Music. T:V

-A- ...Lost?

Veteran XV
no offense to OldSkul...but i really feel that the music of Tribes has always been a drag. Im in my thirties. im not some young punk..but all three tribes franchises have obviously consulted with the wrong music producers for a game targeted to this market. they appear to constantly be living in the 80s (a time when i probably would have loved this style music)! (motley crue? wtf)

face it, Xgames and most modern sports programs take advantage of the speed and rush of post-punk stylings and of Techno music as well. (and this doesnt suggest that the Producers or Directors of such projects actually like that kind of music...they just know their market) Sure i admit it was a bit cheesy in alot of PS2 X-games style titles, but just waay better than the guitar solo-stylings of all three tribes titles.

guitar solos are dead. (did u get that memo?) fast drums, fast bass-lines are what get the blood flowing. Techno music as well.

take the time to review your target-audience and review what the music is that they are listening to. This software isnt just for the dev team (all in the 30s and fourties im sure)

Im sure Carmack doesnt actually listen to Nine-Inch-Nails, he is thinking about the aureal effect of the music and the genre he is targeting.

How about a Tiesto remix of the Tony Hawk 2 soundtrack... does that tickle you in a way that if your (insert significant other) tickled you - you would say 'oh yeah, thats the spot'???

I didn't know OldSkul made that movie or the music part. The voice sound saying "tribes" almost sounded like the Biodore creature/thing from t2. Kick ass :)

in your minds eye, think of a movie scene with action and battle and blood-sport in it. does the soundtrack for those scenes have long-lingering guitar solos with synthesized background twangs that sound like they come from a late-70s wind-surfing video??

Joe Satriani is not popular with todays youth, but i know his music is popular with multimedia/soundFX guys in their 30s and 40s (i work with them often) and its just totally off-target.

Last edited:
-A- ...Lost? said:

guitar solos are dead. (did u get that memo?)
:[
Im sure Carmack doesnt actually listen to Nine-Inch-Nails, he is thinking about the aureal effect of the music and the genre he is targeting.
Heh, he actually does. Here's a pic of Carmack, Reznor, Carmack's wife Anna Kang and Trent's dog when the id staff went to a Dallas NIN concert back in the day.

Carmack and Reznor have been pals ever since their work together on Quake. Trent is doing audio work for Doom 3 as well now.

I figure their partnership is more like two masters who love collaberating and pushing limits rather than a marketting strat geared to target and sell to the widest audience. This quote helps back that:
ID software, the guys I did Quake for asked me to work on Quake 3 but it was kinda like rock songs and it didnít interest me, I told them if you're ever going to do something that ís interactive and dark and you need a real soundtrack then let me know. I would not do another lost highway, I'm tired of that. There ís a whorish nature to putting pop music on a soundtrack, just to make a compilation record to sell.
Strangely, it's actually Trent who seems to be the one worried about making sure the aureal effect of the music match the genre. :eek:

As for Motley Crue, they were supposed to do some stuff for T2 but nothing was included. The best thing that came from that deal was the PCXL Donna D'errico cover. :eek:

I'm not too concerned about the tracks that'll be included with T:V. I hope the SP has some audio immersiveness to it, but with MP I'm looking forward to running winamp in the background with nothing but guitar solos. ;p

lol right on right on.

(live in the now, man!) :p

I still have that DonnaDerrico cover on PCXL. its the only gaming magazine ive kept. (city apartments dont leave room to collect jack-shizzle).

Anybody who has a problem with the music selection for the TV videos can:

1. STFD
2. STFU

These people provided music for free. I selected the music based on quality. It was not selected make you feel gooy. Without it you wouldn't have a video, period. It's way better than what you provided (or I would have used your music) and to belittle what your fellow citizens gave you shows your own shallow nature.

You should appologize to all involved. The people who submitted music did you a favor, and you're doing them none.

I always turn off the in game music so I can hear game sounds better. Someone comming around the corner etc.

Heh play Kenny Rogers for all I care.

Thrax Panda said:
Anybody who has a problem with the music selection for the TV videos can:

1. STFD
2. STFU

These people provided music for free. I selected the music based on quality. It was not selected make you feel gooy. Without it you wouldn't have a video, period. It's way better than what you provided (or I would have used your music) and to belittle what your fellow citizens gave you shows your own shallow nature.

You should appologize to all involved. The people who submitted music did you a favor, and you're doing them none.

great response to feedback. im sure thats the mentality that will make the best decisions for the product delivery. just keep pretending like your doing us all a favor.

so so sorry to all involved.

im criticizing all tribes releases, and i think i see , from your reply, exactly where the problem resides. Im talking about targeting your market and your talking about how lucky we are to have any music at all.

Last edited:
Actually, the video was more to showcase the ragdoll physics and a bit of skiing, not the heart pounding gameplay that would be better accented by the techno you're talking about?

I thought the music fit the video just fine, neither were supposed to be fast paced or keep you on the edge of your seat :)

I am hoping the T:V soundtrack will feature Liberace on piano.

Actually, I'd like to see a full orchestral score, similar to the John Williams' score that gets cribbed for Star Wars FPS's, but I know that is a futile hope. It's not hip, baby.​

Back