[T|V] Request: Multimonitor Support for Command Screen.

EViL JiM

Veteran X
I geuss I am assuming alot, that the command screen from T1 and T2 will still be in T|V.. but would it be possible for them to include support for multimonitor in-game so that one screen will show your normal display and the other will have your above view map.

I would hazard to say, "No." Mainly because of how most of these games are rendered.

But... the game will have a radar HUD to compliment the command screen. That's pretty cool.

Even if there was support for it, I wouldn't like to see the option. I've always felt that switching back and forth between the command screen was a skill. It renders you slightly vulnerable while you get a look at the bigger picture. I liked that, because awareness is an important part of the game, but it had a slight risk if you weren't smart about it.

I think they cut that system and replaced it with the radar HUD exactly to trim back a bit from these skill requirements for new players.

Yea I thought they got rid of the command screen in T:V since it was probably more unused than the T2 community features.

I believe it was stated that there will still be a CC....and holy crap if they added duel-monitor support i would so, go out and buy another monitor.

Fool said:
Yea I thought they got rid of the command screen in T:V since it was probably more unused than the T2 community features.

nah, they said they streamlined it, but it's still there. but we still haven't seen much at all in the way of details about it.

Command map is still in the game, it just won't be as advanced or as hard to use as the Tribes2 CC. That's pretty much all we know about it.

Maybe there is a skill to it.. but this is one of those things, that if I had a choice.. I would take it... Coordinating defense can be a bitch sometimes.

Wow, what a cheat that would be.
Anything rendered by the cc and displayed automatically in t2 is rendered impotent by DT. So I'd assume this follows in that vein.
But ya know what happens when I ASSuME.

better be able to filter out things like players, turrets, deployables that sorta thing. i used the CC alot in t2

EViL JiM said:
Maybe there is a skill to it.. but this is one of those things, that if I had a choice.. I would take it... Coordinating defense can be a bitch sometimes.

That's my point. :) Coordination and awareness on the fly is, at least in my opinion, supposed to be a bitch. It's like weapon management, energy conservation, and other little nuances that make a good player a great player. Maybe the Dev team disagrees with me on this, but that's my take on it.

Sojourn said:
That's my point. :) Coordination and awareness on the fly is, at least in my opinion, supposed to be a bitch. It's like weapon management, energy conservation, and other little nuances that make a good player a great player. Maybe the Dev team disagrees with me on this, but that's my take on it.

I shall conceede this point to you... but at what point do you draw the line for tools and aides? Voice chat is a definate advantage.. but no one has come out saying that it removes the skill of combat awareness.

Maybe it's the old argument of scripting... at what point does it become cheating.

I would love this feature, so I hate to bring this up, but that would definitely fall under the category of something not everyone could use. It would basically mean people with the money and room for two monitors (and a dual-head card) could have a superior tactical awareness. Despite being one of those people, I'd say that makes this a bad idea. :(

EViL JiM said:
I shall conceede this point to you... but at what point do you draw the line for tools and aides? Voice chat is a definate advantage.. but no one has come out saying that it removes the skill of combat awareness.

Maybe it's the old argument of scripting... at what point does it become cheating.

I'm not the best person to ask this question. At any rate, for me the line is drawn where monotony ends and skill begins. Simplifying something for purposes of efficiency is fine, but if it replaces or enhances skill I don't like it. For example, the ski script simplified something. Having to repeatedly hit your space bar is not a skill, it's a monotonous task. The only thing I could argue is that new players did not readily have access to that script, but this was taken care of in T2, and now in T:V. Voice chat is another form of simplifying. You can already talk to your teammates, by typing what you want, or using the Tribes' voice commands. Voice chat simply allows you to talk and be heard. In fact, of the ski script and voice chat, the ski script was more powerful. I know of plenty of people who preferred to bind their own voice commands and used them instead of spoken word, because it was fast and efficient.

this would be a great idea if they limited it to your teammates on the CC.. and those enemies in line of sight of one of your teammates (in other words, you can't see the guy on the CC that is behind you that no one else sees).

at a glance, implementing this i think would be a challenge, since (as far as i know), dual monitor support is not handled the same way with all video card vendors.

Back