[T:V] Sensors work, they've just been implemented unimaginitively

something that i thought of while reading one of ambush_bug's posts.. instead of beeps every quarter of energy, what about a sound that scales in volume from silence, to something roughly twice as loud as the disc idle sound.. in addition, possibly allow setting the min and max volume, incidentally causing the ability to reverse the direction of the scaling - getting quieter as you run out of energy. only you able to hear it, toggleable if its annoying.. justification: its the sound of the armor recharging the energy cell or something

Those who do not like the idea of rilks idea have neverplayed HoF competitively. Keeeerist, try being HoF on Reliquary, Obfuscation, Simoom, Raindance, Rollercoaster, etc. for a while. Firstly, you can not see in all 360 degrees at once, especially if you have LO clustering the flag, and secondly your range of vision is severely impaired by hills, base, etc. I can tell you that I was getting dizzy on RD after rotating 180 degrees in place for 20 minutes.

I like the idea, but implementation would be difficult as you would be constantly bombarded with messages and sounds. I like the trip wire/sensor idea to inform you when/where someone has tripped the sensor, but honestly, you do not need one to tell you your gens are down. Any situationally aware player knows when their gens go down, and if they are being attacked, they will be destroyed before you hear the word "attacked/down".

It would be nice if each player could link to as many, or little, sensors as they like and only receive information from these sensors.

Good idea, but balance and implementation would be difficult.

One of the problems I see with the analysis of this idea is that it has been restricted mostly to function and not fashion. How might this idea be implemented to spruce up the art of the game, which may or may not affect gameplay?

For example, T2 offered an artistic improvement to when generators were destroyed by offering alarm lighting. For those of you who never played, how "impulse lighting" in Star Trek turned on during certain power situations, so did Tribes 2 base lighting when generators were destroyed. It added an new artistic dynamic to the tribes series, which was both functional and atmospheric. Win/win.

How can audio be adapted as such? What would be more fun, more immersive, more engaging about an audio environment in a Tribes context?

That's not true at all. I'd say most who don't like the idea play for teams (Or have played for teams), that have LD call out incoming cappers for the hof/etc. By using the CC or simply seeing cappers themselves.

KtM said:
Those who do not like the idea of rilks idea have neverplayed HoF competitively. Keeeerist, try being HoF on Reliquary, Obfuscation, Simoom, Raindance, Rollercoaster, etc. for a while. Firstly, you can not see in all 360 degrees at once, especially if you have LO clustering the flag, and secondly your range of vision is severely impaired by hills, base, etc. I can tell you that I was getting dizzy on RD after rotating 180 degrees in place for 20 minutes.

One really neat script that was rescently released in T2 (made by Borlak of RT I believe) has some audio announcements when you destroy specific things. INVs, portable INVs, MPBs, all sorts of vehicles. It will also have an audio announcement when your repairing INVs, turrets, generators, Vpads, ect. Its dosent really take away any skill/learning curve but it seems pretty helpfull so far (we took out alot of the redundant stuff) letting a larger team stay on one teamspeak channel instead of 2. It basically takes care of some of the important but repetitive things your guys would have to communicate about freeing up teamspeak,RW, ect. for more important calls that need to be made.

I dont like the idea about having a sound sent out when your gens are destroyed....

I mean, just think about that, your gens are down, yet the system tells you that they are down. To me, if the gens go down, it should be able to tell you. Its like saying "hey, im dead!" It just doesnt work.

Besides, we already have audio letting us know our gens are down, how many times do you get spammed with that "Repair our gens" crap?!

dunce_boy said:
I dont like the idea about having a sound sent out when your gens are destroyed....

I mean, just think about that, your gens are down, yet the system tells you that they are down. To me, if the gens go down, it should be able to tell you. Its like saying "hey, im dead!" It just doesnt work.

Besides, we already have audio letting us know our gens are down, how many times do you get spammed with that "Repair our gens" crap?!

Im not talking about pubs. For matchplay instead of saying on TS or wasting time putting in "enemy gen destroyed" or "repair our gen" the script automatically tells you. Its a time saving feature that frees up teamspeak and time to do more important things.

dunce_boy said:
When the gens are down your command screen still works right? Your command screen tells you when the gens are down. So I dont see why some kind of visual or voice reminder would hurt. It would just save you the extra step of flipping your command screen on and off.

Void|deadjawa said:
When the gens are down your command screen still works right? Your command screen tells you when the gens are down. So I dont see why some kind of visual or voice reminder would hurt. It would just save you the extra step of flipping your command screen on and off.

you're right...... the command screen shouldnt work either!!!!

Back