[Brink]New FPS from Splash Damage

Back the in the days of Tribes, many people would stay home and play defense. They would try to body block and fail and be pretty much useless. Most of the time, the few people that would play offense had to yell at everybody else to go offense. That's where the password comes from.

I think.

go offense

I love the anti-lag and the hitscan weapons, makes playing on servers with 140+ ping enjoyable. :boogie:

Commenting on the game balance is a bit tricky being so new to the game... but some things stand out to me...

Deployable Light Turrets appear almost useless... It is so easy to circumvent them and they take for ever to actually start shooting at stuff... perhaps that's a good thing.

The Heavy appears to be more "slow" then heavy. He can't parkour and he's easy to hit so... it feels like he isn't any more durable to make up for how slow he is. Probably why I don't see him in game very much.

Some of the SMG"s appear really powerful compared to supposed "heavy(er)" weapon types.

Other things...

It's annoying that you have to leave a server to adjust certain features of your character... like your archetype.

Joining games using the Steam Works... is kinda convoluted.... it seems you have to close the interface after joining a game off a friend, then click a button on the menu to trigger BRINK into loading.... needless extra button pressing.

Yuo have to spend levels to respec your character... or create an all new character and then do those retarded challenges all over again... needless repetition of mundane activities.

Last edited:
does anyone else notice weird network lag, even when they have low pings? i have had a constant sub-100 ping to every server ive been on, but notice some weird issues...

like when i'm sprinting straight down an unobstructed hallway, I can just barely make out slight slowdowns in my movement every ~2 seconds. its worse when i'm smart running up or over multiple objects, there are constant tiny little shaky jerks, i assume caused from server checks/updates to my position. locally the game runs fine and is very smooth, great fps etc.

Be More Objective 2 star is pissing me the fuck off. Cant get past the hack part, i'll rush the other objectives, and then place the hack box, and run around to the Inv Station, and hack. My useless team just dies and they remove the box. Then its impossible to replace since the other bots dont suck, and respawn close by....

never gonna get that SMG

Be More Objective 2 star is pissing me the fuck off. Cant get past the hack part, i'll rush the other objectives, and then place the hack box, and run around to the Inv Station, and hack. My useless team just dies and they remove the box. Then its impossible to replace since the other bots dont suck, and respawn close by....

never gonna get that SMG

For the hack part you can hack it from range. Plant the hackbox, start hacking then run behind that little building thing. It got a lot easier after I realized that.

Deployable Light Turrets appear almost useless... It is so easy to circumvent them and they take for ever to actually start shooting at stuff... perhaps that's a good thing.

I actually really like this. The heavy ones are more damaging by a bit, but what the turrets really do is change how you approach an area, not omfgwtfinstarape you like TF2 turrets do. Good placement will net you some kills with them, but it is more about area control then kills with the turrets. Just using it to see when someone damages it as they go to capture a command post is super valuable.

I actually really like this. The heavy ones are more damaging by a bit, but what the turrets really do is change how you approach an area, not omfgwtfinstarape you like TF2 turrets do. Good placement will net you some kills with them, but it is more about area control then kills with the turrets. Just using it to see when someone damages it as they go to capture a command post is super valuable.

Yeah. I was thinking that.

I would think a TF2 super-turret would make some area nighe-impossible to get through with enough engineers about.

But.. they way the are now, they're mostly just a bullet, grenade sponge decoy.

never gonna get that SMG

i ended up doing it by just killing and killing and killing the enemy bots until mine moved up far enough to create a decent buffer between the enemies and me

I don't like that you have to choose between minmaxing mainly one class or going jack of all trades. Respeccing your points should be free and not cost a level.

The turrets are useless aside from being used as a bullet shield, I've seen lights run in a straight line in front of a turret, then slide past without the turret opening fire at all repeatedly

on the other hand Mines serve the same purpose if you want to know where someone is and they actually will damage them unlike turrets.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Turrets are worthless I don't even bother shooting them usually, mines are pretty good though.

yeah i think higher level turrets are more deadly...i know that when i played it at pax east, they already had weapons unlocked....and i owned the entire map with a turret and placing mines....turret was deadly.

here i think i'm level 7 or 8 and only have light turret and i dont think i've killed a single person with it.

My first impression of this game was pretty bad, but it's kinda grown on me. I only wish my computer could run it better.

Back