[SHAMAN] Leveling 48-70 (questions) {brackets!}

Shopper47

Veteran X
As the title suggests, I have a 48 Shaman twink that I am considering leveling. He is currently DW Enh, and you can look him up (Robitussin Tauren) for gear/speccing.

My question is, is WF MH 2.7 / WF OH 2.7 the best DW spec? Right now I am WF MH 2.7 / FB OH 1.4 and it seems to work fairly well, but looking at how Stormstrike and WF operate now, would it not make more sense to just have a max top-end OH as well as close to 3.0 seconds??

Also, After SR, should I spec Resto or Ele? This char is years old (48 instead of 49 for maximum twinking back when marks = exp), so I am somewhat rusty on Shaman (shamen? plural? no idea).

Also how do you roll out in typical PVE mobs? I enter with ES, then SS, ES again, and make sure I keep LS up and that's about it. Sometimes a GoA totem as well.

Looking for tips! THXALL

As the title suggests, I have a 48 Shaman twink that I am considering leveling. He is currently DW Enh, and you can look him up (Robitussin Tauren) for gear/speccing.

My question is, is WF MH 2.7 / WF OH 2.7 the best DW spec? Right now I am WF MH 2.7 / FB OH 1.4 and it seems to work fairly well, but looking at how Stormstrike and WF operate now, would it not make more sense to just have a max top-end OH as well as close to 3.0 seconds??

Also, After SR, should I spec Resto or Ele? This char is years old (48 instead of 49 for maximum twinking back when marks = exp), so I am somewhat rusty on Shaman (shamen? plural? no idea).

Also how do you roll out in typical PVE mobs? I enter with ES, then SS, ES again, and make sure I keep LS up and that's about it. Sometimes a GoA totem as well.

Looking for tips! THXALL

Getting the slowest weapons for both hands is ideal due to the facts that a) Stormstrike is not a normalized attack (meaning slower is unconditionally better), and b) there is a 3 second internal cooldown on windfury procs.

According to the mathematically inclined folks at EJ, at level 70 you're better off with a green 2.6/2.7 offhand that you can buy off the AH than you are with an epic one that is considerably faster - if your offhand procs windfury it is going to be significantly weaker than a main hand proc and will prevent your MH from proccing it for 3 seconds.

Worth noting is that in 2.3 Enhance Shamans will get a talent that gives them spell power equal to a percentage of their attack power. With this talent, you can put Flametongue on a faster offhand and not destroy your damage output as you would on live servers. This makes a fast offhand more viable, but it is still far inferior to slow/slow with double windfury.

After getting what you need in Enhance, put your secondary points into Resto with the goal of getting Nature's Guidance, and if you do a lot of grouping, or plan to, Totemic Mastery. Shamans are the only dual wielding class that can get 9% hit purely from talents. 9% is a magical number in hit because it is the exact amount required to never miss a special attack versus a level 73 mob. Shamans get more talents for melee +hit than any other class in the game so it would be foolish to pass them up. You can spec Ele for improved shock damage, but shocks make up a lot less of an Enh Shaman's total damage than melee attacks do so this is generally regarded as a poor choice, and your overall damage output will reflect that.

As for grinding, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want - Enh Shamans are almost untouchably good single-target killing machines. The highest dps rotation is Stormstriking on cooldown and rotating between Flame Shock and Earth shock on cooldown, but this is pretty mana intensive and SR alone might not always keep you going (at least until you get water shield). An efficient way to tackle general solo PVE is to fight your way into the middle of an enemy camp and drop your full set of totems (strength of earth, grace of air, mana spring, searing) there, then drag whatever mobs you fight in range of them so you get your maximum duration out of them.

i just went elemental with my shammy at 68 yesterday, but i love it so far. Soloing kinda reminds me of Priest alot, doing a couple big lightings, frost shocking and strafe'n back to hit them with another lighting to finish them off.

I've been leveling an Orc Shammy since Adren started the "spin-off" from The Core on Tich with all the TW fellerz. At level 50 I'm 41 points into the Enhancement tree and I'm going to starting putting points into resto as I get towards 70. Going to respec Elemental when I hit 70, especially with the new 2.3 patch and the buff for ele shammys.

I found the best combo for my guy is a slow 1handed mace with windfury and a moderate speed off hand axe with flametounge (orc +skill to axe's helps, might be better with an off hand mace).

When I start with a mob it usually it goes like this;
Stormstrike
Earthshock
Earthshock

Rinse and repeat. If I get more than one guy on me, I'll drop a Stoneclaw totem and then just wait until my first target is dead, then go to the next. I don't use Lightning Shield much at all, unless I know I'm going to have to fight more than 1 guy at a time.

After a few mobs I'll be down to about half my life and I can throw in a Heal to get full, but be low on mana. Then I'll start hitting a mob, without Stormstrike or anything and wait for Flurry and Unleashed Rage to proc, then I will hit Blood Fury and Shamanistic Rage and it will get me to about half mana so I can just start killing mobs and get back on the grind again with minimal downtime.

Engineering helps a lot too, being able to stun an entire mob with a grenade/bomb is great so you can get a heal in if things get icky. Also, I would strongly suggest getting an Epic Necklace called Lei of Lilys. It conjures an item called a Lily Root that restores health and mana and doesn't share a cooldown with Health/Mana pots. Also, the Ankh of Life helps in those situations, it's a trinket that only restores around 100-200 health, but it has a 3 - 5 min cooldown, so it can be used often. I don't like waiting around and drinking/eating and try to focus just on killing and questing at the moment.

Anyways, I'm enjoying my shaman a lot and I think it's easily my favorite class at the moment. Between off-healing, topping dps in instances, being able to have full wipe recovery with reincarnation and rezing people when needed, it's by far one of the most versatile classes and a blast to play. I love being able to go into groups and the tank just switches to duel wield because I pull aggro so much haha. Being able to off-tank most stuff at the moment and just steam rolling instances is great. Today we had a hunter send his pet ALL THE WAY DOWN to the bottom of the stairs in ZF right when the even started. Aggro'd fucking everything and they all came up after us. Everyone wiped but not before I got a Magma and Stoneclaw totem down to aggro them all at once, just in time for the pally to put a Divine Intervention/shield thing on me, they all reset and I rez everyone with Bly and the goblin still alive.

Back