Marweas still hasnt told us about getting fired

Did the game fall behind schedule at some point near the end of the dev cycle? I ask because I seem to remember reading posts from various dev team members (and perhaps even some marketing folks) saying the game was either on or ahead of schedule. But then I look at things like the "mod kit", the dedicated server, bugged recording feature, etc. and it just doesn't add up.

I am pretty sure that it fell way behind schedule. I remember a thread about the watermark in TV showing that it was 75% or something like that complete in the retail version of the game using togglewatermark or some shit like that.

The game didn't die in beta. The game died on the drawing board. By the time a beta rolls around for any game it's too late to implement the kind of feedback and advice that was necessary.
I haven't played since before the patch got cancelled so I'm running based on what people have said. There seems to be a pretty general consensus that the community efforts to fix the game (both in terms of balance and in terms of bugs) have been positive, if not marginally successful.

A lot of people were pretty pumped about the game in beta, myself included. If we had known that that would be the final version and not an interim step, I'm pretty sure we would have seen things differently...

Edit: Thrax, that may be the general idea of a beta, but from what I was seeing there was a pretty big emphasis on gameplay and balance. There were some pretty significant changes from build to build.

Last edited:
When T2 was made, no changes to physics or general gameplay should have been made. Same for T:V. I'll all for innovation - but allow me to step off into apples to oranges. What would happen if they changed the diameter of the regulation basketball every three years, and changed the size of the hoop, and the court? Pandemonium.

Regardless - not everything went wrong. Both T2 and T:V are IMHO gorgeous-looking titles worthy of being called Tribes. The gameplay and physics changes aside, you guys did a good job for the most part - especially considering the corporate climate in which both games were concieved and delivered.

^^

ET:QuakeWars is our only hope I'm afraid.....at least it has skiing (more like t:V skiing though) and a jetpack on one side.

Just want to say it's good to see some real players dropping in to TW for more than a lurk. :bigthumb:

I am pretty sure that it fell way behind schedule. I remember a thread about the watermark in TV showing that it was 75% or something like that complete in the retail version of the game using togglewatermark or some shit like that.

I remember them putting out regular statements like "oh yea we're right on time"

either they were, and it just came out crappy, or sierra was pushing them.

Are you trying to piss me off? :)
;)

Actually, back in pre-alpha T1 days when skiing wasn't possible you would land and stick to the ground like glue, no matter how fast you were moving in the air. It just felt wrong so it was changed to make you skid to a stop. If you jump before you stop skidding you "ski". Very simple.
Bah. Too simple. I like my explanation better. :D

So how's life treating you nSpectre? Long time no whatever.
Quite well, thanks. I owe you a drink. Can't remember why, just do. Give a call when you're in town and we'll gather the boys around for an evening. :bigthumb:

That Marweas and Thrax even managed to get T:V greenlit is the miracle that should be discussed most. Those guys did an absolutely superb job of making a compelling case and lining up great talent to get the game done.

We couldn't have done it without your support either. But you were always modest.

Much :heart:

also, speaking of course in perfect world, its never too late to fix a problem with software. It gets more expensive as you go alone, that's true. Hwoever NOT making a fix when it is absolutely necessary is more expensive even in the latest round then not making the fix at all. This includes design changes.

i sent Dave G a pm on the mageknight forums...we'll see

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."

--------------------------------------

I loved T1, stuck with T2 to the point I came to love it too, and am one of what? 25K people that bought T:V, and enjoyed the shit out of it too.

Thanks for all the fun, guys.

Props for a good effort, but you guys should have known better than to change so drastically what made the original work.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time it was pretty universally accepted that T:V needed to be a new game, not a rehash of T1 or T2.

I think that what most of that haters fail to realize is that TV did not turn out the way any of us wanted. It took a ton of personal sacrifice just to get it to where it was, once VUG support was pulled.

To the people declaring how bad the game is - go look it up on metacritic. It's no Half-life, but I'll proudly stand behind the game T:V turned out the be, even if it never had the chance to reach its full potential.

Back