Vengeance Vengeance

Marweas

Weasel4
With the recent news that VUG has discontinued work on the Vengeance patch and will not release it, the TRIBES community is left holding the bag. We have another lackluster Tribes game that hints at the promise of TRIBES, yet fails to deliver either audience or satisfaction.

Before we get to what to do next, let’s lay out some baseline facts. VUG owns the TRIBES IP outright. It will have no plans for current support, let alone further TRIBES products. The corporate plan will be to price protect the product all the way down to the bargain bin, make whatever few dollars they can off direct downloads. The remaining income from the TRIBES brand until the end of the life cycle plus any future licensing potential will be enough for them to protect their interest in it.

TribalWar will have nothing further to do with TRIBES except as a fan site helping them squeeze the last few nickels out of the franchise. No petitions, no stunts, and no pleas to gaming press are going to change any of these facts.

So how do we move on?

Well, the obvious reaction, the primal TW response is revenge. We do have the power to utterly nullify the TRIBES brand value, even turn it into a liability for VUG. We can cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, and without breaking any laws. We can make sure no game with that name sells at retail for the next 5 years or so, probably much longer. We can cause bigwigs heartache and middle managers to squirm.

But first we must consider the consequences. The actions such as the ones I would suggest will have one of two results. Either VUG will shut the game down completely, happy to wash their hands of this disaster completely with the cash from WoW and HL2. Else, VUG will bother to ask what the hell we want before shutting the game down completely, happy to wash their hands of this disaster completely with the cash from WoW and HL2. And I mean right down to the master servers.

Are we ready for that? I don’t think so. But I'd hear what you think.

Do you consider TRIBES so dead that you would want to ruin it to get a last shot at VUG??? And if by some chance VUG did give us their attention instead, what is it we want???

Play the game.

Never support another VUG title. And yes, that means HL2 or its clone spinoffs.

And boycott France for any reason you can think of. They might surrender like their history has shown in the past.

Oh.. play the game. I am sure that sooner than later, someone will figure out how to crack this game and it will suddenly be free for all to experience. I have no idea who or who but someone has the brains to do this.

Netcode and Server refined.
The community has an edge on providing good maps.
I personally will not forget VUG for a long time, just like the other entities that have burned me in the past.
As far as the Tribes name, If a developer can capture the same elements that the Tribes environment provides, ie Jetpack, Multiple armors, expansive environments, etc. Then I don't care what the game is named. Name it "Rocket Men" as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
What do we want?

What we've always wanted. We want a sequel to Tribes. Basically we want the same with more. Just like Halo2 is a sequel to Halo. It feels the same but it offers more. I doubt they are going to give us that at this point tho.

Here's something they could give us, "A no strings attached green light to create our own Tribes game." Let us use existing content (maps, models, weapons, scripts, etc) to put in our own free game. Let the community save Tribes.

duh...

and how do we
utterly nullify the TRIBES brand value, even turn it into a liability for VUG. We can cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars, and without breaking any laws. We can make sure no game with that name sells at retail for the next 5 years or so, probably much longer. We can cause bigwigs heartache and middle managers to squirm.

Firerizer said:
Netcode and Server refined.
The community has an edge on providing good maps.
I personally will not forget VUG for a long time, just like the other entities that have burned me in the past.
As far as the Tribes name, If a developer can capture the same elements that the Tribes environment provides, ie Jetpack, Multiple armors, expansive environments, etc. Then I don't care what the game is named. Name it "Rocket Men" as far as I am concerned.

That exists with Torque, correct?

Gonzo T. Clown has done some good stuff with the "tribes" format.

somebody is very bitter...

:popcorn:

edit:

1. fuck ourselves and the games over, so they pull all support and even stop worrying about cutting their losses

2. GET THEM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM!!!

3. sit around, waiting for 3, 4, maybe 5 years until they no longer care about the returns on the investment (or forget)

4. SURPRISE ATTACK in 2009 WITH A NEW GAME!!!!!

5. Get sued, watch them make a tribes cartoon or something in response to the new interest

6. go back to step 1

Last edited:
Make a new Tribes game and don't put the name "Tribes" in it nor classify it as a sequel/prequel to any Tribes title. If it is a success you have the potential of creating a new franchise based on the existing Tribes Community. If you fail, we cant blaim the devs for ruining Tribes because it wont be....Tribes technically.

Edit: I am not referring to Irrational making a new game that resembles Tribes. When I say "they" I just mean a new set of developers from a different company.

Last edited:
Its dead if the production team that is in charge of making the game keeps making the following critical mistakes.

1. Releasing the base MP game out of box incomplete, buggy and unpolished.
2. Optimal netcode. Tribes is about Mulitplay first, SP second.
3. Assumes Tribes popularity must be carried by the SP piece of the game.
4. Never ever release the server unfinished.
5. Completely ignore and remove all elements of strategic gameplay that existed in T1 and T2.
6. Tries to "simplify" the game in an attempt to make it easier.

7. Tweaks with the speed, and physics that are inherently classic Tribes T1. T1 and T2 classic should be the golden rule in terms of the base game speed. Let em slow it down for MODS not the reverse.

8. get a development crew that knows Tribes, plays Tribes and well loves MP game as much as the fans that play it. That understand all those idiosyncracies of Tribes physics (carving etc) that most new to the game would never notice.

9. Screws with the scale of the game. The scale should be like the original.

10. Never use an engine that puts Tribes in a box.
11. choose a proper engine for the game.

12. Quit ignoring the majority of pub players that play the game. Theres more folks who play pubs than competition. Thats a large portion of your market.

13. Make the game for its market (you know Tribes fans), and not the game for newbies with the consideration of some Tribal fan input.

14. Because T2 has split the community between classic gameplay fans and those who like more strategic gameplay, Tribes needs to be a bigger, badder game, not a slimmer, watered down game that was TV. Its easy to have a full, robust Tribes game that can be used for competition. Its quite the reverse to take a completely stripped Tribes game and make it more robust.

15. Dont strip the game, release it, say its easy to mod because so much has been removed. Keep it feature complete.

16. Make the game for those who play it. Tribes fans. Quit trying to change it.
17. Take the graphics seriously.

In other words its probaly time to go indie style and support projects such as Legends/Renwerx.

Last edited:
With varying levels of enthusiasm, I'd take ANY of the Tribes games over anything else were they supported. In spite of the communities great talents, gung ho devotees and the never ending series of initiatives to pump life back into the veins of one or the other, my judgement is this; they cannot be revived without core support.

All three are riddled with cheats, and will continue to be without support.

T2 and V have serious code issues that we are powerless to EVER overcome without support. Sure they are playable, but it's a valid issue, such as the state of error handling in T2 and the netcode of V.

I don't really need to continue to list the many established reasons, but in spite of my idealism and love for the series, there is no long term immersive sport value in any of these without support.

In short, I think there's little or nothing to lose, and I look forward to hearing Marweas' ideas.

ps: I seriously wonder what kind of $ it would take for VUG to sell the franchise once the dust clears. It's more than a longshot, but I can't help but think that a fairly serious investment group could issue from this community.

WeRe-|WoLf|- said:
ps: I seriously wonder what kind of $ it would take for VUG to sell the franchise once the dust clears. It's more than a longshot, but I can't help but think that a fairly serious investment group could issue from this community.

interesting idea... but i am sorta skeptical of some TW investment group being able to make anything that sold even better than TV.

then again, if the idea was to make simply something that PLAYED better... so be it.

edit:

besides, reading the notes from the VU exec/board reports, they are holding tight to internal IP development and production.

even if they think the IP is shit and nothing but trouble, i cant fathom them letting it go (for the reasons marweas states as well as just a matter of legal principle... you dont give up real estate)

Back