[CGM] Bad Reflections

Sir Lucius

Veteran XX
In one of the screenshots in the cgm article it shows a base floating over water. The water looks good and all, but it looks like it's reflecting all wrong. What's up with that? Is that a bug in the unreal warfare engine, or does the water just use an enviorment map?

I don't think it's an angle of perspective problem, but I do know it looks wrong. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sir Lucius said:
In one of the screenshots in the cgm article it shows a base floating over water. The water looks good and all, but it looks like it's reflecting all wrong. What's up with that? Is that a bug in the unreal warfare engine, or does the water just use an enviorment map?

I don't think it's an angle of perspective problem, but I do know it looks wrong. Thoughts?
It's wrong. The water that comes with the engine is not quite what we wanted, so this is placeholder water with a single pre-computed reflection that doesn't change no mater where you stand. Just ignore it.

yeah I had noticed the water was munted.. but when I had i was locked out of the house and couldn't post to ask. Thanks for that, i had forgotten :)

when looking at water.....check out the water in Ashseron's Call 2 and Super Mario Sunshine (and now, Half Life 2, heh)...those games have some of the best water reflection's I've seen.

Got Haggis? said:
when looking at water.....check out the water in Ashseron's Call 2 and Super Mario Sunshine (and now, Half Life 2, heh)...those games have some of the best water reflection's I've seen.

It looks great in Everquest 2 as well. Reflections are totally dynamic (ie you can see yourself). However it's a frame rate killer. The scene has to be rendered a few times from different perspectives to pull it off for each frame.

yeah it is a framerate killer....i think they do most of it with....stencils...is that right?

anyway, some other things i would love T:V to have would be shoreline code....and the ability (like asheron's call 2) to have the water "break" at the shoreline....

realistic water kicks so much ass..even if it's mostly unrelated to gameplay.

Later on someone added a feature to torque that changed the color of the water at the shore lines. You know when water gets shallower it's color changes (you can see more of the bottom etc). It's a neat effect.

Yogi said:
The junkyard did. I'm suprised they haven't gotten a letter yet.
They get the anti-letter. We simply won't support them in any way. No visits, no notice of new material, no interviews. Lock out.

Thrax Panda said:
They get the anti-letter. We simply won't support them in any way. No visits, no notice of new material, no interviews. Lock out.

Quick edit/delete the post.. you can't be seen to even know of their existance.

Got Haggis? said:
yeah it is a framerate killer....i think they do most of it with....stencils...is that right?

anyway, some other things i would love T:V to have would be shoreline code....and the ability (like asheron's call 2) to have the water "break" at the shoreline....

realistic water kicks so much ass..even if it's mostly unrelated to gameplay.

Shaders. All the major game effects in the newer games are based around that cool technology implemented in GF3 cards called shaders. HL2 is full of em, as well as Doom III and EQ2. Basically a shader is a programable effect interpreted and displayed by the GPU. Shaders allow effects that can't be done without A) millions of polys or B) a huge load on the CPU.

Back