[Internet] FCC Rules Against Net Neutrality by Bughead - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Internet] FCC Rules Against Net Neutrality
Page 3 of 15
Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
41 - 04-24-2014, 10:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztir View Post

even in alberta, no matter what isp you use(even ****ty, non telus/shaw isps), they all use telus' network and lease bandwidth from them. when telus decides to start charging you .5c extra for every kb of youtube traffic you consume, and you're on shaw, guess whos paying for something you already pay for
u can thank the crtc and Canadian govt for that.

they've been too concerned with protecting precious Canadians eyes and ears and protecting Canadian content that the barrier to entry is way too high now. we're extra ****ed because of our geography and weather but that's another bag of lemons. are we even worth the time of an american company even if they could come play with us? I dunno. I would hope so but I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
42 - 04-24-2014, 10:39
well wasnt it verizon that was trying to come to canada, but the ISPs banded together to put this campaign about taking canadian jobs or something

i love the retaliatory commercials from the gov that basically said bell/rogers/telus are greedy ****ers and we pay the highest rates in the developed world and competition would be awesome

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
43 - 04-24-2014, 10:52
I don't know about Canada, but here in the US we are ****ed now that Comcast has gobbled up Time Warner.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
44 - 04-24-2014, 10:53
Quote:
well wasnt it verizon that was trying to come to canada, but the ISPs banded together to put this campaign about taking canadian jobs or something

i love the retaliatory commercials from the gov that basically said bell/rogers/telus are greedy ****ers and we pay the highest rates in the developed world and competition would be awesome
that was over cellular **** but yes.

this issue wasn't about blocking verizon from coming in. it was about blocking them from coming in and benefiting from the govt regulations and advantages put in place to help a smaller canadian providers. bell and mobilicity play by different rules. should verizon, an american company many times larger than bell, be able to come in and benefit by regulations set in place to help smaller canadian companies?

it's not a simple question...on one hand we need american companies in here...on the other hand, shouldn't the playing field be level? does verizon really need a helping hand at our expense?

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
45 - 04-24-2014, 10:54
i almost think its worse in canada

at least you have 2-3 providers in most areas

in my entire 255,541 square mile province there is 1 that provides the entire backbone. every other isp just leases that backbone from them

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
46 - 04-24-2014, 10:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
that was over cellular **** but yes.

this issue wasn't about blocking verizon from coming in. it was about blocking them from coming in and benefiting from the govt regulations and advantages put in place to help a smaller canadian providers. bell and mobilicity play by different rules. should verizon, an american company many times larger than bell, be able to come in and benefit by regulations set in place to help smaller canadian companies?

it's not a simple question...on one hand we need american companies in here...on the other hand, shouldn't the playing field be level? does verizon really need a helping hand at our expense?
not my problem, just like how paying for something i'm already getting twice is not their problem

all i care about is a lower cell phone bill

this argument goes both ways brah, you can't have your cake and eat it too

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
47 - 04-24-2014, 10:59
so why isnt time warner/comcast subject to anti trust rules like microsoft was?

****in

arrrrrrrhhuuuuuuuu

MadHatSam
VeteranX
Old
48 - 04-24-2014, 11:09
Government exists to protect coporate interests, haven't you read the constitution?

EyeZ
VeteranX
Old
49 - 04-24-2014, 11:11
The way I understand net neutrality is via example:

paying for electrical service to your home, you should be able to use the power wherever you want to within your property. however now that there has been a ruling in favor of the power companies ability to specifically limit certain electrical currents that reach your home, they can, lets say charge you an extra $10 if you want power to your bathroom.

Oh you enjoy fresh fruits even after you have bought them, how about another extra $15 for power to your kitchen; Front room and hallway are included in the package deal...

I feel bad for people who use services like Xbox live. Not only do you have to pay for internet, but you also gotta pay for the ability to play your games online on said internet. What happens if comcast decides XboxL should be more because of the large files capable of being transferred w/ bandwidth (downloading digital games such as titanfall ect). If they so choose, they can charge you extra to use XboxL or block the content.

Pay to pay to pay to play.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 04-24-2014, 11:13
if you look at how much our cable bills are and compare to internet/cell service...tbh the notion of paying less seems impossible. people are way too willing to pay way much more.

this is why i'm not panicking over net neutrality rulings. i think we're destined to pay more for internet no matter what.

ergo my thinking google is being ****ed more than i am.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
51 - 04-24-2014, 11:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeZ View Post
If they so choose, they can charge you extra to use XboxL or block the content.
that's possible...but ask these questions:
1) is that in their interest?
2) are people willing to pay extra for xbl?

if people aren't willing to pay extra for xbl, in your example, then wouldn't the isp turn around to ms and say "oh hai u pay extra now or we slow your **** down"

at some point we have to surrender to the fact that if a lot of people are willing to pay more for something, we all have to. we're talking simple economics here. eventually we hit the limit and demand slows.

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
52 - 04-24-2014, 11:22
people are only willing to pay that much BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES. thats what a monopoly is

what are you supposed to do, not have a cell phone and internet?

Veniggs
VeteranXV
Old
53 - 04-24-2014, 11:29
if we publicly skin and eat the fcc chairman we prolly gonna keep net neutrality

EyeZ
VeteranX
Old
54 - 04-24-2014, 11:29
people are willing to pay $160 for a limited edition CoD:ghost bundle package... Doesn't mean all fps games should be $160 bucks.

I suppose the only things we can do at this point is watch as the internet borders begin to emerge, and whether or not there is even a need for ISP's to compete w/ each other, or band together and charge a ludicrous amount because there is nowhere else you can get internet.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
55 - 04-24-2014, 11:40
google fiber is coming to austin this year

i guess i dont really care about this anymore

because i trust google to do the right thing

KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
56 - 04-24-2014, 11:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

Google completes its big stock split, but critics say new shares screw investors | The Verge

do no evil besides fuk all ur investors etc.

gl w/ that

EyeZ
VeteranX
Old
57 - 04-24-2014, 11:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post

Portland is on the voting block for this as well, Im really hoping it goes thru (since before any of this NN ****e was relevant).

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
58 - 04-24-2014, 11:46
Quote:
people are only willing to pay that much BECAUSE THERE ARE NO ALTERNATIVES. thats what a monopoly is

what are you supposed to do, not have a cell phone and internet?
1) we have monopolies because govt regulates it. is more govt interference the response to govt interference?
2) yes, having a cell or internet is a choice
3) whether or not you want to call it a "want" or a "need" is moot; i need food and water and still pay for it. i need shelter; i pay for that. i need medication; i pay for that too. strange that they all reflect market forces too...except water i guess?

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
59 - 04-24-2014, 11:48
investors? **** em
making money for nothing

dismantle capitalism or something

KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
60 - 04-24-2014, 11:49
go no evil thing go out window long ago

china deal

****ing investors over multiple times etc etc.

purchase of Motorola and subsequent trashing of motorola

Page 3 of 15

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Internet] FCC Rules Against Net Neutrality

Social Website Bullshit