Old
21 - 10-27-2009, 20:32
Wtf is this

Sponsored Links
Harbinger
VeteranX
Old
22 - 10-29-2009, 19:26
very good read. similar but different than jordan, in a good way. hardly a slow moment throughout the story, and a nice wrap up at the end.

Rhand Altor
VeteranXV
Old
23 - 10-29-2009, 19:32
Holy ****, its about time.

Kelven
VeteranXX
Old
24 - 10-29-2009, 19:34
I read the first two and that was good enough

Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
25 - 10-30-2009, 17:48
WoT is like crack. I completely forgot the new book was coming out until I went to B&N today.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
26 - 10-30-2009, 18:03
Is this series worth starting? How does it compare to something Song of Ice & Fire?

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
27 - 10-30-2009, 18:09
not nearly as crazy as song of ice and fire, good plot and character development. i like how the characters differ, but the female characters are just plain annoying and the detail is extremely long.

Garion
VeteranX
Old
28 - 10-30-2009, 18:19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthious View Post
not nearly as crazy as song of ice and fire, good plot and character development. i like how the characters differ, but the female characters are just plain annoying and the detail is extremely long.
Agreed. A review on Amazon that I read said it best: in Jordan's writing, for every one "answer" there are at least 10 "questions" generated. You never get any satisfactory endings and the books just keep on getting longer and longer.

The first four are great, then they kinda end up in never-never-land. I'd read wotmania for those and then probably pick it up with 10 or 11.

Still worth reading though.

Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
29 - 10-30-2009, 18:22
Eye of the World is worth reading even if you stop after that one book.

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
30 - 10-30-2009, 18:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garion View Post
Agreed. A review on Amazon that I read said it best: in Jordan's writing, for every one "answer" there are at least 10 "questions" generated. You never get any satisfactory endings and the books just keep on getting longer and longer.

The first four are great, then they kinda end up in never-never-land. I'd read wotmania for those and then probably pick it up with 10 or 11.

Still worth reading though.
No. That isnt as good a descriptiona s above. I didnt find many questions at all.

A Better description would be, Most of the books are 600+ pages, and the same story could have been told in 3-400, albeit not in such detail. He goesa into Extreme detail in some instances, especially in Combat sequences. However if you have to skip the middle 6 books of a story and read an outline, you shouldnt be following the story at all.

I love all of the books, although some more than others. The Character development is amazing. The fact that after the 1st few books you end up with 4-5 "Almost Main storylines" in addition to your primary protagonist, means sometimes you go chapters without reading about your favorite characters. But it also leaves you wanting to read more, because you want to know about all of them.

Some of the female characters are annoying, but probably because they are a faairly accurate portrayal of women, and women are crazy complicated creatures.

I would recommend the series to anyonme who enjoys In Depth Fantasy writing, but has the patience to read what is already over 6000 Pages long, and has another 1000-2000 to Go.

Most of the books I read in under 72 hrs, meaning I missed out on a lot of sleep. Ive read over 500 novels (mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy) in my Lifetime and only 2 or 3 other series have ever kept me reading through the night when I had School/work less than 4 hours away. I say go for it Rayn, If you have the Time.

NOTE 1: The 1st Book is almost entirely character development and will be the hardest 1 to get through, but once you do the rest will be much more intriguing since the stage is set.

NOTE 2: When youg et to combat scenes, if the "This Move flowed into that move" stuff doesnt do it for you, you are safe to skim those parts since sometimes they go for a page or 2. That was the only skimming I did in the series, and only about 30% of the time, if I didnt feel like reading those details.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
31 - 10-30-2009, 20:56
I have nothing but time. I download the audio versions of all these books and listen to them on my commute (7.5 hours or so a week...)

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy by Sandersson and enjoyed it.

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 10-30-2009, 21:14
yeah when part 2 and part 3 of book 12 get released I *might* read it.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
33 - 10-30-2009, 21:17
yeah I'm not sure I need another series that isn't done.
Got ASOIAF
the name of the wind (awesome, read it now)

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
34 - 10-30-2009, 21:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
I have nothing but time. I download the audio versions of all these books and listen to them on my commute (7.5 hours or so a week...)

I assume you already know that Sanderson is finishing off the series since Jordan never got the chance. Ive only read chapter 1 of the new book (Wife is making me wait till i get book for xmas), but It looks good and I cant wait.

Talk of waiting, i picked up this series when only 2 or 3 books were out. It was 91 and I was 12. :/ Im 30 now. Wtf.

Each time a new book came out, I would read the last 1 before it again in 3-4 days, then read the new book in 2-3 days, then wait another year or 2.

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
35 - 10-30-2009, 21:37
yeah I know, that's what caught my interest originally. I can't say he's an awesome writer, but his stories are good.

sargonnas9
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 10-30-2009, 21:47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
very good read. similar but different than jordan, in a good way. hardly a slow moment throughout the story, and a nice wrap up at the end.
OH ****ING THANK GOD. After reading the debacle that was Colfer's attempt to continue DA's work, I was worried about WoT. Glad to hear.

bobett
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 10-30-2009, 21:47
I've never heard of this, but I'm a fan of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series.

sargonnas9
VeteranXX
Old
38 - 10-30-2009, 21:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post

7.5 hours a week? Wonder how long it would take to go through the series.

DeadGuy*
Veteran++
Old
39 - 10-30-2009, 22:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post
I agree with this.
Good read and true to Jordan's characters and style.

Rhand Altor
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 10-30-2009, 23:11
Though its annoying, instead of this being the last part at least 3 more will come out...

Page 2 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [nerdalart] The Gathering Storm

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
hey , i want to fuck twiggy , me too , twiggy wants to fuck me