The map is the game

Smooth P said:
3) Make changes to facilitate fun pubbing (make cap limits
these are already in place, we run them on our server.
Smooth P said:
and 30-60 seconds of chat time between maps the default settings,
This is a configurable in the server ini, I currently have ours set to 30 seconds.

just fyi... :D

What gets me is that I think many people don't know what alot of us have figured out about the game in the past couple months. Alot of the complaints(not all, I know that, save the flames) some people have might be exactly like this, things that are already configurable etc.(ie auto dl, capouts, map rotations, reserved server slots, time between maps, admin functions(limited)). This doesn't excuse the devs from responsibility... we shouldn't have had to test and retest to determine how to configure these options, but as a community we have improved the game play considerably from those miserable first couple weeks. Add some custom maps in the fray and I am staying up later and getting less sleep.... :heart:

FYI, I might have hooked a new server into the fray. We'll definatly be following Mofo's example.

Infact, I'm likely to be badgering Molverine with some questions when it's ready ta go ;)

-Wolverine said:
these are already in place, we run them on our server.
This is a configurable in the server ini, I currently have ours set to 30 seconds.

just fyi... :D

What gets me is that I think many people don't know what alot of us have figured out about the game in the past couple months. Alot of the complaints(not all, I know that, save the flames) some people have might be exactly like this, things that are already configurable etc.(ie auto dl, capouts, map rotations, reserved server slots, time between maps, admin functions(limited)). This doesn't excuse the devs from responsibility... we shouldn't have had to test and retest to determine how to configure these options, but as a community we have improved the game play considerably from those miserable first couple weeks. Add some custom maps in the fray and I am staying up later and getting less sleep.... :heart:

Maybe you could make a Server.config type Tutorial and share your l33t skills with others who operate servers. ;)

BitRaiser said:
FYI, I might have hooked a new server into the fray. We'll definatly be following Mofo's example.

Infact, I'm likely to be badgering Wolverine with some questions when it's ready ta go ;)
.... Wolverine has left the building ;)

MR Dice said:
Well I just startd playing Tribes Vengeance Demo
and I am totally impressed with this game.

give the man a cigar :)

(btw caplimits good idea just dont make em too small number coz t:v is a fast game)

Proximus said:
give the man a cigar :)

(btw caplimits good idea just dont make em too small number coz t:v is a fast game)

not really... we had to go almost 40 minutes to cap out feign last night. capout set at 12 on it... i wouldnt call that a fast game... nothin slow like T2 used to be with maybe 1-2 caps between good teams per match, but some of the new maps arent gonna be the quick capouts that retails allows for.

DudeofDeath said:
Maybe you could make a Server.config type Tutorial and share your l33t skills with others who operate servers. ;)

tvadmin mailing list... that is the extent of my personal leetness. Many ppl contributed to that info, including Byte, ScratchMonkey, Sonic, Big Monkey's guide, others...

http://lists.matureasskickers.net/mailman/listinfo/tvservers

Any server admins looking for good info or answers to questions can post there. There are alot of very smart people signed up... its a wonder how they allowed meh 2 sign up..... :shrug: :D

Proximus said:
unfortunately the limits are set in the map file, and they aren't currently configurable on the server. Good idea though!

-Wolverine said:
unfortunately the limits are set in the map file, and they aren't currently configurable on the server. Good idea though!

Ya know, that HAS be one of the Big "Step Backwards" this game has Really taken.

There are SO few configurable things for Server admins its beyond Retarded.

Who the HELL said Mappers are good At setting limits etc? lol

Ashley said:
Ya know, that HAS be one of the Big "Step Backwards" this game has Really taken.

There are SO few configurable things for Server admins its beyond Retarded.

Who the HELL said Mappers are good At setting limits etc? lol

refresh me on how they were set in t2? i thought they were set on the maps there as well...

shazbot.. i'm always hanging around on Mofos waiting for ppl to join and now I find I missed out on some full server custom loving.

yessir, twas some fun. if i dont go out drinking tonight i'm prolly gonna hop on there after dinner. get some more pub luvin in.

Zio said:
No matter how much I want to agree with this thread, I can't.

T:V is very different from the previous Tribes games no matter how much a map might attempt to simulate the T1 or T2 "feel".

There are big differences in the gameplay mechanics that a map will not/can not change. I won't start listing them since I would be here all day but a map can only go so far. A map won't change the fact that hitting MA's are much easier now in T:V, or a map won't change the fact that you have to disk a mine twice to destroy it.

I have played with many players beta testing many new maps, and no matter how good the map replicates T1 or T2 style, the naysayers will always hold to their opinions that T:V is not Tribes to them.

I do agree that some user made maps are changing the way the game is played and the way skiing feels. I believe this is the aspect of the new maps you are referring to. But if you are trying to turn the heads of the players that are in the camp of T:V is way too easy for them, it won't work because all of the gameplay issues they hate are still there.

For the record, I love T:V and I enjoy the more simplistic approach T:V has taken. I feel T:V is much easier to slip into than any other previous Tribes game to date, yet I feel there is room for years of growth to constantly improve which in lies the heart of Tribes.

I do appreciate the fresh uplifting attitude of this thread.

I have to agree with Zio. Yes some of the custom maps do improve the gameplay by providing more open terrain with smooth slopes etc, but the physics of the gameplay is still off.

Yeah TV allows for some to easily jump in, you know like jump in a bomber and go on a spam fest etc. But my issues with the gameplay regardless of the maps, is the heavy gravity in the game and movement. TV movement feels too heavy and sluggish from the standpoint of a light. The thrust or momentum from jetting doesnt provide good horizontal movement, and the fall damage is excessive. Reduce the darn gravity.

Last edited:
The gravity isn't so bad... I kinda like it. When I first started playing tribes I thought it was too floaty, but I got used to it and never thought of it again until I played T:V. IMO the gravity in TV feels more natural... but either way I don't care. I can acclimate myself.

I agree, the falling damage could be adjusted, though.

Maybe I'm the only one but I kinda liked the skiing in the Open BETA... I think it compensated the gravity difference. *Waits for the flames*

sc4r4b said:
The gravity isn't so bad... I kinda like it. When I first started playing tribes I thought it was too floaty, but I got used to it and never thought of it again until I played T:V. IMO the gravity in TV feels more natural... but either way I don't care. I can acclimate myself.

I agree, the falling damage could be adjusted, though.

Maybe I'm the only one but I kinda liked the skiing in the Open BETA... I think it compensated the gravity difference. *Waits for the flames*

I agree on the skiing in the open beta, and I think thats because the refresh time on the jets energy was less than in the retail. A lot of folks I read on various threads agree that movement could be improved. Its either something related to the heavy gravity in TV or the jet pack being slightly nerfed in the retail compared to the open beta.

I know TV is not T1 or T2, but to me, the physics and movement should be as close as possible to the prior titles. In my opinion, TV movment and physics are still akward and stiff compared to T1 and T2. Remember I am not reffering to skiing. (everyone confuses skiing with movement) I am reffering to movement in the air and off the ground and how they relate to jetting.

MR Dice said:
Well I just startd playing Tribes Vengeance Demo
and I am totally impressed with this game.
I sure like seeing this ,Welcome MR Dice. Now every one say hi to MR.dice :roller:
And mofos ill tell you waht dats one bad mofo.

Back