Please do not let T:V be a UT2K4 mod..

[57th]cneal said:

had to quote that :D

that's nearly 40 licensed games thus far (that are known).

NoGodForMe said:
Tribes had vehicles first, then Halo comes along and people say Halo had them first. Yeah, right.

ironically, many tribes fans dont want to acknowledge tribes' own innovations in terms of vehicles.

we cant have it both ways, dissing tribes with vehicles and then whining when other games follow tribes' lead.

Last edited:
Falhawk: I dunno, I may only have seen videos and screenshots and dev team yammering like the rest of you, but I have seen very few unsettling parallels between UT2K4 and T:V to date.

Besides the obvious fact that the Tribesmen have jetpacks whereas the Unreal grunts don't, the gameplay appears to be pretty much a dead ringer for a cleaned-up version of T1. The rocket pod seems to be pretty well balanced, with no sign of the bigger-gun-wins weapon progression of UT and similarly paced games. The maps seem very faithful to the T1 style with the added bonus of more trees (super yay!), and I highly doubt that the Buggy will prove anywhere near as ludicrously tough to kill as the MPB.

Also, I believe it is way, way, WAY too early to make the judgment call that "T:V = UT2K4 w/jetpacks!", considering as of yet the only movies we've seen are not of flag capping, of body blocking, of HO runs and other shit that really matters, but of random dev team members skiing and dueling in various pretty environments. Strictly speaking, we haven't seen any actual "game" play yet in terms of accomplishing gametype goals, performing familiar tasks save shooting the shit out of each other.
I for one will reserve my judgment for when I see with my own eyes how CTF/Ball/etc. actually behaves.

Last edited:
[57th]cneal said:
uct_dukeforever.gif
:huh:

it's still in development?

these comparisons are retarded. I'm already bored of UT2k4, it lacks anything of interest. Not only are weapons and vehicles approached differantly - ie, they're either balanced or are slightly underpowered, but ask any tribes player what makes tribes TRIBES, and its skiing. Without skiing, it's absolutely nothing like Tribes.

mixolydian said:
Engine is not the same but completely different. Ask any of the devs.

don't say stupid stuff, that's like asking a car salesman, if his car is better then the on from a diff car salesman.

as for falhawk, i dont think he's doubting TV and irational, but just doesnt wan to see his dream ruined so better be safe and make sure then sorry once it comes out.

Why do threads like this keep coming back to haunt me?

1. UT2kX is becoming more like Tribes, not the other way around.
2. It's the Vengeance Engine. Just like Half-Life started out as the Quake engine, we started with Unreal. We've had four years of divergent development (two for us, two for the UT team).
3. I really don't care if we're like some other games out there, I care if we have a fun game. It's not like BF, Halo, UT, Etc.. didn't all copy large chunks of Tribes to get where they are (along with just about any other multi-player FPS). Just like Tribes was completely guilty of copying a bunch of stuff from Quake and the other games that went in front of it.

LoVer said:
Actually, nothing but LoVe Fal. Thing is I have to whore. I've been playing t1 and t2 entirely too long to have such a low rating in this forum. I want to be able to bitch and have Marweas or whoever took over his catering job wipe my tears away just like the others. :)
Titles are based on length of membership, not post count.

i.e: Veterans have been here 1 year, Vet^2's have been here 2 years, etc.

(this should hopefully reduce post-spamming)

NoGodForMe said:
All these other games need is the Jetpack, and the rip off will be complete.

UT2K4 has ripped off so many things from other mods and games.
Link gun to take nodes and repair turrets is a rip off of the repair pack.
The little spider mines that chase people is a rip off from the Chaos mod for UT with the Proxy Mines.
Tribes had vehicles first, then Halo comes along and people say Halo had them first. Yeah, right.
please, please tell me you're joking.

I can't really play most online games anymore because the DSL connection at my location is horrible... I get upwards of 200-300 ms latency, so I stick to FFXI :/

But from the little time that I did play UT2k3, I found myself trying to ski down the hills, only to do a crappy double jump, heh :)

random said:
Titles are based on length of membership, not post count.

i.e: Veterans have been here 1 year, Vet^2's have been here 2 years, etc.

(this should hopefully reduce post-spamming)

Rofl, see I'm actually more noob on these forums than I had thought. Thanks for info.

I thought Duke Nukem was out before Quake? If so, shouldn't it be that everything from tribes came from D N?

Edit: BTW, not at all trying to say you're wrong, I'm right (thought I could be wrong too). Just that I feel that credit is deserved to the one deserving the credit. Quake had been given too much credit IMO and IMO because it just happens to be the #1 engine used in that one game school.

Last edited:
[57th]cneal said:
I thought Duke Nukem was out before Quake? If so, shouldn't it be that everything from tribes came from D N?

Edit: BTW, not at all trying to say you're wrong, I'm right (thought I could be wrong too). Just that I feel that credit is deserved to the one deserving the credit. Quake had been given too much credit IMO and IMO because it just happens to be the #1 engine used in that one game school.

Quake was the first poly based major FPS. DN3D was like the top of the line Sprite based 2.5 D engine.

Thrax Panda said:
Why do threads like this keep coming back to haunt me?
Seriously Thrax. You really need to make a stickied FAQ (on this forum) that contains the answers to the questions you have answered 2,000 times before.
Then we can just point people to the faq and move on to the more interesting debates and questions instead of constantly wasting your time with this sort of thing.

After everything that has been said, posted and writtern about T:V, i don't understand how you could think it will be anything like UT

mixolydian said:
Engine is not the same but completely different. Ask any of the devs.

Yeah, completely.

Thrax Panda said:
2. It's the Vengeance Engine. Just like Half-Life started out as the Quake engine, we started with Unreal. We've had four years of divergent development (two for us, two for the UT team).

Could you introduced us in these changes? What did you CHANGED in UT2003 engine (CHANGED, not what you ADDED)? Please, technically, I'm really interested in something more than "we have modified our netcode".

Er, I guess what I meant in this thread is that I want game mags etc to stop comparing T:V to UT but rather compare UT to Tribes.

Back