[T:V] Sensors work, they've just been implemented unimaginitively

Although most of these ideas would be cool if implemented correctly, the most functional, tried-and-true sensor representation is probably an onscreen radar HUD that doesn't need a toggle like the CC, provides information on enemies within the sensor net, and can be zoomed in and out. Why use laser tripwires and magnatechnoultrapulse feature-creepwave detectors when we have pulse sensors and the good ol' IFF?

Last edited:
Darius75 said:
Why use laser tripwires and magnatechnoultrapulse feature-creepwave detectors when we have pulse sensors and the good ol' IFF?

Indeed.

Edit: BTW, serious question, if a guy says "no one uses sensors" would that make you think that he cheats (t1, in a pub)?

Last edited:
Shinigami said:
Indeed.

Edit: BTW, serious question, if a guy says "no one uses sensors" would that make you think that he cheats (t1, in a pub)?

no

and ditch the audio just get the direction hud on different edges of screen - ie counterstriek when sommeone is shooting at you..(remember cs is a popular/successful game)

SUMMARY: Don't want HERCs in the game, just some of those kick-ass HERC huds.
---

You know, the old sensor cluster from StarSiege would probably fit what you guys are discussing to a T. Have a look:

sshud.JPG

From the top, clockwise:

Sensor mode and range, energy along the right, team color in the lower left, and current speed//throttle setting on the upper left.

If I were to make this a Tribes HUD, I'd still have energy on the right as it is now, then mirror the gauge to the left side of the cluster and make that my armor status. I'd also remove the team color (not needed), and have a speedometer on the inside circumference on the left side. Perhaps the sensor circle itself could be enlarged, but I'd definitely want to keep the dark background for contrast and still keep the FOV lines.

I'd still want to keep the compass the way it is, with the large inward-pointing tick representing north relative to my facing. Waypoints, if in the game, could still work as they did in SS, with out-pointing ticks around the edge of the sensor circle.

Throw in the elevation arrorws on hostile sensor contacts that got mentioned by the devs somewhere in this forum, and you've got yourself a pretty good 2.5D HUD that doesn't eat up a bunch of screen real estate and still conveys a LOT of information.

Adding in a terrain overlay for the sensor circle would be optional, and probably not even necessary.

Darius75 said:
Although most of these ideas would be cool if implemented correctly, the most functional, tried-and-true sensor representation is probably an onscreen radar HUD that doesn't need a toggle like the CC, provides information on enemies within the sensor net, and can be zoomed in and out. Why use laser tripwires and magnatechnoultrapulse feature-creepwave detectors when we have pulse sensors and the good ol' IFF?

so true .... sometimes basic is best.

Njal Storm said:
sweet ya a tripwire would be tripped and a big holograph would go up in the air kinda like how T2 objectives are taken.....

have it display for like 5 seconds

or shoot a bunch of flares.........

or have it shoot flares and blind the enmy w/ a dose of whiteout.....

ok ok, ill stop know.......

Yes, please do stop, and by 'stop' I mean cease all posting about T:V in the future.

The mini-radar HUD is a good idea, I think you should be able to get a mini-camera HUD.

Go to the CC, pick a camera, then it in the corner of your screen is a small HUD with what is displayed in the camera's view. You can use another set of controls to move it around (numpad keys, directional keys, Shift+WASD, whatever). This would rock for defenders who can set up a camera to watch a hallway leading to their position, letting them know of anyone who's visible in the base.

I like the map overlay idea.

To me loading the command screen is just too annoying, and not really useful in most cases..

It would be really nice there was a translucent toggle-able map thing that pops up on your screen, something a la Diablo2.

Linking audio to in game objects and events is WIN. Instead of objecting to my single example, try thinking of ways in which it could be done that would be dynamic and new.

Well, I remember a year or so back there was a thread about linking audio cues into your health//energy bars. That would rule, IMO. Perhaps a single 'bip' sound every quarter-bar of energy. Or you could set up a sliding scale sound that would start out high as you jetted and get lower as your energy ran out. Might be annoying if you're using a blaster, though.

Halide's LowAmmo script does something similiar--it'll beep at you when you hit your defined low ammo percentage. I'd definitely like to see that in T:V.

An audio cue for when you get pinged by enemy sensors would be nice as well, and there's a script for that in T2 right now.

Other ideas:

A cue when you first pick up someone on your armor's visual sensors. You come over a hill, say, and you hear a 'ping-ping', telling you that there's two enemies within your line of sight. Not a constant ping, just a single one for a single person, every time they come into your armor's sensor range.

A better skiiing audio cue than T2's. As it is now, you get the 'whssst' sound when you're making a good ski and nothing when you're not. It would be nice if you could toggle it the other way around so that you get your cue when you're screwing up instead.

For vehicles: Definitely need a 'pull up you dumbass, you're about to hit the ground' altitude warning sound.

Flags: Different flag cue sounds for friendly and enemy flags. I know there's packs out there to fix that for T2, but I'd like it to be default for T:V.

C&H: It would be nice if the different objectives on a map would make different sounds when they were capped. Say the center objective goes 'boing', the west one 'pop', the east one 'ping', and so on. Doesn't have to be loud, either. Selectable by map author.

Shields: How about if shields made different tones depending on how much energy they had left when hit? Starts off low, goes to high as the energy drops, for example. Audible to the shielded person and anyone nearby--good for HoFs, as the LD would have a good idea of how badly the heavy is being beat on without having to actually look. Also would be handy for indoor combat against shielded heavies, as you could tell if you were actually hitting him hard enough to punch through.

If you still have the ability to give commands//waypoints to teammates, audio cues for those would be nice as well. T1 had this down pretty well ("Deploy sensor at waypoint!" and so on) and there's a script for T2 that gives you a 'beep' when a command shows up in your chathud. I wouldn't mind the T1 style voice ones, myself.

Not a cue, but T:V needs a whole buttload of voice-binds. Stuff like what I ended up recording for Legends--NME has a HOF, HOF is cleared, stuff like that that never showed up in the T1/T2 voicebind menus.

Perhaps a very, very faint deployable turret hum so that if you listen carefully, you can tell if there's one around the corner? Better yet: if there's more than one, you can hear the way the hums interact and determine number by the resultant pitch or something.

I'm sure there's more stuff that can be done with audio cues, but that's a start, neh? :)

Special said:
My preliminary thought is I don't like this idea. You are beginning to garner the mentality of making the learning curve easier for everybody. I don't like that. The best defenses in Tribes have the best awareness, no question about it. A team that is aware that they're being attacked from the left doesn't need to be told "BEING ATTACKED FROM LEFT." It'd actually get quite annoying.

Additionally how do you code something like this? How does the algorithm decide you're actually being attacked? What if they're just massing forces but attacking later? The game is so open-ended it would be very difficult to code.

An audible cue as to when major events happen is a step forward, however. cyclonite's "beep and icon" idea is a sound one and would have to be tested and balanced.

Defense would be much more attune to the game without necessarily learning how to be aware. I agree there, on the other hand, if this were command screen option only, you could further role division within defense and make someone a command screener pretty much the entire map, or a coodinator position, like there was an "option" for in t1, but never raelly fleshed out.

to the entire game would be useless audio data since a lot of people are on offense, or dont care since their work is independent. i HEAR a ho going towards base, but i'm flag ld, so i dont have to get that guy, or i'm hoing THEIR base so why do i care there are indcoming on left.

etc.

so, maybe fine tune this and add it to the command screen. I think command screen "upgrading" could be a HUGE thing within the tribes universe. makes it more "techno"-y could look cool, and is a way to reward thinking teams.

eierye said:
I like the map overlay idea.

To me loading the command screen is just too annoying, and not really useful in most cases..

It would be really nice there was a translucent toggle-able map thing that pops up on your screen, something a la Diablo2.

um no. command screen works as an idea. when you're looking at your PDA in real life, like in a REAL war you look at the screen, you dont look throughi it to the map.

in tribes, you could get away with command screen laziness, but chances are you were in awe of cappers that seemed to have their timing down perfectly. that's not a question of counting seconds from when their clearing ho left the base, that capper is dutifully watching his command screen.

Ambush_Bug[DTM] said:
SUMMARY: Don't want HERCs in the game, just some of those kick-ass HERC huds.
:(
I want hercs in the game. At least in single player. Don't think it would work out well in multiplayer. I want to try to take down a herc in Tribes powered armor. Maybe as a boss or something :shrug:

FalseMyrmidon said:
:(
I want hercs in the game. At least in single player. Don't think it would work out well in multiplayer. I want to try to take down a herc in Tribes powered armor. Maybe as a boss or something :shrug:

They've already debated doing this and decided not to.

The key to fluid gameplay is a simple design that allows complexity while not forcing it. Having sensors switch to this type of a role would be very confusing to new players, and add in alot of audio clutter. The function is already there to use sensors to spot incoming cappers via the cc, and good teams use it well as it is. There's nothing really wrong with them.

Here, here to non-progressive "Xenophobia."

ZProtoss said:
The key to fluid gameplay is a simple design that allows complexity while not forcing it. Having sensors switch to this type of a role would be very confusing to new players, and add in alot of audio clutter. The function is already there to use sensors to spot incoming cappers via the cc, and good teams use it well as it is. There's nothing really wrong with them.

I think it's more like here here to non-needed ideas which will complicate and make the game easier for no reason at all. If you can't argue the points on the merits rilke then don't argue at all. Throwing out blanket "omgz you dont like my idea YOU FEAR TEH CHANGE", is pretty retarded.

rilkean panther said:
Here, here to non-progressive "Xenophobia."

ZProtoss said:
I think it's more like here here to non-needed ideas which will complicate and make the game easier for no reason at all. If you can't argue the points on the merits rilke then don't argue at all. Throwing out blanket "omgz you dont like my idea YOU FEAR TEH CHANGE", is pretty retarded.

Perhaps if you would suspend disbelief, also a skill in the world of ideas, then you could participate constructively.

Back