JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
101 - 07-04-2008, 00:53
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...mdJoAD91L6L407

New Iraq report: 15 of 18 benchmarks satisfactory

By ANNE FLAHERTY ***8211; 2 days ago

WASHINGTON (AP) ***8212; No matter who is elected president in November, his foreign policy team will have to deal with one of the most frustrating realities in Iraq: the slow pace with which the government in Baghdad operates.

Iraq's political and military success is considered vital to U.S. interests, whether troops stay or go. And while the Iraqi government has made measurable progress in recent months, the pace at which it's done so has been achingly slow.

The White House sees the progress in a particularly positive light, declaring in a new assessment to Congress that Iraq's efforts on 15 of 18 benchmarks are "satisfactory" ***8212; almost twice of what it determined to be the case a year ago. The May 2008 report card, obtained by the Associated Press, determines that only two of the benchmarks ***8212; enacting and implementing laws to disarm militias and distribute oil revenues ***8212; are unsatisfactory.

Sponsored Links
Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
102 - 07-04-2008, 01:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wm4n View Post
The fact that he opted out of public campaign financing ought to be the biggest red flag; Obama is disproportionately funded by people from the top 1 percent of Americans.

Obama is taking progressives for a ride: he has argued for ‘more deals such as NAFTA' in his past, saying such deals will boost the economy; his economic policy director is Jason Furman, who has publicly defended WalMart and it's business practices, saying it was a blessing for poor people.
Somewhere around 50% of his funding came from small dollar donations, which is alot more than most other major party nominees

As for progressives, not all progressives are anti-free trade

Since Obama is getting actual economists, of course most are going to be pro-free trade as that is one of the few things the vast majority of the field actually agrees is economically beneficial for the countries in question.

As for Wal-Mart, it's important to realize that a significant portion of income growth is derived from productivity gains - and over the last couple decades around 25% of the productivity gains in the entire economy have been attributed to the retail sector and specifically Wal-Mart and it's competitors.

In the short-term, some people are hurt due to jobs going overseas - but in the medium and long-term it should balance out with innovation and investment in other fields that would employ people that might have worked those jobs. One way to look at it is that we wouldn't have had the explosion of office and technology jobs in the last 30 years if it weren't for manufacturing becoming more efficient/transferring some things overseas because we wouldn't have had the labor supply that was equipped for that work much less a large enough pool of labor to meet the combined demand.

I prefer to look at it like this anyways:
Obama's team includes Jason Furman (Harvard, World Bank, CEA, Brookings), Austan Goolsbee (U of Chicago, NBER, CBO, MIT), Karen Kornblugh (Deputy CoS under Rubin in the Treasury), David Cutler (Harvard), Jeffrey Liebman (Harvard, NBER, CAP, Special Assistant to the President for economic policy), Michael Froman (Managing Director, Head of Infrastructure and Sustainable Development Investments - Citibank, CoS under Rubin, Director of International Economics for NSC, National Economic Council, Harvard & Oxford), David Tarullo (Clinton's personal representative to G7/8), the Romers (Berkeley, NBER, MIT), Richard Thaler (U of Chicago, NBER, MIT)

McCain's team includes Jack Kemp, Phill Gramm, Warren Rudman, and Pete Peterson.

So one side are professional and academic economists while the other side are a bunch of former politicians and lawyers.. I think from a perspective of who is formulating economic policy, Obama >>>> McCain

Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
103 - 07-04-2008, 01:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post

The White House sees the progress in a particularly positive light, declaring in a new assessment to Congress that Iraq's efforts on 15 of 18 benchmarks are "satisfactory" — almost twice of what it determined to be the case a year ago. The May 2008 report card, obtained by the Associated Press, determines that only two of the benchmarks — enacting and implementing laws to disarm militias and distribute oil revenues — are unsatisfactory.
If 15 are satisfactory and 2 are unsatisfactory, what's the 18th?

ballmilk
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
104 - 07-04-2008, 03:10
Obama changes his mind often it seems.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,3035729.story

MolimOrion
VeteranXV
Old
105 - 07-04-2008, 05:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballmilk View Post
Obama changes his mind often it seems.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,3035729.story
It's almost like he's tripolar.

epidemic
VeteranXX
Old
106 - 07-04-2008, 06:08
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Obama's top contributors include Goldman Sachs (#1 at $571,000), UBSAG (#3 at $365,000), JP Morgan Chase (#4 at $362,000), Citigroup (#5 at $358,000), Lehman Bros. (#7 at 4319,000), Google (#8 at $318,000), multinational corporate law firm Sidley Austin LLP (#10 at $294,000)and nuclear energy powerhouse Exelon (#15 at $236,000).

Regarding Wal-Mart: Obama has slammed Wal-Mart for its notorious low-wage and worker-abusing practices, saying "I don't shop there."

The reality is, Obama has appointed as his economic policy director Jason Furman (from the conservative "Hamilton Group") who has defended Wal-Mart as a blessing for poor Americans.

Obama also endorsed pro-Wal-Mart Alderman Dorothy Tillman, who joined Chicago Mayor Richard Daley in opposing a city council resolution that would have required Wal-Mart to pay workers a livable wage in the city of Chicago. The resolution passed, but was vetoed by Obama's close ally Daley, with whom he shares his chief media consultant, David Axelrod.

Bezel
VeteranXV
Old
107 - 07-04-2008, 06:15
Dems and Rebubs are on the same team. Always have been, always will be. They are both controlled by big business, and the other major players in the world since the early 1900's. We have no say in the matter. Get over it. Democracy ended a long time ago.

Last edited by Bezel; 07-04-2008 at 06:26..
-§trife-
VeteranXX
Old
108 - 07-04-2008, 06:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzak View Post
As for Obama's position, needless to say I am disappointed. I have noticed a very significant right-ward turn in the last couple weeks: statements on supreme court decisions, FISA, iraq, and faith based initiatives to name a couple. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he came out tomorrow with an automatic strapped around his shoulder while declaring that he will attempt to ban abortions and the IRS if elected.
interestingly kizz, i notice you leave out the shift on obama's position on free trade. is that because you agree with most economists' position on the matter?

Bounty
Love
Old
109 - 07-04-2008, 08:28
You people aren't sheep.

You're lemmings.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
110 - 07-04-2008, 09:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzak View Post
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he came out tomorrow with an automatic strapped around his shoulder while declaring that he will attempt to ban abortions and the IRS if elected.
Now there's a candidate I can get behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolimOrion View Post
It's almost like he's tripolar.
I will be using this to make fun of triple from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDAssassin View Post
**** happens, sometimes you get information on a subject after a claim and it only makes sense to change whatever you said.
Should he be forming policy and campaigning on it when he doesn't have the slightest bit of information on the subject? Especially considering that as a Congressperson, it is his job to be aware of the situation.

Alekhine
VeteranX
Old
111 - 07-04-2008, 10:37
Haven't read the thread, but are the neocons who insist they unconditionally hate flip-floppers completely unaware of McCain's numerous flip-flops, are they just willing to defend them, or hasn't it been asked yet?

And are the anti-war lefties now in favor of staying the course in Iraq?

-Nearly all of you are overly-politicized (left and right) when you get like this. Stop it.

-I'm willing to bet there is nobody on this whole planet who has never reversed himself, and if there is, he's probably the biggest ******* going and a totalitarian at heart. Maybe even a psychopath.

-You make me sick, nearly all of you, on a consistent basis. You are a big part of what's wrong with this country. Stop bickering with each other so goddamned much over things as completely petty and stupid as this. See the problem for what it is, not what it isn't. (Hint: the problem has something to do with whether to stay or go and how and why, not that a candidate sees pros and cons of each and is willing to assess them). You party-liners are the absolute worst. Unbelievable.

P.S. Neither of these candidates are the best and brightest America has to offer. They are plastic corporo-****sticks that are being advertised and rammed down your throats, and the media pied piper is doing a great job of waltzing you rats through the streets in tow when you offer strong support for either one or masturbate over **** like this.

Wowbagger
VeteranX
Old
112 - 07-04-2008, 10:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evele View Post
Dems and Rebubs are on the same team. Always have been, always will be. They are both controlled by big business, and the other major players in the world since the early 1900's. We have no say in the matter. Get over it. Democracy ended a long time ago.
Oh, totally man. Like, Gore would've probably done the same thing is office that Bush did. We shouldn't even really care.

triple
VeteranXV
Old
113 - 07-04-2008, 10:53
theres nothing wrong with changing your mind..

but what if we tolerated that with like, mechanics? "Oh sure, I can fix your car. $2300."

And then he reevaluates the facts, gives you back your broken car, but keeps your 2300. The only difference is politicians call it a "donation". I think if they're allowed to reevaluate their positions, we should be allowed to reevaluate our votes and donations.

TrojanMan421
VeteranXX
Old
114 - 07-04-2008, 12:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0wm4n View Post
According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Obama's top contributors include Goldman Sachs (#1 at $571,000), UBSAG (#3 at $365,000), JP Morgan Chase (#4 at $362,000), Citigroup (#5 at $358,000), Lehman Bros. (#7 at 4319,000), Google (#8 at $318,000), multinational corporate law firm Sidley Austin LLP (#10 at $294,000)and nuclear energy powerhouse Exelon (#15 at $236,000).

Regarding Wal-Mart: Obama has slammed Wal-Mart for its notorious low-wage and worker-abusing practices, saying "I don't shop there."

The reality is, Obama has appointed as his economic policy director Jason Furman (from the conservative "Hamilton Group") who has defended Wal-Mart as a blessing for poor Americans.

Obama also endorsed pro-Wal-Mart Alderman Dorothy Tillman, who joined Chicago Mayor Richard Daley in opposing a city council resolution that would have required Wal-Mart to pay workers a livable wage in the city of Chicago. The resolution passed, but was vetoed by Obama's close ally Daley, with whom he shares his chief media consultant, David Axelrod.
What does endorsing an alderman who wants jobs for her poor southside Chicagoans have to do with being president? Daley and the City council know what's best for Chicago, not America.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
115 - 07-04-2008, 12:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekhine View Post
See the problem for what it is, not what it isn't.
I don't think you understand the problem.

What we are debating in this thread is whether the man changed his mind (and if that should send up red-flags) or if he deceived the voters to win the Democratic Primary (and if that should send up red-flags).

Gandalf
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
116 - 07-04-2008, 13:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratos View Post
I don't think you understand the problem.

What we are debating in this thread is whether the man changed his mind (and if that should send up red-flags) or if he deceived the voters to win the Democratic Primary (and if that should send up red-flags).
You're missing the most important point. Is he deceiving you NOW, or THEN?

You can paint it whatever rose color you want, the reality is, he's saying whatever he needs to say to get elected, nothing more, nothing less. Instead of standing on his principles, he's simply telling you what you want to hear, and letting you excuse everything else you're not happy with. This isn't new.

For the record, I hate both candidates. I'm a Huckabee supporter, not for his come to jesus beliefs, but because his stance on most issues I most closely identified with. He was one of the true HONEST guys running for the office. He didn't change his message depending on who he was talking to. But Americans don't want honesty, they want to be told what they want to hear and nothing else.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
117 - 07-04-2008, 13:10
WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says "mental distress" should not qualify as a health exception for late term-abortions, a key distinction not embraced by many supporters of abortion rights.

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
118 - 07-04-2008, 13:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
You're missing the most important point. Is he deceiving you NOW, or THEN?
You caught me on a slip-up and missed the point of my post.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
119 - 07-04-2008, 13:15
Recent Obama 'flip-flops':

*On Iraq, Obama said Thursday that his upcoming trip there might lead him to refine his promise to quickly remove U.S. troops from the war.

*He now supports broader authority for the government's eavesdropping program and legal immunity for telecommunications companies that participated in it, after opposing a similar bill last year.

*After the Supreme Court overturned the District of Columbia's gun ban, the handgun control proponent said he favors both an individual's right to own a gun as well as government's right to regulate ownership.

*Obama became the first major-party candidate to reject public financing for the general election after earlier promises to accept it.

*He not only embraced but promised to expand Bush's program to give more anti-poverty grants to religious groups, a split with Democratic orthodoxy.

*He objected to the Supreme Court's decision outlawing the death penalty for child rapists, even though he's been anti-capital punishment.

*Obama also said "mental distress" should not count as a health exception that would permit a late-term abortion, saying "it has to be a serious physical issue," addressing a matter considered crucial to abortion rights activists.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
120 - 07-04-2008, 13:18
god i wish fox news or whatever bull**** news show would have never coined the term neocon. every retard that wants to sound like he knows something when talking about politics uses it without reserve

Page 6 of 9

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page LOLbama - Obama changes tune on Iraq

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo is faggot , fagmotron , free gon , illiterate republicans , not right now you don't , obama lies , partisan hackery , republicans like boys , tw coverup