mage vs rogue for cata

Falhawk

Veteran XX
I'm going to roll a new char for cata. I prefer dps but can't really decide between rogue or mage. I was leaning towards rogue but heard that at max level they aren't as effective as other dps classes in raid settings.

Opinions?

I really enjoy my mage, and being able to port anywhere is very handy now, and will be even more so in Cata when Dalaran and Shatt lose their portals.

Both classes have been OP and terrible at various points.

In general, I don't think I would intentionally play a pure class if I were starting over.

Both classes have been OP and terrible at various points.

In general, I don't think I would intentionally play a pure class if I were starting over.

Ideally I wanted to go shaman but I want to go worgen too. Druids are an option I just find them to be pretty dull (same with warlocks/hunters)

This was my mentality when switching from mage to paladin. Hybrids are good in this game. And being able to take advantage of 2+ different specs is pretty valuable.

I'm amazed I stuck with my mage during BC, but wotlk it was awesome. I wouldn't make any raid judgements yet on cataclysm

atm casters are on the low side for dmg, since they require so much hit, and with no more +hit talents and such, they put a lot of gemming/reforging to that point, so much so that there is very little room to expand beyond that. Once you get into first tier epics it starts to open up a bit, but idk, haven't really experimented much beyond that.

atm casters are on the low side for dmg, since they require so much hit, and with no more +hit talents and such, they put a lot of gemming/reforging to that point, so much so that there is very little room to expand beyond that. Once you get into first tier epics it starts to open up a bit, but idk, haven't really experimented much beyond that.

I know there was some mechanic they stuck into druids and shamans which would convert some of their Spirit into spell hit, but one thing I DO know and seen it when I put my shaman in his Resto gear (which is around ToC10-equivalent) he is beyond hit-capped.

I know there was some mechanic they stuck into druids and shamans which would convert some of their Spirit into spell hit, but one thing I DO know and seen it when I put my shaman in his Resto gear (which is around ToC10-equivalent) he is beyond hit-capped.

At 85? I'm pretty sure the stat scaling at that point would make what you say difficult at best.

Back