Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars
Page 2 of 38
Krayvok
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 09-23-2008, 20:11
This is development is bar far the best out of all of the devs for the 'future' tribes. This is going to be an awesome adventure working with you guys

Sponsored Links
Zio
VeteranX
Old
22 - 09-23-2008, 20:32
Everything is looking pretty good I must say even at this early stage. Player models are surprisingly good! The only thing that I found especially strange is the positioning of the player's weapon in 1st person view. I'd like to see it more off to the side so as not to obscure the front on view as much as it currently is.

Arcanox, tell the Tribal Wars team good job so far and to keep up the great work!

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
23 - 09-23-2008, 20:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio View Post
Everything is looking pretty good I must say even at this early stage. Player models are surprisingly good! The only thing that I found especially strange is the positioning of the player's weapon in 1st person view. I'd like to see it more off to the side so as not to obscure the front on view as much as it currently is.

Arcanox, tell the Tribal Wars team good job so far and to keep up the great work!
This is slightly where I'm torn. I actually set it up more to the center intentionally based off some of the feedback from T1 veterans. The main reason I did it is because many vets use the female model for two reasons. The obvious one would be the smaller hitbox for the female versions of the armor, but they also liked the placement of the weapon a bit more to the middle. Some people claimed that it made it a bit easier to judge where your disc was going to go and it made it a bit easer to get MA's

I might make a poll on this sometime in the future, but it's an easy fix to offset my weapon animations by a few units. Does anyone else think it needs to be changed?

Zio
VeteranX
Old
24 - 09-23-2008, 20:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanox View Post
This is slightly where I'm torn. I actually set it up more to the center intentionally based off some of the feedback from T1 veterans. The main reason I did it is because many vets use the female model for two reasons. The obvious one would be the smaller hitbox for the female versions of the armor, but they also liked the placement of the weapon a bit more to the middle. Some people claimed that it made it a bit easier to judge where your disc was going to go and it made it a bit easer to get MA's

I might make a poll on this sometime in the future, but it's an easy fix to offset my weapon animations by a few units. Does anyone else think it needs to be changed?
It was just my opinion, not a big deal, but it just seemed a bit awkward at first, especially with the chaingun weapon. That seemed to stick out quite a bit further than the other weapons. With a bit more effort on mapping you guys could have something really cool going on. I got the urge to play again while watching that vid, and that's saying a lot! Any other Tribes project has only stirred my laughter, not my excitement.

BTW... Were the players ridiculously skilled players or are MA's currently a little too easy?

Arcanox
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
25 - 09-23-2008, 21:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zio View Post
BTW... Were the players ridiculously skilled players or are MA's currently a little too easy?
Two things, the majority of the video was me beating up on a bunch of people who have never tried Tribes before. They were moving pretty slowly or doing a complete hover at the time, so they were fairly easy targets.

The other thing that I did was increase the size of the hit boxes for the projectiles so it makes it a little easier to score hits with all of the weapons. The size is a little bit too big, but I'm leaving them as is so I can get a better assessment of the flow of combat, and adjust damage values for balance purposes. When we progress through many more builds and feel comfortable with the values for the speed and damage values for the weapons, the size of the hit boxes will get smaller.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 09-23-2008, 21:20
Looks ****ing awesome. I'll have to pick up QW now.

Zio
VeteranX
Old
27 - 09-23-2008, 21:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanox View Post
Two things, the majority of the video was me beating up on a bunch of people who have never tried Tribes before. They were moving pretty slowly or doing a complete hover at the time, so they were fairly easy targets.

The other thing that I did was increase the size of the hit boxes for the projectiles so it makes it a little easier to score hits with all of the weapons. The size is a little bit too big, but I'm leaving them as is so I can get a better assessment of the flow of combat, and adjust damage values for balance purposes. When we progress through many more builds and feel comfortable with the values for the speed and damage values for the weapons, the size of the hit boxes will get smaller.
Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFiX View Post
Looks ****ing awesome. I'll have to pick up QW now.
Same here.

tribesfan90
Banned
Old
28 - 09-23-2008, 21:44
Why is it that two teams are working on separate mods: ala Project Rise on the Crysis Engine? Wouldn't it make more sense for the two teams to work on the same project?

tribesfan90
Banned
Old
29 - 09-23-2008, 22:09
Arcanox:

A) How will you get new players into this game?

B) Do you think the system requirements will be too steep? Also, what about the netcode? Just look at: Tribes Mod.... - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Official Community Site and some people there think that there will be problems running the game at a decent FPS, not to mention the netcode. What do you have to say about that?

Edit: NM, found the answer. Seems that the netcode could be fixed by now, if there were patches. That still doesn't address the fact that not everyone has a 3ghz machine with 2gb ram and a decent videocard.

Last edited by tribesfan90; 09-23-2008 at 22:16..
FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
30 - 09-23-2008, 23:38
Check it out: Mod Announcement: Tribal Wars - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Official Community Site

It seems like it stirs quite a lot of interest from even those who've never played Tribes. That, and tons of ETQW players came from or have at least play T1 or T2.

ET:QW netcode blows nuts, hopefully it will work well for your mod anyway And I run ET:QW on a 2 year old laptop.

BTW, I always swore to myself that I'd learn the etqw SDK to make some maps if the so called Tribes mod ever came out. Count me in.

PS: yeah i agree with Zio, it would look better coming from the side, weapon models should look good. You have a crosshair for a reason.

Last edited by FishStix; 09-24-2008 at 00:02..
?B-MAN
VeteranX
Old
31 - 09-24-2008, 01:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishStix View Post
Check it out: Mod Announcement: Tribal Wars - Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars Official Community Site

It seems like it stirs quite a lot of interest from even those who've never played Tribes. That, and tons of ETQW players came from or have at least play T1 or T2.
Fact is if it was just done right, the right look, feel, scale like this MOD it will attract attention. This is more Tribes (lookwise) then any other abhorition we've seen after T2. Well done Arcanox. And why has it taken this long for someone to actually create proper models that look pretty kick ass and match Tribes scale to a tee. I guess the question is how the netcode and physics will play out.

Last edited by ?B-MAN; 09-24-2008 at 04:32..
lumoon
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 09-24-2008, 03:44
Hit boxes for female and male light armor in T1 are the same.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 09-24-2008, 13:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumoon View Post
yeah, was about to say this as well.

FishStix
VeteranXV
Old
34 - 09-24-2008, 14:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumoon View Post
I was going to correct but I didn't feel like undermining arc.

americanjoe
VeteranX
Old
35 - 09-24-2008, 17:09
Looks great so far.

Xargon
VeteranXV
Old
36 - 09-24-2008, 23:20
looking good..

Sharps
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 09-24-2008, 23:28
How difficult would it be to implement a TeamRabbit-esque mod? Would it be possible to get the T1 code and in some way transport to this? Is the same thing possible with maps as well?

I just get the feeling that one gameplay based solely on an LT-style isn't going to entertain as much interest as a base game (which, obviously, is much more work), or having the option to switch between LT and TR. Simply put, LT as the only option would probably bore anyone past 5 weeks .

CynageN
VeteranX
Old
38 - 09-26-2008, 08:48
Lookin' really ****ing good thusfar.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
39 - 09-26-2008, 09:23
I just creamed my shorts.

Profhet
VeteranX
Old
40 - 09-26-2008, 13:17
can any of the work art/music etc be brought from the other projects like Ascencion or legions? save you some work or no?

Page 2 of 38

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Current Gaming > Tribes Talk
Reload this Page ET - Quake Wars Mod: Tribal Wars

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
opsayo is a cheater , tribes cheats , tribes is dead