+skill

Well an update to what I posted earlier. Gave 16/25/10 a run. And man The dmg increase was completely noticable after a ZG run. The high backstab crits were still there along with OH doing its fair share. I also gave pvp a lil run with it. The Versitility is gone, but like pve the dmg increase is there.

Just have to pick up that belt from Dire Maul and give it a run on some bosses.

aegisalpha said:
I saw your post in that thread on the rogue forum.

Gogo gadget humanity.
Me or someone else?

I'm go go gadget asshole on the WoW forums.

I parsed ~5 C'Thun attempts last night, most with Maladath, but at least one with Brutality, so I'm going to analyze that when I get a chance.

currently +skill seems to cap at 10, where your glancing blows suffer no damage penalty.

getting a 6% overall dps increase from changing 1 or 2 items is fucking sick.

sekdar said:
currently +skill seems to cap at 10, where your glancing blows suffer no damage penalty.

getting a 6% overall dps increase from changing 1 or 2 items is fucking sick.
Yeah, from my parses last night, it seems that I went from losing 15% overall white damage down to 5-7%, just with the +4 from Maladath.

And to think we let our last 3-4 pairs of aged core leather gloves go to waste on a couple druid's "feral sets" and a paladin who wanted them for FR..

AgentOrange said:
And to think we let our last 3-4 pairs of aged core leather gloves go to waste on a couple druid's "feral sets" and a paladin who wanted them for FR..
We noticed the "secret" about six months ago when a combat dagger rogue switched to them and suddenly started competing with me and beating me on a good number of fights (I used to be #1 95%+ of the time). Haven't had a Maladath drop since then, so I was never able to test it myself (until now, woo), but the math has come out recently that backs up our observations quite nicely.

here's the short version.

1 pt of weapon skill gives you:
+0.04% chance to hit
+0.04% chance to crit
-0.04% chance to be dodged
-0.04% chance to be blocked
-0.04% chance to be parried
-0.04% to target's armor mitigation
+3% more damage on glancing blows

(all of these are calculated additively)

pretty fucking good modifier. shame it's so rare.

Now the question is, does the +6 swords set bonus make up for the crappy mainhand damage on the hakkari warblades? (For a rogue)

Sounds like yes for bosses.

I saw your post Pessimistick. It was good info.

Until our two remaining un-upgraded sword rogues get CTS/AQR I won't be taking advantage of my human skill bonus. My CoBD does just fine for now.

Well, I wanted good Timbermaw rep anyway so I'm a grinding fool on the lowbie Deadwood Warriors which have the highest drop % for "Edgemaster's Handguards".

So, if I understand the math correctly, once I'm wearing these (not including the +7 agility enchant I'll put on them) I'll be doing:

+0.28% chance to hit
+0.28% chance to crit
-0.28% chance to be dodged
-0.28% chance to be blocked
-0.28% chance to be parried
-0.28% to target's armor mitigation
+21% more damage on glancing blows

Is that right? If so, damn, I'm a very, *very* happy DW Fury Warrior!

Maybe I'll get even luckier and loot a "Krol Blade" while I'm there ...

:D

please note that +skill's biggest impact is on fighting mobs above you in level... during trash clears your standard epics are probably way better.

Error|550 said:
Well, I wanted good Timbermaw rep anyway so I'm a grinding fool on the lowbie Deadwood Warriors which have the highest drop % for "Edgemaster's Handguards".
According to your link the Surf thingies have a 1 in 2000ish chance to drop one while your Deadwood Warriors have a 1 in 23,000ish chance to drop one. But with drop counts that low I don't think it's wise to draw too many conclusions.

Slayer_Allen said:
Now the question is, does the +6 swords set bonus make up for the crappy mainhand damage on the hakkari warblades? (For a rogue)

Sounds like yes for bosses.

I asked myself that same question. Last night on a late-night ZG clear, the MH dropped, and I still had my OH banked from months ago.

Took it to MC tonight. It tears shit up. I'm not even human, so I'm looking at +6 only. There are a few rogues that were competing before (I normal go combat dagger, perd / fang) and I just left them in the dust with a nice 20/31 respec.

Perdition's / Fang using 16/25/10 and ZHC ~350dps
Warblades using 20/31 and ZHC ~355dps

Those dps values were over the entire raid, I should aid. Not for any one boss in particular. I felt though I was pulling agro more often than before, but probably because of the different talents. Also, switching from daggers to swords in one day was kind of a trip, I've hardly played one. Backstabs are sometimes made much more difficult by raid members moving the mob or kiting it, so I'm not entirely sure how to weigh the info.

Close, and rough, but quite an improvement considering the max dmg of perdis vs the max of warblade.

So I can only assume that (860ish unbuffed AP) the +skill increase and resulting dmg in MC would just blow shit up in BWL / AQ. We have a BWL clear tomorrow so I'm gonna stick with it and check it out.

Last edited:
Shoddy said:
According to your link the Surf thingies have a 1 in 2000ish chance to drop one while your Deadwood Warriors have a 1 in 23,000ish chance to drop one. But with drop counts that low I don't think it's wise to draw too many conclusions.

Thott is terrible for drop rates.

Shoddy said:
True, however I am working on my faction with them anyway so "two birds, one stone".

Lukeris said:
Thott is terrible for drop rates.
Aren't all the sites pretty shitty in estimating drop rates? If not, please direct me to one that actually does a better job. I've tried Thottbot, GoblinWorkshop, Allakhazam ...

Gringo said:
I asked myself that same question. Last night on a late-night ZG clear, the MH dropped, and I still had my OH banked from months ago.

Took it to MC tonight. It tears shit up. I'm not even human, so I'm looking at +6 only. There are a few rogues that were competing before (I normal go combat dagger, perd / fang) and I just left them in the dust with a nice 20/31 respec.

Perdition's / Fang using 16/25/10 and ZHC ~350dps
Warblades using 20/31 and ZHC ~355dps

Those dps values were over the entire raid, I should aid. Not for any one boss in particular. I felt though I was pulling agro more often than before, but probably because of the different talents. Also, switching from daggers to swords in one day was kind of a trip, I've hardly played one. Backstabs are sometimes made much more difficult by raid members moving the mob or kiting it, so I'm not entirely sure how to weigh the info.

Close, and rough, but quite an improvement considering the max dmg of perdis vs the max of warblade.

So I can only assume that (860ish unbuffed AP) the +skill increase and resulting dmg in MC would just blow shit up in BWL / AQ. We have a BWL clear tomorrow so I'm gonna stick with it and check it out.
Check your DPS during boss fights. Daggers lose alot on trash due to positioning, and given the DPS difference in the weapons I'm betting you'd still do more damage with the daggers when it really matters (bosses).

aegisalpha said:
Check your DPS during boss fights. Daggers lose alot on trash due to positioning, and given the DPS difference in the weapons I'm betting you'd still do more damage with the daggers when it really matters (bosses).

Yeah, I've played 2 rogues to 60 as daggers and I've gotten very good at positioning for a backstab when I have the energy at it, but I completely understand what you're saying.

I noticed on boss fights like Vael, swinging the weaker swords even with the skill didn't net me a huge bonus, but it was a bit more consistant. On trash mobs, after working so long with backstabs, ss spamming was so easy, I felt like I was cheating myself. Not counting the Vael attempts, however, I was higher than other rogues on fights like Firemaw and MC bosses (actually, the entire raid).

I can't seem to get a solid reading because as an officer, I typically do ML and rolls, so there's times where the raid is ahead clearing and I'm behind, and it throws off the damage meter. I've tried soloing in Tyr's to get some reads, but considering the playstyles are different, and talents are different, I'm not drawing a lot of good conclusions.

I will guarantee I'm one of the more focused rogues in our guild, so when I say I'm doing certain things, I assure I am. I really have a feeling that in MC (for my more constant situation) that with my gear, wimpy hakkar blades were superior overall perdis/fang. Unfortunately, I didn't test per boss fight in MC, but BWL (only on brood, I control on Razor and Vael is just crazy) the blades won out.

Back