Onslaught-style gametype fits the bill for a "large" gametype.

Zoolooman said:
Fine. Go complain in General Discussion about such things. They are off-topic. I want to discuss Tribes here in Tribes Talk. Do you have something else to say about an Onslaught oriented gametype?

What do you think of the round structure - link structure bit I described earlier?

i always liked the idea, and pray they try something along these lines. seriously, must run off to do errands. go back and look at all my posts on this forum ovetr the past year... for my thoughts about "onslaught" gametypes :)

but please understand my point about the CONTEXT of the discussion as relating to the actual SUBSTANCE of the discussion. there IS an irony. i WILL make side-comments about Tribes Talk when it becomes inflamatory. no, i wont complain in GD cuz frankly... im not here because of GD and folks on THIS forum need to be respectful that this place needs to be less like GD, less clique oriented, less inflamatory... and live up to the mature, smart people that exist around tribes. call me names, say im slandering tribalwar... but the truth is we all want this place to be what Colosus originally intended. must i link to threads to show evidence of the contrary? i dont think so.

how does it relate?

because i think your GOOD damn points about this style of gameplay in fact hasn't been fully appreciated and allowed on this forum (i mentioned initially an "irony" which has everything to do with both the subject of the thread and the context of the thread).

perhaps more "vets" will engage...

Last edited:
I really have nothing to argue. I like this idea, and want to see some form of it in t:v. That is all. If you want any specific opinions, then by all means, ask.

Cea said:
All this is imo :)
Well it is probably mostly the map, but i would disagree that the concept is sound.

How many true, balanced and successful game types punish the the punished, DM your punishment is death (yes i know, lose weapons and all that but that sorta comes with death any way doesn't it?), they don't further punish you, not like you now run slower or anything.
CTF, your punishment is they get an extra point, this is the same with what ever the ball game that comes with ut2003/4 is called.
Assault its simply time, same with siege.

Not necessarily. In CTF, the punished are certainly punished more, and deservedly so. Being punished in CTF isn't just out-capping your opponent. It's decimating their base, their players, etc.. Now, the trick is to allow the punished to get back into the game. The couple of times I played Onslaught, this was most definitely not really a possibility. If one team takes control of the game, it's over. Invariably, one team gets control of all but the last node, and at that point, the game is over. Since you can't attack and destroy nodes that you are not linked to, you have to focus on that one node that protects your base. So, essentially, you have 16 people all trying to defend a single node.. which is fine, but one side has a huge advantage, and the other side doesn't.

So, how do you balance it? Well, two possibilities come to mind.. don't allow players to automatically spawn at captured nodes. I think this was a huge mistake, because players find themselves immediately back in the game, and in a good spot, no less. Force players to do a little travelling. Don't allow them to transport immediately from their base to any node, but only from one node to another node. An alternative is to allow teams to destroy any node that the opponent owns, but perhaps not allow them to capture it unless they are linked. In that approach, you could allow a team to cut off the opposing team's supplies, and their link to the node you are protecting. It adds a little more diversity, I think. What it also does, is it spreads the game out a little.

I like the idea of assets, but I think you're right that they go a little overboard in Onslaught, and it certainly unbalances the game. On the other hand, a team that controls all the nodes but a single one.. well, they should be able to win the game. There's a fine line between balance, and unbalance. If you give the winning team too much advantage, the game is over before you're even a minute into it, because that single extra node will be the difference. If you don't give the winning team enough advantage, the game is a perpetual stalemate, because while you might control all but that last node.. you can never gain full control over it, and even in the short time you do, you never get a chance to hurt their core.

I think if T:V had a game similar to what Thrax suggested for T2, it would do quite well. UT handles movement from one location to another with transportation.. I don't like that. There's no real skill involved. A bit of management, sure, but that's all. In T:V, however, you have skiing. It makes things far more skill oriented, I believe, because players who excel at skiing will obviously get to their destination faster than players who don't. Even on larger maps, the game will have an inherent quickness to it, because of skiing, and balanced vehicles. If they can balance out the advantages and disadvantages associated with capturing the mini-bases, it would be perfect. It would also be great for the players who prefer the larger scale war scenarios to the more sport attributes.

I think that kind of gametype would make everyone happy.

ZenTseTse said:
i think your GOOD damn points about this style of gameplay in fact hasn't been fully appreciated and allowed on this forum (i mentioned initially an "irony" which has everything to do with both the subject of the thread and the context of the thread).

We do have a mentality about what tribes is going to be, and radical ideas aren't something easily accepted. I don't think anyone should expect them to accepted either.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't post about them.

But I'll go ahead and admit there are cliques of a sort. I like to think posters such as pyro, zooloo, uber, IX, etc. have very open minds, but still maintain an image of what to expect from tribes in a traditional sense. I think those type of people do make up the core thought of tribestalk, but I also think there's no reason to go on an offensive towards them.

Other posters, the ones who flatly shoot down radical ideas own, call things stupid without reason, and just want T1/T2 with better graphics can be assholes. I can see how you'd want to be defensive about them, but they're the ones who wouldn't care about your ideas anyways. At least in the former clique you'd have people willing to discuss things.

I think it'd be better if you just attacked the GD seep rather than TT as a whole. But you're not alone -- I've seen many others on this board who have radical ideas as well but still make a vaild attempt to justify them.

And I have no problem if you attack ME personally, but leave the rest of the forum out of it ;P

Sir Lucius said:
And I have no problem if you attack ME personally, but leave the rest of the forum out of it ;P

i will not comply. :roller:

i dont believe anybody here is really worth flaming (except nofix) if it compromises a good discussion (including healthy disagreement).

:)

i find it much easier to criticize our HABITS and culture than people, cuz we're all here due to love of tribes.

period.

and that said... i stand by my belief/claim that if a 'member' had started this thread and made the same points... that it would have received nothing but flames, historically.

or perhaps Tribes Talk is changing? :D

self-awareness goes a long ways... and i'll continue to do my part (even if that means being flame bait). /me puts self on eternal cross

edit: i find it ironic that a community that prides itself of flaming is so sensitive to really minor criticism.

Last edited:
back to the substance of the thread...

zoo, i dig the idea. frankly, i think onslaught is brilliant design by itself. they obviously studied other games. when planetside unveiled the lattice, i didnt like the idea. well, actually, i was torn. it made sense but i also knew they were removing a critical "cowboy" element of the game and going to basically chop the fanbase at its knees. however, in a different context... it simply provides choke points for gameplay that otherwise would be all over the place (which i thought planetside need more of, and then needed sportsy league stuff on the side). some form of warfare mode really does need to happen for TV... and i think we're all aware of that. heck, i still think some form of renegades/shifter gametype deserves to be formally supported after all these years...

thrax, if you are gonna sit here and whine about DaveG yet some more... just stirring the pot and old wounds... saying you suggested a gametype like this for tribes2... then where is it? at least show us SIEGE or CnH. :D

i mean, im willing to give you all the credit! but show us the money!

all i've heard about (i honestly may have missed it) is small teams playing CTF, Rabbit and "Ball" which all sound like fun sportsy stuff. that's cool. rock-on.

but what about the other side of the coin?

is there a secret? :D

Sojourn said:
Not necessarily. In CTF, the punished are certainly punished more, and deservedly so. Being punished in CTF isn't just out-capping your opponent. It's decimating their base, their players, etc.. Now, the trick is to allow the punished to get back into the game. The couple of times I played Onslaught, this was most definitely not really a possibility. If one team takes control of the game, it's over. Invariably, one team gets control of all but the last node, and at that point, the game is over. Since you can't attack and destroy nodes that you are not linked to, you have to focus on that one node that protects your base. So, essentially, you have 16 people all trying to defend a single node.. which is fine, but one side has a huge advantage, and the other side doesn't.
Well, endgame comes to mind... but I don't think getting back into the game would be a problem if you made the main base have an advantage over the smaller nodes. Onslaught would play out a lot differently in t:v than ut2k4. Speed being the main factor. In tribes you have speed both with and without vehicles, in 2k4 it doesn't quite work like that. If the attacking team sends too much force to destory the enemy's core, then their nodes become weakened, so if the losing team can send in 2 or 3 HO to take one while the others stay behind and defend, they got a good chance of taking it and getting the shield back up on their core. Now the tricky part for the team defending the nodes, is anticipating which one will be hit. As a result their defense will most likely be spread across all of the crucial ones, giving the losing team an edge in a counter-attack.

I think it would work perfectly, it just depends on balancing the strength of the main bases vs the node bases.

pyrot3chnic said:
Well, endgame comes to mind... but I don't think getting back into the game would be a problem if you made the main base have an advantage over the smaller nodes. Onslaught would play out a lot differently in t:v than ut2k4. Speed being the main factor. In tribes you have speed both with and without vehicles, in 2k4 it doesn't quite work like that. If the attacking team sends too much force to destory the enemy's core, then their nodes become weakened, so if the losing team can send in 2 or 3 HO to take one while the others stay behind and defend, they got a good chance of taking it and getting the shield back up on their core. Now the tricky part for the team defending the nodes, is anticipating which one will be hit. As a result their defense will most likely be spread across all of the crucial ones, giving the losing team an edge in a counter-attack.

I think it would work perfectly, it just depends on balancing the strength of the main bases vs the node bases.

also, one thing folks dont normally realize is that with UT2k4 onslaught... you can CHANGE the node/lattice structure. yep.

you can thus make a node link network that's more or less appropriate for the size of the teams. so, if you have a smaller server you might run a network which has more centralized chokepoints. for larger servers you run a network which opens it up more and allows for flanking of action.

as a mapper, i must say that's both scary and liberating. it's scary in that folks can twist gameplay beyond your intent. it's liberating in that it allows smart admins to negotiate the gameplay depending on real server situation (plus, the best gameplay sometimes emerges beyond author's intent).

the "myunreal" servers (my ut clan) are running a variety of link setups and it's fascinating to see how the gameplay shifts accoridng to the variations.

i think it's just right when we see some "come backs" here and there, and lots of struggling to swing the game one way or the other (without it becoming a boring stalemate). the private myu server brings in folks from the top ctf and dm clans, so it might not reflect proper pubbing... BUT... i think the gameplay dynamics show themselves cuz folks are playing as a team.

i just got off a server where there's one final node prior to attacking the base. my team kept a tank, manta and a couple dudes repairing and using lightning gun against raptors (plus the turret was always manned). thus, we had rather intense defense at the final node which basically guaranteed a win (it was hard getting to that point).

i think that for pubbing purposes... that would get too frustrating. you need some more open links. that said, every SERVER might actuall be totally different in terms of the style and types of gameplay.

here's the latest, weird link running. fun gameplay, but i wouldnt recommend it unless you have full servers with a ton of people on it.

notice how easy it is to flank around to the final node! that's really intense gameplay with strong teams, but once a team gets a lockdown on that one and isolates the enemy nodes beyond it, it can get ugly... FAST. ive also seen complete turn-arounds with this setup. again, the point is just that having the option to switch the links around on a server... rocks. :D

WeirdLinks.jpg

here is the default lattice

LinksDefault.jpg

here is one which would likely lead to utter insanity, lots of counter attacking on enemy bases... and perhaps cases where both teams' generators are being attacked at the same time!

LinksInsane.jpg

and finally a simple means to provide a slower ending... perhaps a moderately fun compromise.

LinksSlowEnd.jpg

Last edited:
ZenTseTse said:
and that said... i stand by my belief/claim that if a 'member' had started this thread and made the same points... that it would have received nothing but flames, historically.

sorry to get off topic one last time, but I just wanted to say you're probably right -- however, if this member presented his case as well spoken as Zoolooman does you would probably be less right ;P

I don't expect members to be perfect, so I'll just try to be more open minded from now on.

Sir Lucius said:
sorry to get off topic one last time, but I just wanted to say you're probably right -- however, if this member presented his case as well spoken as Zoolooman does you would probably be less right ;P

I don't expect members to be perfect, so I'll just try to be more open minded from now on.

someday you'll acknowledge that im well spoken and perhaps also realize that TW vet status doesnt mean ****. :D

until then, check out this pic from a new ut2k4 map.

oddly enough, there's only ONE node. i honestly cant fathom if that would play well (perhaps for a small server?).

granted, talkign about a non-ut2k4 gametype... the implications are hard to guess since the proper balance implies a whole range of factors including means of spawning, types of vehicles, types of weapons, etc.

the more 'wide open' the gameplay and the less people, the more i suspect you want to have a more simple chokepoint.

frostbite.jpg

Onslaught (if we will see it) in Tribes will be as popular as Team Rabbit 2.

This is and always will be (or, better, should be) a CTF game.

sYs|yavor said:
Onslaught (if we will see it) in Tribes will be as popular as Team Rabbit 2.

This is and always will be (or, better, should be) a CTF game.

folks were trying to convince themselves of that on the UT forums a month ago, as well. historically, it's true.

i <3 CTF and UT was a CTF game as well but... ONS = 70% of the action and CTF is about 8%.

i want to see tribes be fun CTF but i dont think we need to narrowly hang onto any one conception. what it SHOULD be is fun... and something that folks want to play.

CTF is a dying breed, at the moment (which could change).

I don't agree that CTF is on its way out in Tribes.

But I do note that in terms of server popularity, object oriented gametypes get plenty of traffic, and a good one like this would be great for pubbing experiences beyond CTF.

Don't ever get me wrong; I believe CTF will be the premier gametype of T:V.

ZenTseTse said:
someday you'll acknowledge that im well spoken and perhaps also realize that TW vet status doesnt mean ****. :D

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice that you had a member title until just now ;P

Sir Lucius said:
If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice that you had a member title until just now ;P
Zen likes to make it out to be more than it is. Members only get ripped on when they act like idiots; which is, unfortunately, rather common. That doesn't mean they get zero credibility though. It's always his fall-back point if he thinks his "genius" idea isn't as widely accepted as he thought it'd be.

K a couple of you said stuff about killing gens being a punish the punished thing. I think this is a rather different situation.
First of all vehicles are far more critical in ut2004 or bf1942 to winning, while there are often some of these at your base the bulk are in the field at nodes or flags. This means the winning team gains access to more as they start to win, increasing there power.
Tribes on the other hand, at least in t1 with killing gens you might lose your turret farming if you don't have a remote invo, you lose HoF and HO. While all important aspects none of these is necessarily more powerful and all can be compensated for while your in spawn armor. So basically I'm saying I wouldn't call it punishing the punished, its more changing the style of play a team has to use.
You might argue that 1942 or ut04 you just change the style of play as well, if you do read the above again, several times :p
I might also add the killing the enemies gen, destroying base and all that can 'easily' be done by both teams at the same time.
I brought it up though because we are talking about an onslaught style system, if these sorts of issues are going to come up it'll be in that game type.

Imo :)

Zoolooman said:
But I do note that in terms of server popularity, object oriented gametypes get plenty of traffic

that's... a major understatement.

shall we review the online gamer stats? :D

it's basically like 99/100 gamers playing fps at any moment. dont get me wrong, im a big CTF fan... but let's get real and stop seeing through the eyes of "want" and more in terms of through the lens of what is and what perhaps could be.

oh right, that's one of those idiot things "zen" says *rolls eyes*

same types of die-hard folks were just saying the same thing about UT being a CTF game just two weeks ago. 70-80% of people playing the UT2k4 demo are playing onslaught... NOT bombing run... NOT ctf... NOT dm... not even assault (which rocks).

now couple that with the way the average gamer already perceives "tribes" and you see why many folks here (and especialyl elsewhere) are concerned when they hear TV only has 2 vehicles... TV only has sportsy gametypes... etc. the debates are raging "out there" and the expectations are being set already (granted, not always based on facts).

all that just to say... thrax, please tell us there's more to the future of tribes than CTF and Team Rabbit Reduxe.

Last edited:
ZenTseTse said:
that's... a major understatement.

shall we review the online gamer stats? :D

it's basically like 99/100 gamers playing fps at any moment. dont get me wrong, im a big CTF fan... but let's get real and stop seeing through the eyes of "want" and more in terms of through the lens of what is and what perhaps could be.

oh right, that's one of those idiot things "zen" says *rolls eyes*
I don't understand why you continue to believe that every FPS should be lumped together like a pile of dogshit. "OmG CS is so popular, so let's make T:V a close encounter one death and you're dead type game, it's obviously what's besT!@!@#!@#!@#!@$" And I didn't say you were an idiot, idiot, but that lots of things members say are idiotic to the rest of the crowd because they've been here a short period of time and don't know the regular goings-on.

I love how you always go instantly to the "stats" to prove your point. Get real already.

Ixiterra said:
I love how you always go instantly to the "stats" to prove your point. Get real already.

ummm

stats vs flaming

gee, i wonder what makes for a better argument on tribalwar *rolls eyes*

meanwhile, folks wonder why i lay such criticisms as i did earlier... roflmao

ZenTseTse said:
ummm

stats vs flaming

gee, i wonder what makes for a better argument on tribalwar *rolls eyes*

meanwhile, folks wonder why i lay such criticisms as i did earlier... roflmao
Stats are worthless buddy. We've had a couple of years of online gaming total so far and you, in your infinite wisdom, think you can pull something meaningful from that. Sorry, you can't. You can't break it down into gametypes or style (WWII or whatever) like you think you can. There is simply not enough information. Keep trying though.

Back