Onslaught-style gametype fits the bill for a "large" gametype.

Ixiterra said:
Stats are worthless buddy. We've had a couple of years of online gaming total so far and you, in your infinite wisdom, think you can pull something meaningful from that. Sorry, you can't. You can't break it down into gametypes or style (WWII or whatever) like you think you can. There is simply not enough information. Keep trying though.

/me sighs

im pausing because i doubt you're prepared to actually reason or be respectful. sorry, but dont get me wrong... whatever makes you think it's cool or sounds smart to talk like this is beyond me.

but i do think "stats" and "facts" are fuckin relevant to the discussion.

even within tribes1 and tribes2, we might actually find lots of people playing stuff beyond base CTF *gasp* which is worth noting.

anyways, you certainly CAN break games into different styles, types, genres. each way you break it down will offer strengths and weaknesses.

any empirical "map" offers strengths and weaknesses... and no map is perfect, but a map which makes important, useful correlations to reality is a viable tool.

abstraction aside... if 99/100 gamers are playing games and gametypes filled with objectives and such, that's worth noting. it doesnt mean it's some "law" but it's worth noting.

flames aside... a couple of years ago there were 3 primary FPS online: quake, tribes and ut.

tribes and ut have had sequals (quake had its own already, and we'll see about the next). they were each characterized by splash damage, dramatic player movements and CTF (with varying degrees of DM). they are to this day held up independently by their die hard fans as the epitome of "skill based" games (usually simply due to the physics and timing required to lead projectiles while dueling).

that "old school" stype of gameplay has been on the way out for a few years now - but the story aint over yet. :)

i strongly argued on the UT forums that UT2k4 CTF's biggest hope lay in Onslaught. in other words, folks weren't "coming back" to another ut game just to play CTF but they might come back to play onslaught. if they come back in mass to that and lots of mods... then CTF would have a fair shot again. ONLY if...

im not sure that's the exactly same for tribes vengeance, but there's definately a parallel whether you want to see it or not.

GOOD FUCKING LORD TSETSE DO YOU EVER LET IT FUCKING DROP. YOU TURN EVERY THREAD YOU TOUCH INTO SHIT.

You've ruined my fucking Onslaught thread with your goddamned pushing of IRRELEVANT CRAP. I'm glad you support this concept but please get out of my thread NOW!

I mean holy christ, this thread didn't need to fucking turn into a flamewar but you can't LET SHIT GO. LET IX INSULT YOU AND GET THE HELL OVER IT.

Can someone lock this thread so nobody can reply? The point was made, so if this is going to turn into another TseTse thread I'd rather it be preserved before it gets any worse.

Zoolooman said:
GOOD FUCKING LORD TSETSE DO YOU EVER LET IT FUCKING DROP. YOU TURN EVERY THREAD YOU TOUCH INTO SHIT.

You've ruined my fucking Onslaught thread with your goddamned pushing of IRRELEVANT CRAP. I'm glad you support this concept but please get out of my thread NOW!

I mean holy christ, this thread didn't need to fucking turn into a flamewar but you can't LET SHIT GO. LET IX INSULT YOU AND GET THE HELL OVER IT.
:D

Zoolooman said:
I don't agree that CTF is on its way out in Tribes.

But I do note that in terms of server popularity, object oriented gametypes get plenty of traffic, and a good one like this would be great for pubbing experiences beyond CTF.

Don't ever get me wrong; I believe CTF will be the premier gametype of T:V.

I agree. I don't think CTF is a dying breed by any stretch of the imagination. It just has limitations in other games. Look at UT's CTF.. it's like team deathmatch. Well, who the fuck wants to play that over and over again? It doesn't have the same diversity you find in a Tribes CTF match. It's the addition of armors, vehicles, and roles that will keep CTF alive. That is where Tribes excelled above all others.

T2 CTF is based on two kinds of objects: static (bases, gens, VSs, turrets) and dynamic (cappers). This is what makes it so fun in T2. Onslaught is based on static objects (nods - only; bting base is not as important as taking nods). I played a lot in UT and was quite good there so I play UT2004 Onslaught sometimes and it's quite fun because... it is stupid and easy. It's fun to kill nods, but how long you can play in a mod where 90% of your time you are in a vehicle and shoot to the static objects???

BTW, what you guys think, are UT2004 ONS vehicles fun? For me - definitely not. Where is fun if I know everything about driving after 20 mins of playing?

Gamers r dumb, but many games are dumber.

Back