T:V Marketing

KillerONE

Veteran X
Obviously it will be important to get the T:V name out, and so far I think it's going good. Obviously there's not a whole lot to talk about. And imo, it's best to really talk about a game when you can "test" it out. With a Demo or Beta.

I just brought up this topic, because if you go to www.msn.com and look about halfway down under "MSN Broadband Highlights" you'll see "Download Unreal Tournament 2004". Seems to me that's puttin it right dab in the middle where a kabillion people are gonna see.

Now, it's really only good if people "know" about UT2K4. So they see "Download UT2K4" and go "Oh snap! I read about this game.. I'm gonna get it right now!".

So getting T:V out for download and name exposure is good. But somehow we really gotta convince people that T:V rocks and is worth a try. (as if I'm breaking major ground here.. I know)

Just hoping when I say, "Tribes" people don't go.. "Oh, is that some civ or rts game?"

Remember kiddies:

Colosus said:
This Thursday night at 9pm EST, WOFN is proud to bring you an interview with the Sierra development team of Tribes: Vengeance. Alchemist will be interviewing Michael 'Scr8pin' Cowan, Chris 'Thrax' Mahnken and Adam 'Menzo' Kahn.

The Tribes community can finally be introduced properly to Michael Cowan and find out his plans for the marketing of Tribes: Vengeance. We also hope for some juicy bits of information about the game from Thrax.

Tune in on Thursday (February 19th) at 9pm EST. Connection info can be found in #wofn or on the WOFN site.

Also along with that you should check out this thread. To submit questions for said interview.

Agree. T:V is low in terms of exposure compared to other games.

It's like we're on the short end of the stick.

People say things like UT2K4 ripped off vehicles from Halo, inferring Halo was the first to have vehicles. No, Tribes had vehicles first.

Gaming sites ignored the recent press announcement. It wasn't until I ragged on Blues and FS that anything was posted. And they are FPS sites. Blues finally came around, but daymn.

It's gonna be hard to get the spotlight from UT2K4 at the conferance in March. UT2K4 is scheduled to come out March16h. E3 is the key, release something to the fans they can play. Not another movie, or screen shots like Valve did with HL2.

Maybe if they released a single player demo before release, it would help.

Another problem is that T:V is bound to come out around the same time as Half-Life 2. Both are looking like Q4 2004. That can't help either.

Phaseshift said:
Maybe if they released a single player demo before release, it would help.

Another problem is that T:V is bound to come out around the same time as Half-Life 2. Both are looking like Q4 2004. That can't help either.

Yeah personally I think Valve did that shit on pourpose. They knew T:V was going to be a thorn in their side, and beside having some tech issues decided that instead of releasing before T:V, where the problem they ran into was after T:V was released it was possible that people would lose interest in HL2. They figure lets release at the same time, pull for Q4 christmas sales, and they end up in DIRECT competition with T:V having their release time as close as possible to T:V, either before or after.

As much as I hate to hear it/believe it, Theta is right. There's no way T:V is gonna outsell HL2.

If T:V does really well, I could "maybe" seeing T:V2 start to compete.

But there hasn't been a successful enough Tribes title to create a large fanbase. Hopefully T:V will be the START of a great Tribes franchise. :)

Theta said:
I doubt that Valve is worried about T:V. No matter what, more people will buy HL2 than T:V. ves :|

yeah, but then they'll get home and realise they just spent $50 for an Adobe Premiere movie and some photoshop pictures, be pissed, return it, and buy an actual game.

But I'm not going into my rant here on how I dislike Valve, don't think they have any talent, and believe they are way too overhyped. :)

KillerONE said:
As much as I hate to hear it/believe it, Theta is right. There's no way T:V is gonna outsell HL2.

If T:V does really well, I could "maybe" seeing T:V2 start to compete.

But there hasn't been a successful enough Tribes title to create a large fanbase. Hopefully T:V will be the START of a great Tribes franchise. :)

Have hope in the vision man.... Don't crap on my dreams.

HL isn't popular, CS is. Without CS there is no HL sales. So T:V has a shot if the next CS isn't released around the same time.

Also, support Scr8pin, it's his job to make sure that people know about, and are interested in, picking up Tribes: Vengeance instead of Half Life 2. If he does his job well, than Vengeance CAN compete in the sales market.

Unfortunately, Scr8pin DOES have to work harder than the Half Life 2 marketting guy, becuase of how hyped up Valve is. VGD!

ZOD said:
HL isn't popular, CS is. Without CS there is no HL sales. So T:V has a shot if the next CS isn't released around the same time.

Half Life had a HUGE number of sales.. It's single player was a first of it's kind. CS came long after HL was already in just about everyone's hands. All those SP copies of HL became what we know of HL today, which is HL Online - CS.

We don't have a Tribes title that EVERYONE has. T:V needs to be that title.

KillerONE said:
Half Life had a HUGE number of sales.. It's single player was a first of it's kind. CS came long after HL was already in just about everyone's hands. All those SP copies of HL became what we know of HL today, which is HL Online - CS.

We don't have a Tribes title that EVERYONE has. T:V needs to be that title.

Never happen. T:V can only hope to compete with online playerbase. There is no way it's single player will stand a chance against DOOM.

I am talking strictly online playerbase, I could care less, as others what the single player turns out to be.

ZOD said:
Never happen. T:V can only hope to compete with online playerbase. There is no way it's single player will stand a chance against DOOM.

I am talking strictly online playerbase, I could care less, as others what the single player turns out to be.

So, do you NOT think there was a connection to the widely popular/sold Half Life SP, that spawned the most widely played online title, CS?

evolvo- Classic/Rev/Mechina is a "free" download as well. But people can't play it without first buying Tribes 2. And since noone bought Tribes 2 (compared to HL) you don't see the "free" stuff being popular.

T2 had enough hype...and then...well u know what happend. By the way HL had no hype whatsoever when it cameout it was mostly word of mouth untill "Big" zines took notice.

Back