Kelaguen Kåtne

LGBR

Contributor
Veteran XX
Kelaguen Kåtne

GUAM FOOD
Good w/ rice or w/ beer or preferably both
No fire required.
This is a basic recipe, so you can mod it for your individual tastes. I eat this shit spicy as fuck, but I'm posting the recipe for "white people" taste buds.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb extra lean beef
1 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1/2 cup chopped or sliced onion
2 teaspoons hot pepper of your choice (Since you guys can't get Guam peppers, the ideal is Thai Bird Eye Chili)

HOW TO:
Cut beef into thin strips/fajita size pieces
Press as much blood out of the beef as possible
Chop up Onion + Green Onion + Pepper nice and fine, then put it in a deep bowl
Add Soy Sauce + Lemon Juice (I fresh squeeze mine, works best) to bowl w/ the veggies
Add beef to the bowl with the juice + veggies
Mix liberally, and keep the beef buried in the juice
Cover and set for between 2 and 3 hours, but make sure you go back at least once every hour to mix it up good

It should look like this as soon as you've mixed it:
stLufx6.jpg

I usually take my leftover lemons and put it over the top of the Kelaguen before i cover it, as so:

0cme2GL.jpg

After it's set, check the meat. Should be tender and soft as raw meat, but appears to be browned and cooked. If the meat appears more "uncooked" than "cooked" try to add some more lemon juice + soy and let it sit longer.

Ridiculously EZ to make, pretty cheap, and I've never met anyone who said they didn't like it.

FAQ:
WTF IS NOT COOKED?!
No. The acid from the lemon juice denatures the beef and "cooks" it.

DO I PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE?
Not while it's "cooking." After it's properly prepared, you can put it in the fridge overnight but it's really meant to be eaten fresh.

CAN I USE OTHER MEATS?
Chicken is the most common, but it has to be cooked + shredded first. I've also seen it with Octopus and it's fucking super good that way too.

HOW THE F DO I SAY IT?
Kell-Uh-Gwen

WHO IS WELCOME?
You are.

Well, press the blood out of the beef before putting it in the bowl with the rest. You don't want any blood at all in the mixture.

You can pour it over rice and eat it that way
or you can pick out the beef and eat it w/ pita bread
Its up to you

The broth itself can be too lemony/acidic for some folks palates, but the biggest factor is heat. The last batch I made (pictured there) had a handful of habaneros in it along w pepper flake. The longer that broth sits, the hotter it's gonna be.

Okay sorry, it "inhibits lipid oxidation" in the beef, but the effect is largely the exact same.

inhibiting lipid oxidation has nothing to do with denaturation or 'cooking' through denaturation

lipid oxidation = off flavors from the surrounding atmosphere

Gonna try this weekend with minced beef shank (Chamorro in Spanish) because after googling apparently the people who created this dish is some tribe called Chamorro. I can't help but have the joke built in. Will post results.

lemme know
its real good

lol im a chef at a movie theatre i have a chemistry degree nigger kids etc

Wish I could find that Chicken Kelaguen recipe my buddy from the Marines gave me.

One of the greatest dishes I have ever had. :drool:

i know you can 'cook', that is clean, meat by acid instead of heat as both will denature proteins (tho im still skeptical that you can use acid to kill risky pieces of meat, like ground meat), i wanted 2 see wher eyou got the lipid oxidation bit from.

getting away from all the drama, i am p confused:

lipids will oxidize at room temp. sat fats take longer, but unsaturated fats will oxidize p quick. this is why fish oils are the first to oxidize at room temp, and the peroxidation of fish lipids is really stinky. lots of unsat fats means unstable lipids. (lol @ new age housewives buying omega3 oils at whole foods for "healthy" cooking). i thought ppl soak in acids to kill bacteria. makes sense. i wouldnt try it on ground meat, but seems fine for fish and shit. i just thought that acids catalyze or quicken lipid oxidation. acid catalyzed hydrolysis of unsaturated bonds n shit. does this happen? when you lemon/vinegar treat fish like ceviche do you see it get pretty smelly? or the opposite?

or am i missing something and u were right, that lipid oxidation is somehow being inhibited by the acid. (this could be happening, for while acids presumably speed up lipid breakdown, they could be denaturing proteins that would naturally be breaking down the lipids much faster than the acid could.)

or maybe im completely wrong, and acids do buffer against oxidation. i mean, acids prevent my guac from oxidizing, rite?

as giga said tho, this is a separate topic from making the food safe from eating. that bit isnt about lipid oxidation. thats about killing germs that cant handle low pH. the lipid oxidation inhibition tho, while im not a chef, seems like it's a big topic for food.

the deal with germs is different than some people picture it

the overall likelihood of enough germs being on a particular piece of meat that has been handled properly is generally pretty low, obviously depending on the animal. poultry generally carries more than beef and fish.

the problem is when meat isn't handled properly, and sits at unsafe temps for a period of time long enough to let the bacteria multiply, at which point they can infect you or release toxins onto the meat that will make you sick. if this is avoided, you can eat all kinds of raw meats, including ground beef, without having to worry too much about getting sick. with ground beef, if you plan to eat it raw i'd suggest grinding it yourself, as you're obviously tempting fate a bit otherwise.

parasites are a whole other ballgame. usually more prevalent in fish, but freezing for a period of time (most fish for market sale are) can get rid of most of those.

Back