Question on map converters (D3 -> T:V)...

J

JackVanPimp

I've been making Doom3 levels for the past month or so. They are all multiplayer maps but since the D3 multiplayer community doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, I was wondering if anyone has heard of or is working on a *.map -> *.tvm file converter?

Here's a shot of the 1on1 dueling map I did in the Doom3 editor. This was intended to be played with the Rocket Arena mod coming out for Doom3 which has recently been put on hold because of the lack of a multiplay community in D3:

stonedojo2_mp.jpg

I'm about 75% done another base-type map in the spirit of the original TF maps for Quake (2fort, 2tech, etc...), and don't really want to learn another mapping program and then recreate everything I've done so far -- I will if I have too though.

Yea, that's the 1on1 dueling map I made -- not good for jetpacking around :D

I was thinking about converting the other one(s) I have going; they are larger and have bases for each team. Like I said, I have 75% of the 'base' map done and will probably finish it in the D3 editor just because I've done so much with it up to this point.

But I'm thinking, it's not too much of a stretch for me to assume that there will eventually be some sort of *.map converter out there...eventually.

Ok I'm a little bit out of my element seeing as I'm rather new to both the D3 engines and the UT engines...

While gameplay will always be the chief dictator of a maps success, and Doom3 and TribesV have very different gameplay styles, im not quite so sure about the possibilities of a Doom3 -> TribesV map converter. Both engines are quite different in thier build structures, and UTech relies heavily on StaticMeshes for the majority of its map components. Furthermore, UEd builds its maps from an infinite bsp, subtracting the world into shape, whereas (as far as I know) the Doom3 engine builds its worlds additively, creating the geometry. The lighting engines are quite different aswell, Doom3 using a singular pipeline for all game rendering. UTech still uses different methods for different elements. This is not to say that its at all impossible, however from what little I do know, it would seem quite difficult.

Still, learning both engines never hurts, it will just add more arrows to your quiver! I've been out of the "game" as it were for over a year now, and with all the new engine improvements I've been sucked back into things. There is a lot to learn, and a lot of new technology to play with. As long as figuring it out is as fun as creating, I'm sure you'll have a blast mapping for TribesV.

Back