Looking for a new game 'like Tribes to play?

Rooster128 said:
Pocketgamer, while I am opposed to some of your ideas, I support what you are trying to do. Just make sure you don't get hostile about it, it will drive others away. Be open-minded and hear what folks have to say. That is my advice.

Thanks

What this thread is doing is trying to make it clear to other what threads like Marwease and I made are trying to do, since people don't seem to understand, as they continue to prove in this thread.

My idea is just one. I hope others step up to the plate and suggest their master plan, following the main idea that Marwease and I are following. Because I feel we have the correct main idea, but now to make the best plan.

It is just frustrating to see so many people lack this understanding and clutter up the progress people make.

The idea is that one idea will generate the most interest and we then can agree that its the way to go.

I disagree with marweases plan, as I think we can do the same thing for a lot cheaper, but Ultimately he has the right idea. He may oppose my plan, as he may feel it can't be done for so little, but again, the main ideas are the same. Hopefully someone else can come up with one more of us agree on.

Arcanox said:
Ladders I don't expect, but theres definately enough people here to organise a weekly pickup. Doesn't matter if it's on T1/T2C or Legends. If you want to bring new people into the game, then just hand over a CD with Legends or Tribes 1 to a friend.

If you think that this modest statement is an exercise in futillity, then just think about what you're proposing:

You want TW to FUND the creation of a game, sell at and advertise it?

Now thats never going to fucking happen. If you were to pop the question to the general public asking who will pay for it... well everyone would raise their hand. When it comes time to collect, people make themselves scarce. Unless 20 people want to shell out $2000 out of their own pocket.

I fail to see how I'm wrong here, I'm making a modest request to get people to play a game they already own, while you're asking them to pay for something out of their own pockets.

Again you miss the point.

My plan is not perfect, Marweases plan is not perfect, but the ideas are the same. We know what has to be done to get more players playing. What you're suggesting is not substantial enough. It doesn't do the purpose of what we seek, which I have already stated above.

My plan is pretty cheap. Very affordable, and very possible. The reason why I don't like Marweases is due to it being what I consider to be too expensive. I feel mine is more reasonable, but I don't claim it to be the final solution. Others can add their input, but if you go read my master plan, you will see that its very inexpensive, but it does hinge on getting the rights to Tribes, which could be easier then expected, or harder then expected. Who knows until we try.

I loaded up Tribes 2 and hopped on a classic server last night. We had some really nice pubs. Very fast paced. Good skill ratio, and some nice maps. It was the first time I have played Classic since Tribalwars last year. I loaded up my old script pack, and reconfigured my huds and key bindings and I was on my way. I am way rusty and got pwned alot, but it was a good time. Hopefully, more people will give it a shot and see that T2 Classic is STILL pretty sweet.

FreshMeat

Last edited:
Amadeu5 said:
Btw, I think Legends has potential in that aspect. When the game's a bit more complete, we could raise some money to advertise it on a few sites. The idea of a community making their own game is something that would really get people's attention, if they knew about it.

I shy away from Legends because its not trying to be Tribes 3. It wants to be a little different, and I feel that we are better off with Tribes 3. If we can secrue rights to Tribes IP, we are set. If not, then maybe Legends is the way to go.

Look at games like Knight Online... Free game, really addictive... and they house a HUGE community. It's possible...

Last edited:
Cheap and affordable? I mean VUG spent a few fucking million trying to make the game. Now although it was fundamentally flawed, and never recouped their production costs in the sales, they still had to originally shell out a shitload of money to get a reputable developer to make the game.

Now I understand your plan will have it's costs marginally lower. I would not even THINK of starting to license someone else to develop a game unless I had close to a million. Now, lets see where would we get that kind of money? Donations? I wouldn't even say thats a longshot. It's completely hopeless.

If you people feel like throwing money into projects that have a chance, let me direct you to Renwerx, Legends and SS2845.

Also, you people think you know something about numbers. Well I know a thing or two about numbers and I know for a fact that things ALWAYS cost more than originally estimated. I do not want to hear that you guys "think" you have a chance at pulling this off. If you want any success you have to know that you can pull it off and hope for the best that this project doesn't fall apart halfway through.

And GL spending the first few years of this revolution to get the Tribes IP. I'm sure by that time TT will start some new little adventure to keep you guys occupied.

Quote of the year...

Rayn said:
TW in this case means the community, which is you because that's where you're reading this. Its clear that some of you drama queens are looking for issues where there are none; or maybe just looking for excuses.

Fucking A!
Put this as the header for TW too.

Arcanox said:
Cheap and affordable? I mean VUG spent a few fucking million trying to make the game. Now although it was fundamentally flawed, and never recouped their production costs in the sales, they still had to originally shell out a shitload of money to get a reputable developer to make the game.

Now I understand your plan will have it's costs marginally lower. I would not even THINK of starting to license someone else to develop a game unless I had close to a million. Now, lets see where would we get that kind of money? Donations? I wouldn't even say thats a longshot. It's completely hopeless.

If you people feel like throwing money into projects that have a chance, let me direct you to Renwerx, Legends and SS2845.

Also, you people think you know something about numbers. Well I know a thing or two about numbers and I know for a fact that things ALWAYS cost more than originally estimated. I do not want to hear that you guys "think" you have a chance at pulling this off. If you want any success you have to know that you can pull it off and hope for the best that this project doesn't fall apart halfway through.

And GL spending the first few years of this revolution to get the Tribes IP. I'm sure by that time TT will start some new little adventure to keep you guys occupied.

Garage Games is very interested in making the game if supplied with Tribes IP.

Frankly, they will make the game they want, and that will be that. They can do that without us paying them money because every cent they make goes right back to them since they wouldn't be going through a publisher.

Where we come in is helping pay for a few of the costs, and by doing that, we then get a little control over the outcome of the game.

Now think of this. If GG only has to make a game, and we cover the costs of getting it out to the world, then that’s some huge margins they are playing with. More then they could ever make from being paid upfront to do it.

It wouldn't be hard for them to make, as TSE pretty much is Tribes. It would be no more work then Legends is. But with a lot more support, and more talent on the project, the game could be Tribes 3, and become the most successful of the series.

But see the problem is, when you deal with the internet and TW. You are dealing with Monopoly money.

I doubt TW will ever come close to aquiring the Tribes IP. Why? Well first of all it's an asset that is worth money. T:V's colossal failure could be linked with VUG's horrible management which took place after Sierra was aquired. Therefore it would give some incentive for other companies to purchase this.

It's a when and not if VUG will be sold off. The company is massively in debt. Their creditors will pressure them to sell off all of VUG's assets to the highest bidder. Enter companies like EA and Microsoft. They will simply buy all of Sierra and everything attached to Sierra including the Tribes IP. If you're suggesting you want to outbid those companies for ownership of the Tribes IP, good luck.

Furthermore I doubt VUG's management even wants to sell off assets on a per item basis. They would much rather deal with a more reputable company that can shell out 3x as much money for an asset on a whim.

Again, this brings us back to the question. Even under the radical circumstance that we are able to purchase a high price item like an IP, where would we get the money to see the rest of the game through the development cycle?

My suggestion is that everyone on TW take out a second mortgage on their house to get this sort of money. That sounds like a reasonable and affordable plan, right?

T2 Linux help

I'm trying to get T2 running on linux (ubuntu hoary) and I'm having a problem getting the 25034 patch to work. I know that lokigames is defunct and no longer supports the loki_update tool, but there is supposedly a way to hack the patch script so it works.

I downloaded a 'fixed' version of the loki_update script, ran it, and I got a little farther than before. I now get an error to the effect of 'no matching delta for console_start.cs' or something like that.

I do have T2 for windows installed on another partition, so I could just copy over the updated vl2 files, but of course I would still need the patched linux binaries.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
pocketgamer said:
Garage Games is very interested in making the game if supplied with Tribes IP.
Marweas said:
Despite the many claims that Garage Games could develop that spiritual successor, I haven’t heard from Jeff T that he’s interested. It is certainly fair to say that this option offers much promise, but it’s hardly a given.

Yeah it's true. But unlike the Legends team, we're going to make our "Base" very much like T2C.

It will be left untouched and open to evaluation/change to the community.

Last edited:
...so your going to re-do all the work legends has already done to turn the torque back into tribes? ... this will be out soon :rolleyes:

Back