that is in the MPB in classic, be deployed separately from the mpb, in a spot within range of the MPB (for power reasons).

I'd like to see the rocket turret be controlable by a person and fired manually without lock.

I'd like to see plasma mines, intrusion detector beacons, and variable speed seting on a plasma gun (fastest setting would replace a blaster) and make it an energy based weapon.
what you want is....renegades?

DarkHound said:

Umm - the missile turrets in T2 can be controlled and fired without lock

And it sound like you really should play War2003 or Renegades mods.

Surreal's completely "original" idea of a weapon (just 1) but with a few more options with them.

Grappling Hook - The weapon should enable players to swing around buildings and etc. The weapon should be used by clicking once(shooting) and extends all the way until you click again. Even if the weapon finds a target (building/enemy/friendly/hills/ground), the hook will still extend until the user clicks the button and holds. Holding the button will make the hook no longer extend and stay in place. Letting go of the button will unhook the target and return to the player.

This could be used both on buildings and people. For the buildings, the player can use to swing around like spiderman (I said this before ;\) and can also against the ground so that the player will do somewhat of a beacon stop, or turn around in a 360 degree angle (will take time to master).

The weapon can also be used against enemies/friendly units to help a person get around the place. The weapon will be able to grab a person, and make that person unable to move farther away from the player using the weapon, or give the player the ability to swing the player into buildings/hills, damaging them. The weapon can only do this against players in the same armor as the user or below. Example: A light cannot use this against a heavy because the heavy armor has more mass and force that the light would be PULLED with the heavy. A Heavy can use the grappling hook against another heavy though, considering both players have the same weight.

Another idea on this weapon (I think its stupid and shouldnt be inputted into the game) is the ability to grab items like grenades and mines. By grabbing the mine in midair(requires some skills), you can use it to swing around like a fucking chainball where if you come into contact, you = owned (bad idea since if it hits the ground, it'll blow up, and also it'll prolly blow up in your face)... or it can be used to detonate a mine in midair like a MA disc. By grabbing the nade in midair(also requires some skills), you can throw the nade around a corner that it'll blow up the people behind the wall. Of course, the nade will still have the same amount of time until it explodes (or have it extend a bit). Theres two ways i thought of this, one is that you throw the item and then grab it, or use the item at the same time you throw the item, having the item connected to the weapon right when you use it.

Since the idea of using a weapon would seem to be "cheap" or "gay" to some players, the grappling hook should only extend a certain distance (say, 50-100 meters). Also, the grappling hook should decrease the speed a little if used to swing around. Oh, and it should also return to the player automatically after 5 seconds, 2 if used on a player (so it wont be too cheap). The weapon should also use up a "weapon slot", unlike weapons that doesnt affect the amount you can hold like the targeting laser. Last thing, the weapon should be energy based, like, it drains energy as the hook is flying away. By doing this, the weapon wont be abused as much since it just makes the player energy used to turn directions instead of being used to increase speed or fly higher.

Having a weapon like this would really add a new dimension to Tribes. Being able to swing around, having the ability to change directions at will, and the ability to stop players from running away... this weapon could give Tribes new ideas and increase the learning curve.

weee >:]

Last edited:
How about cluster grenades? An explosion similar to the normal nade (could be a bit smaller), wich spawns 4-5 (or more) smaller grenades wich fly in random directions. The first grenade should explode after a fixed time though, so you won't be able to kill someone with a single nade right on his head. Secondary nades can explode on touch.

Edit: while at it, napalm grenades could be made too. These should obviously explode on impact, setting the nearby area (5 meters for example) on fire for a few seconds. Their explosion delay (the time before they can epxlode) should be rather high though, so you'll need targeting (or luck :)) to hit your target from shorter distances.

This makes me wonder... all these grenades could be fired from the grenade launcher. The question is: should you be able to carry more types of grenades at once and be able to change the ammo for the launcher, or only carry one type, but when you're out of ammo you can pick up another type of grenade.

Last edited:
Maybe have an ELF gun that doesnt automatically lock onto players. Maybe one that you have to actually aim, like a normal gun. Have it use energy like a blaster, but shoot like a chaingun. the player hit looses something like 1.5 times the energy used on each shot?

TV is supposed to be before T1 and T2... so it kinda makes sense that the "older" version of the elf will be harder to use, right?

-r3y

Back