[got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire by Mogs - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire
Page 7 of 11
Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
121 - 11-29-2017, 11:26
one thing disney doesn't care about is the IP they paid many billions to obtain and enforce

LMFAO

amadeus is full tard on every subject he ever posted on

he should stick to what he knows and that is being a child who watches cartoons but stuck in a middle aged mans body.........being as much of an adult as a Brony Michael Jackson

Last edited by Captain Tele; 11-29-2017 at 11:34..
Sponsored Links
Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
122 - 11-29-2017, 11:28
i think they only paid ~4.5b on it

(((georgie))) blew at least 2.8b of that on silly historical revisionist film projects 4 his wife amirite

Captain Tele
Veteran³
Immigrant
Old
123 - 11-29-2017, 11:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edofnor View Post
i think they only paid ~4.5b on it

(((georgie))) blew at least 2.8b of that on silly historical revisionist film projects 4 his wife amirite
oh that is right

the pimp my plane project nobody watched and the ones who did regretted

how could i forget?

i am pretty sure it featured xhibit as both a star actor and soundtrack

only bombs it dropped were at box office

but at least they went out as KANGZ with WINGZ

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
124 - 11-29-2017, 12:14
despite the angry worthless whining neckbeard gamers tears, EA is one of the biggest/most successful video game publishers in the world

they were given the exclusive licence because they had just launched swtor and had the capacity and engine to offer more. im sure the deal was quite complex and lucrative for all those involved.

disney only stepped in here because they likely dont want this bull**** before a major release they have planned...something about a movie on dec 15...the "call" was likely "im not happy, fix this". battlefront will go on selling very well and will adjust their business case for whatever microtransaction system they pivot to.

no one gives a **** about fat entitled millennial losers signing online petitions.

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
125 - 11-29-2017, 13:19
This just in from EA: you can't have pink Darth Vader, so they had to make a pay to win game instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNbXmIXUOo

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
126 - 11-29-2017, 15:10
Skins will only earn you meager amount of money, it's all in the accessories you sell to go along with it.

Pink purse and lightsaber for Pink Darth.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
127 - 11-29-2017, 15:26
Man.... I remember the days when I played games because they were fun to play, and not to unlock, achieve and collect ****.

If they gave you everything upfront, how long would players actually continue playing Battlefront before they grew bored of it?

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
128 - 11-29-2017, 15:42
I cringe every time I read a post where someone comments how there's no incentive to play (in regards to multiplayer) once you've unlocked everything.

Anyone remember playing 24/7 De_Dust in 2001 for hours straight because it was fun? Katabatic (lol)? Facing Worlds? When did that stop?

I blame WoW. Blizzard trained players to expect constant participation rewards every 15 minutes as the 'point' to playing. As long as they can shovel busy work to get you chase that next title, transmog, achievement, etc the paint chip eaters will stay happy.

Multiplayer games don't need "progression". The interaction between players is the content. Today's generation of gamers are hopeless. Give them all a microphone and it's toxic town. Your opponents are no longer the players on the opposite team; it's your own teammates as everyone scrambles to blame each other for every death/loss.

Amadeus
VeteranXX
Old
129 - 11-30-2017, 14:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
This just in from EA: you can't have pink Darth Vader, so they had to make a pay to win game instead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNbXmIXUOo
Oh and by the way it turns out that they actually do already have a lot of cosmetic **** in the game, it's just locked away for now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCqAHGO-cZI

So yeah, even their bull**** excuse was a lie.

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
130 - 11-30-2017, 14:03
is it worth installing trieb on my laptop? I think my desktop hdd is about to take a **** imma back that **** up (aw yea) and stress test before replacing I think. I guess a scandisk might tell me what's up it's been awhile

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
131 - 11-30-2017, 14:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tele View Post
oh that is right

the pimp my plane project nobody watched and the ones who did regretted

how could i forget?

i am pretty sure it featured xhibit as both a star actor and soundtrack

only bombs it dropped were at box office

but at least they went out as KANGZ with WINGZ
no body went to go see it there were no reviews with everyone talking over the movie

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
132 - 11-30-2017, 15:04
Call me crazy, but I'm ok with stupid people paying a stupid tax.

https://kotaku.com/meet-the-19-year-...tra-1820854953

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
133 - 11-30-2017, 15:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
I cringe every time I read a post where someone comments how there's no incentive to play (in regards to multiplayer) once you've unlocked everything.

Anyone remember playing 24/7 De_Dust in 2001 for hours straight because it was fun? Katabatic (lol)? Facing Worlds? When did that stop?

I blame WoW. Blizzard trained players to expect constant participation rewards every 15 minutes as the 'point' to playing. As long as they can shovel busy work to get you chase that next title, transmog, achievement, etc the paint chip eaters will stay happy.

Multiplayer games don't need "progression". The interaction between players is the content. Today's generation of gamers are hopeless. Give them all a microphone and it's toxic town. Your opponents are no longer the players on the opposite team; it's your own teammates as everyone scrambles to blame each other for every death/loss.
When your game is designed around a shallow concept that doesn't provide enough incentive or payoff to keep players playing it, you need a carrot and a stick to make them play despite not really having the motivation to play for the sake of fun. I don't know how man times I've heard fellow World of Tanks players lament "I hate driving this ****ing tank, this is not fun!" ... followed by...

"Why are you still playing this game then?" ....
"Because I need the next tank in the progression tree" ...
"I thought you have fun with the other tank" ...
"They released a new Tech Tree with new tanks, but the fun tank is locked behind all these not-fun tanks".

That's where the progression mechanics entered the realm of design. Those mechanics tied nicely into micro-transactions and monetization. You meter out your limited content because it is finite and basically shallow gratification that doesn't perpetuate very well. If you gave it all to them upfront, they'd get bored of it quickly and stop playing. Go play another game and lose interest in your game.

Tribes 1 only had nine weapons. 1 grenade. 1 mine, a beacon and a health kit. That's all you needed. Hundreds of hours of gameplay out of that. Nowadays, games advertise how they are better because of all the guns they offer, "30 model weapons to unlock", yet they're all designed around the basic fundamental traits of Tribes basic 9 weapons. They're just 8 shades white. This one shoots faster, this one hits a little harder, this one has more ammo... ect.

It's amusing to read the comment of "pride in accomplishment" and how triggered the community became, because it is so right and yet so wrong at the same time. Bullseye, you hit the central nerve right where it hurts most. Your game is about pecking a button in a virtual skinners box in the guise of a game and you just called out your players as the dumb pigeons trapped in the experiment that they are.

"Pride in Accomplishment" is a perfectly valid facet you should build into your game. That does matter and motivates players to keep coming back for more. However, where is the accomplishment in grinding **** out or paying to play the loot box lottery?

In tribes pride of accomplishment came from scoring a midair hit on your opponent, finally nailing the cap route to grab the flag, crashing the generator room in heavy armor. The day my n00b-self discovered that first you jump, then you jet to take off was a like discovering a super-power. Something that simple and dumb, like mastering the platform tutorial and feeling the "ah-ha!" moment of figuring out how to work the jetpack felt like an accomplishment well beyond what gun I can use or what color of helmet I get to wear next because I paid money or ground out hours playing a mundane activity.

If you unlocked all the characters and "cards" in Battlefront II on day one.... what keeps you playing after a few days? I can't see it... it looks like a shallow "go no where, accomplish nothing" experience without the progression system. It just gets really repetitive and derivative quickly. Run forward, mash the button. Die. Respawn and repeat.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 11-30-2017 at 19:16..
Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
134 - 11-30-2017, 15:38
I can understand grinding for a better gun or tank but I'm completely lost on people grinding for cosmetic ****.

"most goddamn ******y thing I've ever seen" - Richard Nixon

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
135 - 11-30-2017, 16:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosene31 View Post
Call me crazy, but I'm ok with stupid people paying a stupid tax.

https://kotaku.com/meet-the-19-year-...tra-1820854953
I am 100% not OK with that kid's story. I think it speaks volumes to the vulnerability it instills in gamers - especially young ones. I have 4 nephews and I could not believe that by the age of 2 they could navigate a smart phone/tablet to access their shows on youtube. Parents these days don't go out and buy PCs and consoles for their kids. Today's market is mobile devices. Before they've learned the value of a dollar, a child will have learned how easily they can spend it.

Even the kid in the article speaks to how conditioned he was. Spending hundreds of dollars wouldn't even give him a moment's pause.

I think we have the luxury of looking back on what we were exposed to when we grew up and the state the industry is in today. Like hellsfury and I describe; gamers today are educated into playing small, consumable, portioned out game mechanics. The idea that a game offers deep and content-rich experience is not something you'll see from a big publisher. Multiplayer games offer the most content, but ever since they put RPG elements in there, the 'purpose' or 'drive' to play has devolved into maxing out that grind. You almost can't have a game these days that doesn't directly offer content at an equal rate to mtx.

Even the term "Micro Transaction" is an industry term. We have no other language to describe it. Micro - as if to be some nominal amount. Blizzard offers card packs and loot boxes for small fees. But they also offer the bulk discount. There's nothing micro about a bundle of 50 HS packs or OW loot boxes. EA publishes a game: they'll offer standard and deluxe editions, EA Access, DLC Season Pass, in-game loot boxes.... before the game has even been released they're hoping to have captured $150-$200 from the average purchaser.

It's ****ed up to look at where we are now and see people on Reddit/YouTube/Twitch who view this as "normal" because they grew up on games in the last 10 years.

Zomnivore
Veteran4
Old
136 - 11-30-2017, 16:47
I can definitely say that when there's no upper limit on what you can spend on a game it can get out of hand.

One month you're like **** it I got the spare cash...but at the end of a year or two you've sunk so much money in a game and its definitely not worth it because YOU WILL NEVER have it all even though you've spent $500+ on one game.

I tried getting into card games but its the same ****. Except you might get back like some money if you work your ass selling cards and trading.

**** that.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
137 - 11-30-2017, 17:01
I'm not against including a system of progression in a game. Even for cosmetic stuff. It's when progression becomes the primary motivation to play, and not playing the game for fun. When a developer/publisher deliberately drags out and compounds this mechanic solely for maximizing their opportunity to monetize your time within the system . Not for the sake of increasing the fun factor or a proper "Pride of Accomplishment" inherent in playing a well designed game.

There are lot of games out there where it is pretty obvious that the progression system is only there for prolonging your time in a game and without it, there isn't much of a game to keep players playing.

It was ludicrous and difficult to fathom hearing the EA CEO (at the time) talking about exploiting a players invested time into their games for the sake of monetary gain by using the "Pay to reload your gun" analogy, yet here we are, with Loot Boxes and their even more insidious implications. They're like "Pay to maybe reload your gun, maybe shoot confetti instead".

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
138 - 11-30-2017, 18:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
I am 100% not OK with that kid's story. I think it speaks volumes to the vulnerability it instills in gamers - especially young ones. I have 4 nephews and I could not believe that by the age of 2 they could navigate a smart phone/tablet to access their shows on youtube. Parents these days don't go out and buy PCs and consoles for their kids. Today's market is mobile devices. Before they've learned the value of a dollar, a child will have learned how easily they can spend it.

Even the kid in the article speaks to how conditioned he was. Spending hundreds of dollars wouldn't even give him a moment's pause.

I think we have the luxury of looking back on what we were exposed to when we grew up and the state the industry is in today. Like hellsfury and I describe; gamers today are educated into playing small, consumable, portioned out game mechanics. The idea that a game offers deep and content-rich experience is not something you'll see from a big publisher. Multiplayer games offer the most content, but ever since they put RPG elements in there, the 'purpose' or 'drive' to play has devolved into maxing out that grind. You almost can't have a game these days that doesn't directly offer content at an equal rate to mtx.

Even the term "Micro Transaction" is an industry term. We have no other language to describe it. Micro - as if to be some nominal amount. Blizzard offers card packs and loot boxes for small fees. But they also offer the bulk discount. There's nothing micro about a bundle of 50 HS packs or OW loot boxes. EA publishes a game: they'll offer standard and deluxe editions, EA Access, DLC Season Pass, in-game loot boxes.... before the game has even been released they're hoping to have captured $150-$200 from the average purchaser.

It's ****ed up to look at where we are now and see people on Reddit/YouTube/Twitch who view this as "normal" because they grew up on games in the last 10 years.
Maybe parents should take responsibility for their kids? How do they even get the money? Why is that always someone else's job?

Maybe parents should notice a kid spending hundreds on mobile crap?

Flash
VeteranXX
Old
139 - 11-30-2017, 19:11
I miss tribes comp

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
140 - 11-30-2017, 19:25
i'm opposed to paying any $ for games/movies/tv shows/music/books/etc.

Page 7 of 11

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [got haggis] Star wars battlefront 2 micro transactions backfire

Social Website Bullshit