[T:V] The "i want the vertical disc launcher back" thread

Void|deadjawa

Veteran X
That thing looked badass. I'm pretty sure that only ones who were complaining were the "T1 cavemen" who sit and play StonehengePUB all day long.

So cmon, bring it back. New styling is fun :D

Void|deadjawa said:
That thing looked badass. I'm pretty sure that only ones who were complaining were the "T1 cavemen" who sit and play StonehengePUB all day long.

So cmon, bring it back. New styling is fun :D
We decided to change it soon after seeing it in action. When a disk misses you in Tribes it tends to be above or below you more than left or right of you. Not sure why that is, but the end result is that a vertical disk just looks like a blue diamond as it whips by, while a horizontal disk looks like a cool spinning plate of death from a Danny Divito movie.

Thrax Panda said:
We decided to change it soon after seeing it in action. When a disk misses you in Tribes it tends to be above or below you more than left or right of you. Not sure why that is, but the end result is that a vertical disk just looks like a blue diamond as it whips by, while a horizontal disk looks like a cool spinning plate of death from a Danny Divito movie.

You said this the first time, and I didn't understand it then, and I still don't understand it now. It wouldn't matter where the disc missed you, it would matter where you look more often when it misses you, doesn't it?

Now I know when I see missed discs the most often is when I'm on the ground looking up and either firing at someone, or watching someone fire at somebody else. So, in that case, yes a horizontal disc is better.

However, when there are more people playing the game (not sure how many you guys are testing with), I think a vertical disc would be cool too because people on the sides of you get to see the disc much better. You would see discs a lot more often when you were further away. Makes me think disc duels would look a lot cooler.

edit: missed discs not really the issue, just when you see disc shots in general. ;)

Last edited:
Thrax Panda said:

Ahh, makes sense...Since you tend to be looking up or down onto a disk rather than left to right of it (because your armor is a lot taller than it is wide), you get to see more of the disk if its horizontal.

Now another question, how do you stay on top of things if you are in at Sierra but the team is in Australia? Thats always baffled me. Do you frequently travel there? Do you have video conferences? The information wire has to be a lot larger than just emails or phone calls back and forth...

Last edited:
one thing that may be pointless to say is perhaps an option to say i want a vertical disc or a horizontal disc weapon thing i dunno ;)

sdest said:
one thing that may be pointless to say is perhaps an option to say i want a vertical disc or a horizontal disc weapon thing i dunno ;)
You know, thats not a bad idea. It'd be kinda cool to have customizable weapons. That way if you wanted to have little blue diamond vertical disks, you could.

Only problem is one might be "more visible" than the other and give one player an unfair advantage.

i dont see how it would be more visible...the size would be the same about and more than likely if you see the weapon you see the player...and firing the trails would be the same length so it would work out ?

sdest said:
i dont see how it would be more visible...the size would be the same about and more than likely if you see the weapon you see the player...and firing the trails would be the same length so it would work out ?

Well, if you think about it, your armor is a lot taller than it is wide, right? So, that means that more hits (and misses) are likely to be slightly below your head because people aim for the body. This means that most disks are going to be placed slightly below your head on average, which makes horizontal disks much more visible than verticle ones.

possible...but then think about the other aspects of it...with a vertical spinning disc...it would aim a bit different (if they make it "realisitc") the best time to hit would be while jetting up or down aiming high while the enemy is floating in air up or down...your aim should be higher more than anything ( or low) depending on the spin of the disc ...which is doubtful they will have their own physics, although that would be neat, but now i just seem to ramble to make what i say correct so i stop now ;)
edit: they should at least give a hand choice :)

Last edited:
Void|deadjawa said:
Well, if you think about it, your armor is a lot taller than it is wide, right? So, that means that more hits (and misses) are likely to be slightly below your head because people aim for the body. This means that most disks are going to be placed slightly below your head on average, which makes horizontal disks much more visible than verticle ones.

I often turn back to stare at incoming discs while I'm playing Tribes. :rolleyes:

The only visibility differences I can visualize are that horizontal discs are easier to see above and below, while vertical discs would be easier to see from the sides and from far away.

Does a vertical disc change your shot at all? I'm not sure, but I'd like to know that.

Last edited:
Its a disc launcher. The disc flies horizontally because that's the most natural aerodynamic orientation.

Think of a frisbee. How well do frisbees fly vertically?

Thought so.

Don't change the Stormhammer.

Back