[T3 Discuss] Should CG Bullets be like T1?

Thrax Panda said:
Rather than limit yourselves to T1 / T2, how about eliminating them from the discussion. What is the best non-tribes machinegun that you've ever seen, and why?

An interesting proposition, Thrax, and I will try to apply this maxim to any other posts I make.

That said, it's a toss-up be two different chain//machine-guns for me.

The first would be the original MP5 from Half-Life, the one with the 30-round clip (before the HD pack). Mostly because it fit the bill very well--had just enough spray-n-pray to it that you could have it out as your panic weapon, but it was also accurate enough that if you were good you could down someone with it very quickly. (this does not take into account the attached grenade launcher) The 30-round clip was a nice balance, though I don't know how that would fit into Tribes. (Spinup times?)

The second would be the assault rifle from System Shock 2. That thing was TIGHT. Granted, the heavy recoil made you have to pick your shots, but that was half the fun, as it forced you to become VERY accurate very quickly. Of course, holding down the trigger produced an incredible wall of lead, but at the cost of recoiling yourself into total confusion. I always used it as if I had a tri-burst trigger modded to it--poppoppop and a pause.

Void|deadjawa said:
T2 really wasnt a failure, except if you are a member of tribalwar dot com. I saw it the other day on best buy's best seller rack with some extremely good company.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Thrax say in a previous thread that it didn't make that much of a profit? Also hard to believe it was such a huge seller being that it was sold for about $15 six months after release.

Shinigami said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Thrax say in a previous thread that it didn't make that much of a profit? Also hard to believe it was such a huge seller being that it was sold for about $15 six months after release.

It all depends on your definition of "that much money". Compared to half-life, no, it sucked. Compared to Diakatana, it ruled.

If i remeber correctly i, someone said it made somewhere in the range of 2-3 million dollars profit a few months after launch (I think they were talking about this when sierra shut down dynamix). Any time you can make millions of dollars, thats not bad.

Last edited:
Thrax Panda said:
Rather than limit yourselves to T1 / T2, how about eliminating them from the discussion. What is the best non-tribes machinegun that you've ever seen, and why?

Serious Sam 2 had a wicked badass gattling type gun (UT2k3 has the minigun). The sound effects, rate of fire, best eva. That said, it would be so unbalanced in Tribes play I dare say it would be the only weapon ever used :p

Void|deadjawa said:
It all depends on your definition of "that much money". Compared to half-life, no, it sucked. Compared to Diakatana, it ruled.

If i remeber correctly i, someone said it made somewhere in the range of 2-3 million dollars profit a few months after launch (I think they were talking about this when sierra shut down dynamix). Any time you can make millions of dollars, thats not bad.

Daikatana? That game was a HUGE failure. BTW I said "that much of a profit," not "that much money." :p

Here's the quote...

Thrax Panda said:
I think about 450K world wide (which is good for a shooter, let alone an online only shooter) but only about 250K at full price (that's a total guess). If we made a profit it would be close. The back-end costs are tremendous for T2, which doesn't help much.

This one kicks ass :)

mk95_16.jpg

CG accuracy doesnt neccessarily have to be a matter of its cone of fire... Maybe it can bounce around the screen upwards from recoil like in RavenShield or CS... this could put the skill back into CG (trying to keep on target) without putting the randomness of t2 in..

Last edited:
How about we totally throw out the idea of a spinup, and make the weapon more like counterstrike.

As in... clips that run out and have to be reloaded in mid flight, and a recoil that would garuantee a learning curve. Make the gun have no spread, but make it have a fairly nasty recoil... making an up close kill with it really easy, but a far away kill would require good timing and skill with the weapon.

Fraggy Poo said:
How about we totally throw out the idea of a spinup, and make the weapon more like counterstrike.

As in... clips that run out and have to be reloaded in mid flight, and a recoil that would garuantee a learning curve. Make the gun have no spread, but make it have a fairly nasty recoil... making an up close kill with it really easy, but a far away kill would require good timing and skill with the weapon.

I don't like that idea.

If there actually is a CG in T:V it shouldn't be a wussy-ass one. It needs to have a stupidly fast firing rate and a gargantuan firing-cone at the same time. Basicly a spam weapon. Make it medium to heavy armor weapon and give e'm a couple hundred rounds. Still does the same job it does in T1, but now in a different role.

Slasherdawg said:
If there actually is a CG in T:V it shouldn't be a wussy-ass one. It needs to have a stupidly fast firing rate and a gargantuan firing-cone at the same time. Basicly a spam weapon. Make it medium to heavy armor weapon and give e'm a couple hundred rounds. Still does the same job it does in T1, but now in a different role.

Bah. The only reason one is needed much at all is for ld to shoot cappers outta the air.

Thrax you want to hear about the best machinegun/cg from a non-tribes game?

Play UT. Their cg has 2 firing modes and is perfect for that type of gameplay. Now why the hell can't we have a cool gun like that?(2 firing modes)

Slasherdawg said:
Thrax you want to hear about the best machinegun/cg from a non-tribes game?

Play UT. Their cg has 2 firing modes and is perfect for that type of gameplay. Now why the hell can't we have a cool gun like that?(2 firing modes)

Because...it...isn't....UT?

Back