Why T3 needs candy.

I'll second Teckman's statement - funcitonality needs to be represented along with the flair.

I play quake 3 with a certain model because when she does jumps in any direction, her legs flail all around and her center of mass moves all over. She's a bitch to shoot at when in movement because one can never quite place where she is or where she'll be next. I'd rather this sort of thing didn't happen in the next Tribes game.

Regarding sound, I'm torn. I'd love ambience in pubs, but I'd LOATHE it in competition. When I'm playing a match, I want to be completely focuses on the task at hand, not on the foilage and water. Further, while it may not seem like it, sounds is really bogs peoples' systems down. People know that for great graphics they need just pop in the newest video card, but the masses usually skimp on their sound cards, completely ignorant of their performance problem.

I think the happy medium was best expressed in Thief. The soundscape was incredibly diverse and lush, but it wasn't overbearing, and one skilled in listening could derive an advantage from their knowledge of the sounds.

Back