US says Wikileaks could 'threaten national security'

DDS

Veteran XV
The US has condemned as "irresponsible" the leak of 90,000 classified military records, saying their publication could threaten national security.

Kabul War Diary

This must be the biggest leak ever.

searched for wiki and afghan war diary. I believe this is different to the existing thread on wikileaks

10 March 2008, children killed in botched US forces night raid on compound in Paktika province aimed at killing al-Qaeda commander Abu Laith al-Libi, who was mistakenly believed to be hiding there. Five American rockets destroyed the compound, followed by a helicopter-borne assault by US special forces: "Seven Afghan civilians (children) killed in action. During initial questioning, it was assessed that the children were not allowed out of the building, due to UIMs presence within the compound. The assault force was able to uncover one child from the rubble."

21 March 2007, deaf man shot in Paktika province: "Afghan local ran at the sight of the approaching US forces. US forces utilised the escalation of force doctrine and shouted to stop, fired warning shots and then fired to wound. The civilian was hit in the ankle and treated by medics on scene. It was determined through discussions with local elders that the man was a deaf mute who could not hear warnings and ran out of fear and confusion."

if a crazy deaf dude getting shot in the ankle is one of the worst things that's happened over there then i'd say we're doing a pretty good job

So wikileaks makes public breaches of the Geneva convention, and the pentagon responds that America is at great risk because of it.

ok.

if you click the link, you can read pretty much any report from the armed forces regarding the war in Afghanistan.

The thing I never realised is that troops are regularly racking up 50+ kills during engagements. The way the media portray it is that there are 'pockets' of >10 Taliban.

I was just talking to some americans in IRC about this actually

the impression I got was that it's being talked up by the BBC waaaaaaay more than it is by the US media

also get fucked ender, you herpes terrorist

obama's about to hit his kill switch.

He sure as fuck better not. That fucker is already on my shitlist for playing ball. He campaigned as a liberal, but his administration has been centrist, maybe even right of center. I'm getting more disappointed in him as time goes by.

What better place to perform live fire testing on new military weapons than Afghanistan?

The end goal might be to secure mineral rights for large corporations, that's a bit sketchy though.

Does anyone really believe that we're there to "stop terrorism"?

Democrats today are what Republicans were yesterday. The lines have shifted so much nothing is what it should be.

On one hand, I understand why the documents would be classified and should remain so. The military is (understandably) very protective of its information -- really any information. Once it's "public" it can then be used by the enemy.

On the other hand, I don't have a problem with wanting to document the tragedy of war. It happens. It's real. We have to face that and own up to it.

On somebody else's hand, I don't care for the presentation of this particular work. It seems aimed at painting our soldiers as soulless killing machines. That's equally as irresponsible as publishing classified information, or covering up government mistakes. The transparency is enough. Don't put your own spin on it.

I was just talking to some americans in IRC about this actually

the impression I got was that it's being talked up by the BBC waaaaaaay more than it is by the US media

also get fucked ender, you herpes terrorist

Yeah, I think this was released yesterday so I was expecting the OFN

if only the american forces had the training and accuracy of the Taliban/insurgents... i mean they seem to never miss targets or hit civilians while firing blindly... or they never miss with an RPG and blow up some poor bastards house.

plus they include the size and equipment used by the forces... as well as the routes they take. yah, that's definitely not a threat to nato troops over there.

Back